SPIN TOGETHER spinning event

I’ll be on a different team since I had been invited before we decided to do one here. This one will be on FB only for posting progress; we will not have anything on “the other site” at all. I hope you can still do a team!

@Callielw, We’d be thrilled to have you on our team! Stay tuned!

I would love to see a similar event here.

Okay, so any suggestions of how to do a similar event here? I’m happy to help lead this. We can sort of take our cues from the “real” one and just do a smaller version this year. Call it “getting in shape” for next year!

I think that’s a great idea. Need to think of a name, something catchy that is different from the one that r is supporting. Also, not sure about prizes, @fancykitty, maybe a couple of small prizes, nothing huge. Maybe a prize for most yards spun and a prize for second place? I think, at this point, there are only 4-5 of us but we could advertise it and do it after the r one finishes up. I would also think that we could do singles only this year and aim for teams next year. If we do ours after the other one had finished, then @amazinggrace could spin with us. What do you think?

that should be @AmazedbyGrace. Sorry about that.

The FiberKind Spin-In (Year)
Or,
The FiberKind (Season) Spin-In
if it works out to do a few a year = themed Winter Spring Summer Fall,
(and now I will have James Taylor playing in my head for the rest of the and possibly into the night

“Spin 'n Grin,” “Spin-Silly,” “Spinalot,” “Spin Your Heart Out,” “Head-Spin,” “Spin for Joy,” “Spinacity,” “Spintaneous.” I kind of like “Spin-In” also, as suggested by @wheat, as it doesn’t require explanation.
Another: “Spintasia”

Never been in a spin event, is it still open to join? Were to go on the details. Is it about yardage, single, 2 ply , art yarn? If to late to join I’ll be following along to learn the ropes/yarn : ) Sounds like fun, I have a Joy2 and it needs a workout!

ETA, @wheat, why oh why did you say that, I got that song in my head now too ; /

I quite like the idea of not necessarily trying to make it in time for the October one; we could aim for one in January, which would give us time to promote it. Isn’t there supposed to be a January spinning event anyway, one where you get out your wheels and dust them off and your husbands are supposed to harass you? (in fun) I was thinking someone mentioned that when we were planning the Spin de Fleece.

I have been in one “Spinzilla” and one local “spin-off” (ha ha) of that through my LYS. Since TNNA discontinued Spinzilla, the Spin Together organization has sprung up this year, which I think has similar goals. To sum up briefly, the goals I remember were for members to spin for one week, and to tally up all the team yardage to submit to headquarters. Yardage was basically determined by whatever went through the orifice, so if you spun a 2-ply, you measured its length (as with a niddy noddy) and multiplied by 3 (two plies plus the plying). A 3-ply would have its length multiplied by 4. Each team had a captain to whom totals and photos of finished skeins would be submitted by a certain time after the close of the week. Prizes went to the winning team and each team could award its own prizes to team members. That is only a rough sketch but you get the idea. It sounds like we can come up with our own rules since we are not an official team. The event is enjoyable in that you have to think ahead and perhaps set your own goals that will add up to yardage.

@Carlota, That is great, lets me know what I’m getting into, : ) . I like that the ply’s can be multiplied. It does sound like fun, I’m in! Thanks

Oh, yes, good idea, St. Distaff’s day, I believe. I’m fine with a different event altogether as you suggest. We could have our own rules or something similar to Spinzilla as I was mentioning to @Fiber Passion. And as you say, we could talk it up.

Yeah, thanks for the ear worm. LOL Turn, turn, turn.

I like all of them.

January would be great! I have so much to complete before Christmas that I’m up to my neck in projects. Owl cowl, dinosaurs in eggs (3), unicorn in egg (1) Leo fur scarf, due the end of the month and some lovely Santa Cruz roving on the wheel to finish. Yes, let’s make it for January and I love the St. Distaff day theme.

Linda Gagnon asked me to let you all know in Spin Together the following: “My computer is in the shop so am reduced to my tablet till Tuesday.”

Oh, that’s so thoughtful of you, @LeoLady! I would love to be able to participate in another Fiberkind event. I had already committed to the Redding Method team for Spin Together, but if you all plan another in-house event, I’m all in! <3

On her regular “Taking Back Friday” podcast, Episode 83 on YouTube, Felicia Lo of Sweet Georgia talked about the Spin Together event (Oct. 6-12, 2019) and how she plans to participate even though Sweet Georgia is not sponsoring a team. It does give some other ideas for making use of this challenge time for those who are interested but not signed up with an official team. Here is the link:
https://youtu.be/en1xeWld9co

I’m Back!!!