Roving Regulars

That’s probably not a bad idea to post weekly. I haven’t posted every day either. Some days you just don’t have time!

I love your “weight gain”!! You’re rolling along!

Good for you, @strawberryroan - it will be neat to see your updates! I have a couple of SE2SE projects started, including a full Shetland fleece that I hope to knock out during this event.

@Readyfox - How neat to have a sheep farm with a yarn studio nearby! What kind of sheep?

Saturday and Sunday I barely got in my minimum of spinning, but I hope this afternoon to get in some major spinning time! I’m trying to learn a new drafting technique (long draw) and working with carded wool, so I’m a bit “slow on the draw” (bad pun, I know). I feel like I am learning to spin all over again and having a bit a challenge in getting consistently smooth yarn. I have some videos that I watched last night and can’t wait to try again this afternoon with hopefully some improved results. I know some people like to make yarns with slubs in them, but I’m not going for art yarns at this time! (And obviously I need work on keeping my feet out of the pictures!)

20200830_153914.jpg

20200829_163204 (1).jpg

Your spindle and whorl resemble the ones I got from Hershey Fiber Arts. Any chance yours are from there too? Are you spinning supported or grasped? That’s a whole other love of mine - fun to see your post.

Nice roomy bobbin there - how do you like your Magpie?

I love your challenge spinning idea over the span of SdF - so exciting!

@Carlota Yes, Hershey Fiber Arts!! Love her work. I spin grasped, with a handheld VIking-re-creation distaff. (Also from Hershey Fiber Arts)

You?

Well, I haven’t spun anything yet. I am tempted, but it’s been a really tiring …day, weekend, week, month, year ? I’m having a hard time getting motivated to do anything.

I keep looking at my wheel, which is in our living room, so I see it every night as we are sitting, watching tv, and trying to relax from our stressful days, but it stays in the corner. I need to get it broken out of the corner and start a spinning project, any project … maybe even just do some odds and ends ? HELP! How do I get motivated to do more spinning ?

I have been doing some knitting and crochet, but not nearly as much as I was doing last year. hopefully I’ll get out of my rut soon (both fiber and life ruts).

I LOVE my magpie :slight_smile: It really helps me focus on the fiber and how I can improve my spinning technique!

Just keep spinning and you will start to see a difference. Blessings

Here’s one thought: Goal 1, nudge the wheel out of the corner, and carve out a little space for it. Goal 2, do “Eeny, meeny, miny, moe” and pick some fiber from stash. Goal 3, set timer for 15 minutes, spin - then stop and put a check mark on your calendar for the day. Do the 15 minute thing every day and take a bobbin shot to share the end of week 1 if your feel like it. Lots of us are doing odds and ends, spins already in progress, prepping, just getting a kick out of seeing some movement of any kind. Don’t think too much about it. Last year, all I did was prep a little every day and it was fab.

Me too (love her work)! Thats’s so interesting. I spin suspended, supported, and wanna be grasped - have done a little and will do more - besides the Hershey similar to yours I have used a Neil Whiteley French spindle that kind of works with my odd hybrid of grasped/supported if I am seated but the whole distaff thing has me fascinated. I turned a very crude short distaff on my husband’s lathe and haven’t really used it much yet - so many different ways to spin and I do love wheels too, but spindles are so much fun. I’m about to start a shawl from support spindle-spun yarn.

Well, I did get some spinning done today. Just opened my fiber box and grabbed the bag on top! I got two small balls of some 716scuttlebutts Merino/Firestar/SariSilk on the bobbin! 7 more little balls left in the bag. I was half afraid I would have forgotten how to spin in the year hiatus, but I remembered fairly easily … :slight_smile:

Here’s my Day 3 progress…

[IMG2=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“src”:“http://fiberkind.com/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==”}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“src”:“http://fiberkind.com/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==”}[/IMG2]

0831201853.jpg

0831202052_2_Signature.jpg

Stage 3. Happy to be actually getting spinning done again. Hit an hour of spinning. Photo is refusing to post :frowning:

@Carlota I started with drop, then support, then learned grasped from a hybrid French/Russian by…gah…I can’t remember her name, but she made spindles and posted videos and I have her “rose” spindle. :frowning: Then learned grasped with distaff. There’s a FB group for distaff spinning that I follow. Also learned from Hershey Fiber Arts videos on distaff spinning.

Wow, that’s awesome! It sounds like neat fiber too - good for you!

How pretty - those colors are wonderful and I love the shine!

I remember the videos about the rose spindle. I should look for the FB group for distaff spinning. I love the Hershey videos too.

I agree with @Carlota just jump in and do a little bit. And we are here to help (enable) getting your mojo back! :slight_smile: