Roving Regulars

That is so pretty! Love how it turned out.

Finally got a chance to watch some of the TdF YouTube highlights and also got some serious spinning time in yesterday.

20200831_153725.jpg

I am continuing with the challenge. I did not post yesterday, but I have been spinning at least 20 minutes per day since the Tour de Fleece started. Here is where the bobbin is today

Oops did not get the photo posted and can’t see

Good for you for jumping in! I love that this SdF is motivating some of us who have set spinning aside for whatever reason—other projects, lack of motivation/ruts, the disruption of life this year, etc. Hopefully getting back in will help be a stress-reliever for you. Keep on taking just small bits of time and it will come back!

Sat 8/29 30min Fiber C.J. Kopek Happily ever After 94% Merino Wool, 6% Stellina Purchased 8/18/18 At the Michigan Fiber Festival.

Sun 8/30 30min above fiber

Mon 8/31 30 min same fiber

Tues 9/1 30 min same fiber (almost halfway done)

That’s good to hear!

Today I spun one ounce of roving to fresh bobbin #7. I think this will be the last bobbin and then I can start plying, probably by Friday:).

I love your colors! I agree with Carlota–that bobbin looks nice and large!

Keep up the good work!

It will be fun to see all your yarn!!

Today I spun another approximately 1 ounce of fiber onto bobbin #7, and I was pleased to find another ounce already prepped but in a different color bag - yay for every little bit - maybe I will have enough for sleeves! This was my first ever raw fleece purchase and I did not overbuy. I see now why spinners intentionally overbuy.:rolleyes:

Stage 4: Finished the orange bobbin which completes the 5 ounces of BFL from an unknown dyer. It was a lovely spin! Then I broke out the John Arbon Devonia to begin my next sweater spin. I’m practicing continuous backward draw (short backward, but you keep moving your fiber hand back until you reach a repeatable distance from your orifice/treadle a consistent number of times). This fiber is divine. :slight_smile:

19b9f4643ce3af03257a9f5ea96a4332jpg.jpg

e80dde8a25bd046dafb23989d9c54d50jpg.jpg

I love the subtle hues in this.

Yay for the extra ounce! I hear you when it comes to having enough! I was thinking I would make a sweater with my shetland fleece, but not sure that’s gonna’ happen. I’m thinking of maybe ordering more Shetland in different colors and doing a half-hap. I may end up ordering some that’s already prepped and ready to spin, but just spinning it long-draw so they will be similar in texture. Can a person do that in the same garment?

Beautiful BFL–it looks like such warm colors.

So, my question is–is the continuous backward draw different from a long draw? I’m working on learning long draw (see my posts in the Fearless Challengers) and it seems to be exactly what you are describing? The video I was learning from was this by Rachel Smith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufd81nhx9WI

@Carlota FB group is called the Evangelical Church of Distaff Spinning. It has nothing to do at all with church or religion–it was just a small group of folks goofing around with the name when they started.

Sat 8/29 30min Fiber C.J. Kopek Happily ever After 94% Merino Wool, 6% Stellina Purchased 8/18/18 At the Michigan Fiber Festival.

Sun 8/30 30min above fiber

Mon 8/31 30 min same fiber

Tues 9/1 30 min same fiber (almost halfway done)

Wed 9/2 30 min spun – 10 min on the kopek and 20 on some red bamboo that is really fiddly to spin. The 10 min finished the first bobbin of the Kopek

Thurs 9/3 30 min back to the Kopek Happily ever After.

Today I spun for about an hour, and attached the very last ounce of roving for this spin. I’m starting to get a little bit sentimental about finishing these singles. Is that silly or what? :rolleyes:

Oh, that’s cute - I get it - thanks for the info. I was wondering, does your distaff have a ring for your finger, or have you ever tried a ring distaff? I’m curious if they are comfortable.