November 2022

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone !

We are having a very quiet day, just dh and myself for the day, with ds1 coming out of his bedroom for lunch and then hiding away again afterwards. Summer (dog) and I did have some great Fetch in this very warm day outside though !

Lunch is a precooked smoked turkey breast that is currently warming in the oven. The last potatoes form my garden, some carrots from the garden as well… stove top stuffing of course, and I also made some deviled eggs and some wrapped pickles (just cream cheese and corned beef).

I am also going to do the Turkey Trot 2022 from MarlyBird. She has knitting, crochet, and tunisian versions of this free pattern released over 4 days starting today. She removes the pattern in early December, but I figure it will be fun and I can save what I need so that I don’t get stuck without directions if I don’t finish!

3 Likes

Here is Day 1 for both the knitting and crochet versions of the Marly Bird Turkey Trot KAL/CAL

4 Likes

I was thinking about doing her along this year. Yesterday just wasn’t a good day for me to start anything.

Is the knit version a closed circle?

1 Like

Yes, the knit version starts with 266 stitches in a circle, but you start decreasing right away.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Late Thanksgiving wishes to everyone. I was very busy, 2 children with spouses and 6 grandchildren kept me occupied. Made dinner for all, my daughter and son did help. I made my daughter deal with any dish that had gluten :slight_smile: I think we used every spoon in the house!

3 Likes

Our dessert was gluten and dairy free! It was made with a homegrown Tetsukabuto squash, coconut milk, eggs and maple syrup. Topped with CoCo whip and pecans toasted with cinnamon and sugar. Since it’s a vegetable, it’s good for you!!

7 Likes

I know it’s too early to really tell. But, @Spice2s do you have a favorite design yet? The crochet or the knit?

I rounded up enough worsted weight to and the supplies for the knit. I just need to decide to jump in and try it.

1 Like

I got Day 2 of the crochet pattern done late last night, but haven’t gone past day 1for the knitting pattern.

The knitting pattern actually gives you two completely different choices. One is texture based, and the other is a stranded colorwork option. I think I’m going to go with the stranded color work option … but I haven’t started Day 2 on that yet.

Day 3 of the Crochet seems fairly short today, so once I get that done, I will jump over to the Knit version … I will have to make decisions by then of what I want to do.

The crochet version is more geometric / mosaic. I chose Red Black and white, so it’s very contrasting ! Hope I can find someone who likes red black and white to wear it, as that is usually my problem making these items. I can make it, but finding someone who wants to use it is a totally different story.

Have you jumped in yet @hereami ??

1 Like

That is beautiful, and very creative.

4 Likes

Just finished day 3 of the turkey trot cal…

Now off to work on day 2 of the knit one.

5 Likes

Not wild about card exchanges but I do have some cards for causes up on Zazzle. For those who don’t know how Zazzle works–everything is “normally” overpriced, and everything goes on sale for a day or a night, every week or two. If you let Zazzle send you e-mail you’ll know when cards go on sale, and can pounce. Cards are a category that goes on sale quite often.

Not yet. I was listening and she said to use a worsted that was on the thinner side. Mine is thicker…so now I have doubt.

I am using a dk/sport … 273 yards / 100 grams for the knit pattern It’s Nako Elit Baby Muare and Knit Picks Brava Sport. - still using Size 6 needles though. I chose the stranded knit pattern, and the fabric is plenty thick with the extra strands on the back. I might have gone up a needle size or two and reduced the pattern repeat if I had known how thick it was going to be, as I tend to prefer lighter weight knits.

If you want to do the knit version, and have a thicker yarn, I would definitely go with the Holidate version, which uses color blocks and textures instead of stranded colorwork in Painted Leaf version.

and Knit Picks Brava Worsted 218 yards / 100 grams for the crochet version.

Both seem to be working fine. Although I haven’t measured the knit one yet. The crochet version seems to be pretty close.

2 Likes

I’ve spent the last few days doing all my Christmas shopping online - using the Fiberkind affiliate links whenever I could! I do enjoy the convenience of online shopping. Even though my daughter, SIL and grandson will be here for Christmas, they have to take their gifts home on an airplane. My SIL will only be getting paper pictures of his gifts. I didn’t think it would be a good idea to try to take a knife set home on an airplane! I had his knife set and big cutting board shipped to their house and my daughter promised to hide it until after Christmas. I’m worn out from sitting in a chair shopping for two days. I need some knitting time!

4 Likes

Whew…I made it through last weekend.
Relatively unharmed and almost in one piece. LOL.

Playing with fiber was de-stressing and a bit of therapy or Me time.
When people did not play well while we cooked together in the kitchen…that’s okay I had a glove to work on.
When California traffic was too much for me I knit with a tweed yarn while someone else drove.
When gossips talked about my estranged children and myself, while standing 5 feet away, …I thought about starting Marly Birds newest alongs.
When things at church got overwhelming I …oh never mind… I cried for an entire hour in front of friends and strangers. Can’t be strong and in control of every emotion, all the time.
So very Happy to be back and to attempt to finish a project or two.
Did any of you use your crafting as either an escape or as a way to unwind from the events of the weekend? Please…tell me I am not the only one who hid with their crafts.

3 Likes

Sending virtual hugs dear. Many virtual hugs.

I wish I felt up to crafting over the weekend. Hoping to get some in today.

Slept in and now it is time to get cleaned up.

1 Like

I had my happy time peppered liberally with stress over Thanksgiving as well. Overall, it was a great time, but there were times I had to retreat and gather myself again so I understand. Unfortunately, I wasn’t at my own house much of the time (my sister-in-law hosted and everyone brought their stuff to her house), and not only didn’t have my knitting with me, but there also wasn’t really anywhere to knit if I’d had it other than the bathroom, and I think there would have been a lot of annoyed people if I had sat and knit in the bathroom! :scream: I’m sorry you had such a stressful time but glad that you were able to seek refuge in your crafting. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Awww… Thank you, you guys. Holidays are stressful for so many of us. We can and will get past the drama. Sometimes alone, sometimes together.
Oh…I did have a good time. The food and coffee were fantastic. I have learned to pick out the good and keep moving. Things will come back around to those who were naughty.
Next time I have a plan. When people start gossiping I am going to run up and loudly start talking about my religion. With an intro something like…Since we are talking about touchy subjects let me tell you about Jesus. Or perhaps, “Oh goodie…are we talking about people…” then start chattering about the hard parts of their lives. "My friend, how is life treating you since you cheated on your wife, the mother of your children? A quick pivot then say, “And Sue, honey…are you still banned from the ALL the local doctors offices because of your temper?” If that doesn’t make them choke on their appetizers then it should at least slow them down enough for their brains to catch up with their big mouths.

Hmmm…I sound angry. :crossed_swords: Time to craft …Imagine my speed today…LOL! :crossed_swords:

3 Likes

I’m sorry you had such a stressful holiday. I do understand because mine used to be stressful but five years ago I told my family I was done being treated the way they treated me. Best decision I ever made and my husband loves that I am no longer stressed out by my family’s antics. Now my holidays are peaceful get-togethers with just my husband, kids, SIL and grandson. We have no drama, just nice get-togethers. I often wonder who started the idea that we are supposed to get together with family even if they are horrible. It really doesn’t make sense.

I’m also sorry you are estranged from one or more of your kids. I know what that’s like too. My son was not part of our lives for years. Growing up, he had a lot of issues - ADD? a processing problem? As hard as I tried, we never figured it out. Now I think it could be that he has high functioning autism. That wasn’t well understood when he was young. It made for a stressful growing up for him because he was never performing the way others wanted him to. When he turned 18, he left. We only heard from him sporadically. I really thought I would never see him again but I prayed regularly for him to have a change of heart. Two years ago, we reconnected and we offered for him to come and stay with us because he had lost his job due to Covid. He is still living with us and we are fine with it. So keep praying for your kids and your relationship with them. God can make miracles happen.

4 Likes

I went to JoAnn’s today to pick up an online order. I didn’t want to go if I didn’t know I was going to get one of their Doorbusters. Nice thing about ordering online is I got the deal but didn’t have to be in the crowded store. It was very quiet when I went today. I got this little organizer cart for the other side of my knitting chair. The organizer table on one side and this on the other. I was the most excited by getting Scrubby yarn in the Jolly colorway. They wouldn’t let me order it online because there were only two in stock. I don’t understand that system but the two were still there today so I got one. Everyone needs a Christmas themed dish scrubby!

7 Likes