May 2023 Chatter

That is GORGEOUS! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Beautiful work.

2 Likes

Oh, my gracious! You have such skill. It is gorgeous!!

2 Likes

Good morning! I just got a newsletter from Megan Meyer of Left in Knots. She is a crochet designer who has been around for a long time. It appears that her husband has had a brain tumor for 20 years (!) and it has started growing again. He has to travel for treatments, missing work, and from what I can gather she designs full-time.

Anyway, she is running a fund-raiser for his travel and treatments, and I thought some of you might want to help out. The link is: Purchase a Pattern Bundle

Below I’ll give more of her e-mail, if you are interested:

My husband has been battling a brain tumor that has steadily escalated in aggression for over 20 years. Unfortunately it’s back again, and we don’t exactly know what his next steps will be or how it changes his prognosis. For the indefinite future, he will be flying cross-country for treatment every 28 days. Depending on what his next treatment options are, he may have to stay away from home longer.

I am working on sharing our brain cancer story in a blog post so that I can share it easily. In the mean time, you can find the story I have shared so far on Facebook or Instagram.

I want to be fully transparent. My patterns are FREE on my blog. You do not need to purchase any of my patterns to use them if you don’t want to.

Visiting my blog, sharing links to my patterns, and shopping through my affiliate links are all ways that you can support us without paying anything. So I just want to be really clear on that.

If you do find a pattern bundle that you like (there are 4 to choose from) - THANK YOU for your purchase and support.

If you choose to share a link to our fundraiser or a link to one of my blog patterns on social media - THANK YOU for your time and support.

THANK YOU for being here. Having the work flexibility from my blog has been such a blessing during this season of life. It has allowed us more time together as a family, and it has allowed us to remain flexible with treatment options for my husband. My blog would not exist if it weren’t for readers like you. Thank you doesn’t feel like enough, but truly. Thank you.

2 Likes

@HeatherAthebyne Your work is amazing. So beautiful.
I went to the site you linked. Wow! She is so talented. I am going to bookmark it so I can go back later.
Thank you for sharing that.

2 Likes

Wip Wednesday
I have two projects I am concentrating on this week.

1. Continue working on the edging of my spring fling crochet blanket.

2. I was able to work on and finish my first quilt top today. Scrap jean fabric plus some misc other fabrics. Since it is scrap…I think I will go to the thrift shop and look for a bed sheet for the back.

@Char since it is kinda heavy from the jean material…do you think I should get the quilt batting? Or should I just back it and then anchor the two panels together with either stitching in the lines or using thread to tie/knot together strategically?

5 Likes

You probably should use batting. Without it you’ll feel the harshness of the seams if that makes sense.

You might try a batting that has fluff but not a lot of weight, like a polyester batting or a thinner cotton. Normally I recommend cotton batting or an 80/20 cotton/ poly mix but that can add to the weight.

What are the dimensions of the top? You can look at the bagged batting at Joann’s to get an idea of how heavy the batting is. When you decide what you want it may be less expensive by the yard, or a coupon with bagged batting can make it reasonable.

2 Likes

Oh, I also think you will like the “quilting” of the layers better if you stitch it. The ties won’t last as long.

I like making the quilt sandwiches using pool noodles. I pin baste with the curved basting safety pins. This method uses spray basting. You have to be careful about using it indoors.

Pool noodle basting

If you have floors that don’t have carpet some people baste on the floor (or table if you have one big enough)

Tape to floor basting

2 Likes

Did you make this by hand?! Amazing!

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t have an embroidery machine so it’s all by hand.

2 Likes

Totally amazing!!! In so many ways!

2 Likes

Another recent finish. Silk painted applique embroidered over with silk, metallics, and spangles. The ground fabric is a shot silk dupioni – black warp and blue weft. Makes for a really neat color/shade shift in person.

5 Likes

Another GORGEOUS creation! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

One last thing for FO Friday, actually finished today. Kit needlebook which I had to get a bit creative to finish – the instructions were not the most clear so I’d trimmed some of the fabric too close for the finish with one of the felt pages as the lining. I wound up using fusible interfacing to attach the fabric to the interior of the card, and more fusible to cover the whole back with some ivory silk dupioni. The felt pages got stitched right through the spine, catching the tassel cord in the process. Much happier with this finish as the dupioni looks really good and I get four leaves instead of two for needle storage. I wish I’d thought to incorporate a ribbon closure, but I like it fine as is.

5 Likes

@HeatherAthebyne your embroidery is stunning!!!

2 Likes

Wow. So pretty.

2 Likes

Wow, also impressive, and your new embroidery piece is gorgeous. You have got skillZ!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I posted about the hummingbird nest we discovered on top of the light on our front porch when we found it, but haven’t said anything else here about it since (at least I don’t think so). We discovered that she is a black-chinned hummingbird and she laid 2 eggs…one of which has now hatched! We have set up a camera to watch the nest, but it is impossible to get the camera at a good angle to see down into it at this point (unless we cut a hole in the eave directly over it, which we don’t want to do!). This video is one I took of Mama the day we found the eggs and she was NOT happy with how close I was. The video ended when she actually pecked me in the head, making it clear I was not welcome to peek at her nest! We have learned that hummingbirds grow from their starting size of 1/4" long at hatching to the same size as the adults before they leave the nest, 3 weeks after hatching. So, to accommodate her rapidly growing chicks, the nest is made from a lot of spider web and cocoon silk so it can expand as the chicks grow, which means that after a while, we will be able to see the chicks in the nest with the camera we have set up. For now, the last picture is the best picture we can get inside the nest. You can easily see the unhatched egg and the dark blur to the left of the egg is the newly hatched baby.

10 Likes

Any Mother’s Day happenings?
My older daughter happened to be close for a commencement so she spent the weekend here. I got brunch cooked by my younger daughter and the three of us went on a Pokémon catching walk.
It’s barely 50 and cloudy here. Another beautiful Door county weekend :face_with_raised_eyebrow: oh but it might be 70 tomorrow
My younger son might take me to our favorite sports restaurant for an appetizer and to watch the Brewers game this afternoon. But we’re still full from brunch so we’re staying home for the first couple innings
My bucket list is to attend Brewers game on Mother’s Day some year.

4 Likes

It’s a rainy day here. Nothing special planned for Mother’s Day. I had a nice chat with my daughter who lives in another state. We did carry-out Indian food for a late lunch. One of the dishes was great and the other was so salty, it was inedible. I did call the restaurant and let them know and they offered me a free meal next time.

2 Likes