May 2023 Chatter

@Lemming13
Wait…you have a bee hotel?
When is the Kings coronation?

1 Like

Saturday!

Coronation: Crowds roar for the King and Queen as they appear on Buckingham Palace balcony.

2 Likes

Thank you @Char
I am learning how to do html code this week. My brain is full and I didn’t event think about searching the internet for the info…LOL.

1 Like

I do have a bee hotel - in fact I have various residences for them. There is a colony of tree bumblebees living under a cotoneaster in my front garden; mason bees routinely nest in my crumbling front wall; and last year a wild honeybee colony moved in to the stump of a Californian lilac which was downed by a storm. But the bee hotel is very popular with various types of solitary bee and overwintering queens. It nestles in amongst ivy and winter jasmine, behind a pear tree.

1 Like

@Char
I was given a whole bag of 4 inch squares for quilting. Woo Hoo.
Now, I have to figure out what to do with them. LOL!

2 Likes

Sweet!!! Look for “charm pack” quilts. Charms are 5” so yours will be smaller, but it may give you inspiration!!!

1 Like

I have a new bee house for the first time this year. We just put it up after keeping the bees in the frig over the winter. They haven’t emerged yet, but they are supposed to be a mix of mason bees and leaf cutter bees. Looking forward to seeing them.

4 Likes

That sounds amazing - I’ve never kept them in a fridge! I love beewatching, but I warn you about mason bees - they can be a bit scary, because they hover protectively in front of their holes if anything large (like us humans) come by. I have never been stung by one, though, it’s all a show on their part.

1 Like

Thank you @Char

2 Likes

I bought the kit for the house with bees that came packed separately, with instructions to keep them in the frig until it warmed up. So the house went up a couple of weeks ago, but it has still been pretty chilly here (North Central AZ) at night. The bee provenders claim that all solitary bees are not aggressive. But bumblebees? They can be quite aggressive near the nest. I was once attacked & got 7 stings up my forearm. So you be careful near that cotoneaster!

2 Likes

All this talk about Bee Hotels got me really curious.
So I looked them up online. They are so cute and can be small. I was thinking they were bigger like a bee keepers box. I might have to make a few of these and hang them in my yard. (Also…apparently lady bugs will also use this kind of hotel)

https://growitbuildit.com/how-to-build-a-bee-hotel-guide-with-pictures-from-log/

2 Likes

Well, my thumb is still crazy sore, so still not crafting. I am, however, trying to do some scrap management and organizing. I am using Lori Holt’s thoughts. I am also thinking I now have a decision on folding my yardage so I can better use it. So, maybe that is crafting. Lol

Not much yet to show for it, but it will get there. I didn’t much like sewing with scraps before but I am getting to like Lori Holt’s Scrappiness is happiness book. :slight_smile:

Maybe in a week or two I can start sewing again.

2 Likes

Hello all! Show me Sunday? I want to gaze upon what everyone is working on. :fk:

2 Likes

Making progress on my scrap jean quilt. I am doing this the only way I knew how. I cut the squares and am sewing them together in a 9 patch design. I have about half completed and half that are halfway completed.

I am listening to Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities as I work.

3 Likes

They look great!!! How do you like sitting at the machine??

1 Like

Done!

1 Like

The knee pedal is awesome. I enjoy staying focused on the stitches and fabric and end up loosing track of time. My little dog finally interrupts after an hour or so. ( I made it to the part of my audio book where Madame Defarge is talked about in detail)

Whew…crazy times. No crafting done this weekend.

What did you all get done??

2 Likes

Oh, I just saw this, @Lemming13. I am going to ask my husband if he’s ever had these. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Wow! 28 new messages in one group! But then when I read through them, I found that they were up to a week old because I wasn’t following the other group they got transferred in from. I’m glad, because I was wondering why things were do quiet lately! I have finished all the hats for the set I’m making for my niece’s coming 2nd baby. I had to order a different yarn for the top because I realized that the worsted acrylic I had was going to be WAY too warm for a June desert baby. I’m still making the blanket from the same yarn, so I am working on it while I wait for the DK cotton/bamboo yarn I ordered for the top.

New baby’s hat
Big brother’s hat
Mom’s hat
Dad’s hat
Since my head form is the size of a toddler’s head, and Dad has quite a large head (just over 24"!), his hat looks especially funny on the form. My son (who has an equally large head) tried it on for me and it looks good on him, so it will look much better actually on Dad’s head than on my tiny form!

3 Likes

A recent embroidery finish: Mary Corbet’s Tudor-Style Rose pattern.

Planning to frame it once I can find a suitable one. It’s small, just a couple of inches wide. I love love love this style of goldwork combined with silk embroidery.

3 Likes