May 2023 Chatter

My oldest and his wife were not able to come down for Mother’s Day and my younger son and I are both feeling kinda yucky, so we didn’t really do much. Our Mama Hummer, however, got and gave us a lovely Mother’s Day gift. When my brother went outside this morning, Mama stayed over in the tree and didn’t yell at him and divebomb his head as she usually does, so he took the opportunity to grab a quick picture and found that both of the eggs have hatched. We now have 2 teeny, tiny little hummingbird hatchlings! They aren’t even a half-inch long and only have 2 rows of pinfeathers, so they are kind of funny looking, but they are SO cute!

The babies are supposed to be in the nest for about 3 weeks after hatching, so we still have a little longer to gather cute pics of the babies. The nest will expand to accommodate the growing babies, which means the sides will get shorter, so the camera we set up on top of the light next to the nest should be able to get better pictures soon and we won’t have to bother Mama by getting closer to the nest to take pictures. So Happy Mother’s Day to all the mamas out there, including our new Mama Hummer! :dove: :hatching_chick: :hatched_chick: :heart:

7 Likes

My Daughter and her family came over for Mother’s Day and Steve grilled out. The other two children called and I had nice talks with them. We are all getting together the last week of may so that will be nice.

4 Likes

Only a couple of weeks left in May.
How is everyone doing on this months goals?

I am making progress on the two blankets I am working on.

The weather decided to heat up over here on the California side of the world. I think we were in the high 90s this weekend. Which reminded me I do not have any hot weather crafts planned out.

What do you all work on when the temperatures get hot? Do you have a favorite blanket square, or a summer top pattern?

1 Like

That is very kewl! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

foreign looking babies !

2 Likes

Just wanted to make sure you all are aware that I started the 2023 Spin de Fleece thread here.

If anyone is interested in participating, let me know!

2 Likes

I was awoken before the sun on Mother’s day for a climbing competition for the kids. It was a long day but the kids did really well and the comp ended with smiles all around so it was a good day!:woman_climbing:

5 Likes

Hi everyone! It is WIP Wednesday!!! What are you working on? My thumb is still in a healing state and in a good amount of pain. I’m doing some organizing- as much as I can without a thumb. Lol

I hope you are stitching away!!!

2 Likes

Certainly am! As these things often go, I finished one project yesterday and started two more :upside_down_face: Well, technically, I only started one and I picked up another longtime UFO, but said UFO is a cross stitch pattern I’m developing, and the new one is a quick gift, so… :woman_shrugging: No pics yet, hopefully later.

3 Likes

@Char Thank you for the reminder.
I have collected two more layers for my quilt and hopefully will at least pin them together today.

3 Likes

Just a quick shot of the one I finished. I’ll take a better one for the pattern release. This is based on a late 19th century Sajou pattern; I’ve added pretty colors and some backstitching.

9 Likes

That is lovely. You have such talent!

2 Likes

You know, I always knit more in the summer. I think it’s because as a child I had the time to knit during the long days of summer vacation. Fond memories of knitting with my friend on the screened in porch…

Mostly I remember working on sweaters.

3 Likes

I hardly get any knitting done in the summer. By the time I sit down to relax in the evening, I’m falling asleep. Winter is knitting time for me.

I will get a little more knitting time this summer because I started a knitting group that will meet in a shady area off our downtown Riverwalk. I posted in a local Facebook group and a lot of women said they were interested but only a handful showed up. That’s ok, a small group is nice and we were all about the same age - except for an older knitting friend I called and invited. She is going to be 89 this year. I hope I’m in the same shape when I’m 89!

6 Likes

We got a pretty good video of our Mama Hummingbird feeding her babies today. The focus is a bit off because the camera is so close to the nest, but my brother is going to mess with the settings and see if he can make it better. As it is, the video is clear enough for me to tell that I am VERY glad I didn’t have to feed my babies like this! Mama has to regurgitate bugs to the babies by sticking her beak all the way down into their tummies. I can’t say that it looks very pleasant, though the babies don’t seem to mind it, so I guess it is all good! The video is too long to upload here, but if you :star2: click here :star2: you can see it.

4 Likes

aww…so sweet.
Do you know what kind of humming bird she is?

1 Like

Great idea!

1 Like

We are pretty sure she is a black-chinned hummingbird. There are only 3 species that are likely in our area and she looks and sounds just like the ID stuff we found for the black-chinned ones.

2 Likes

Friday again? Where did the week go…

This was a longtime UFO of mine. Years and years. Finally done now! This is a project out of Trish Burr’s Needle Painting Embroidery book. More details later when I’m back at my desk…

8 Likes

Incredible! Thank you for keeping this outstanding and rare style of embroidery alive. I am in awe of you.

5 Likes