May 2022 Chatter

Wow - that is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Please be sure to share the squash’s progress. I am quite interested in seeing this work. And wonder - would this work for tomatoes and cucumbers too? :slight_smile:

Had a fun Kentucky Derby Day carding wool and watching horse racing. :slight_smile: This is a Polypal/Targhee cross fleece. Very nice. The eggplant looks blue here, but it’s not. It’s a deep eggplant purple.

polypay-targhee blended batts1 5-7-22.jpg

polypay-targhee batts 5-7-22.jpg

polypay-targhee dyed 5-7-22.jpg

Those will go well together.

I feel like I want a hand spa in the bags of fleece. Lol

Looks like your feet will be quite cozy in these socks!

Happy motivation Monday!

My sewing room got turned upside down over the weekend. One of my cabinets wasn’t working well for my needs, and decided to bring in a lateral filing cabinet to file some of my smaller pieces of fabrics. I’ll be able to see much better what I have when it is done. I’m motivated to continue that project so I can return to sewing.

@Char - this is 2 cattle panels and each panel is 16’ x 50". The 16’ gets curved so the tunnel is 100" long. Cucumbers come in both bush and vining and the vining would do well on the tunnel.

I would say no to putting tomatoes on the tunnel. Tomatoes don’t cling like vines. I’ve tried almost every method of controlling tomatoes. I think the easiest is to use the big, sturdy box cages. You can buy them or make your own with cattle panels. I bought some from Burpee with the extenders. They are great except one toppled over when the plant was heavy with tomatoes and we had a really windy day. This year, my cages will each have a steel fence post stake from the very beginning.

I hope you feel better @Char .

For this Mother’s Day my husband agreed to take me to a different church. (which is a shocking gift) The one three of my children attend. We went to the ‘traditional service’ and I loved it. The message seemed to be just what I needed on this holiday. Then, I got to spend time with those three children. If you can believe it…time when no one picked up any form of technology and distracted themselves. Three hours of food, laughter, teasing and catching up. It was a wonderful time.

This is a wonderful gift. If all goes according to plan the veggies grow and hang down inside the tunnel, right?
That would make harvesting them so much easier.

This concept looks like it would work great for pole beans too.

Or flowers…I can imagine walking thru a tunnel full of something very fragrant to enter into a garden, or yard.

That looks like you had a very productive day.
So much work done.
wow.

I hope the new system works great for you.
Will you show us a picture when you are done?

Today I get to take our vehicle into a repair shop. We have a gas leak.
We are getting close to having 400,000 miles on this old minivan, and we know she has a couple of issues. Hoping this fix is relatively quick and inexpensive.

@hereami - I hope the vehicle repair goes well. Your van certainly owes you nothing at this point, but replacing it these days would be terrible.

here’s a picture of some of the fabric that has been put away. I did order some cross bars, though, so I can utilize the space at the back once I turn the files around. I am wrapping the fabric around comic book boards. :slight_smile:

C070B227-7BCF-4D61-88A6-5A4FD24117C0.jpg

@hereami - I’m hoping the squash all hang down because it will be hard to get them on the other side! I’m growing a very interesting variety of zucchini that should look really neat hanging in there - Zucchetta Tromboncino.

https://www.superseeds.com/collections/squash/products/zucchetta-tromboncino

Do you ever notice that husbands are not around when you hear creepy sounds in the house? Mine is out golfing and enjoying the beautiful day while I’m home hearing strange sounds coming from the attic. :(. To make it worse, we have a big hole in the ceiling in the hallway - that I have to go under to get anywhere. It does have insulation across it but no drywall. Hubby just took out a whole house fan and is in the middle of repairing the hole. So, first I saw tufts of insulation on the floor. Then I started hearing the sounds. It kind of sounds like a bird flying around up there. Now I swear the insulation is drooping a little. I’m going out to plant some seeds in the garden - it’s safer out there!

Oh my - hopefully it isn’t bats up there. Outside seems best at the moment.

A lovely day here. Warm with a light breeze.

I got my worm farm worms! I don’t thing the guy I bought them from believed me when I said they were my Mother’s Day present. Actually the present was that my husband contacted the man on Craigslist and arranged the pickup. Not only did he live in Boston, he lived in Hyde Park, a very short drive away.

Very clever!!!

I’ve experienced bats when I stayed at a friend’s 100-year-old house. They were doing some renovations and left an opening in the bathroom. The bats came down into the house. We adults were watching tv and one came flying into the room. I dove under the couch cushions! When it was time for bed, I stuffed some of my clothes under the bedroom door crack so no bats could come into the bedroom my kids and I were in. In the middle of the night, I heard my friend screaming because there was a bat flying around in their room.

Today got worse before it got better. Louder sounds were coming from the attic and then the insulation moved and there was a good sized opening into the attic. I was freaked out. I planted seeds and then stayed out on the porch. I really didn’t want to walk under that hole. Fortunately, I could get to a bathroom without going under the hole. Hubby finally called me back - hours later. He was sure it was the wind. He said he had put a lightweight board on top of the insulation and it was probably moving around with the wind. It was a super windy day. I still stayed away from it until he came home. He went up there, fixed the insulation and the board and announced there was no critter up there. Soon after, the wind started blowing again, moved the board and insulation and left an even bigger opening. He has the new drywall in the garage and plans to
finish the job tomorrow!

@lovestostitch That sounds so scary! I don’t blame you for staying away from it all day. I would start thinking about all sorts of rabid animals.

@Nyssareen I love the photo of your mother. Our children do grow up too fast in some ways, but back then they grew up fast, too! My mother and her sisters lived in Nebraska in the late fifties/early sixties, and they were wearing makeup and having alcohol at ‘grown-up’ gatherings very young – 11? 12?

Then at one point I read a book for kids about newsboys of the 1900s. The pictures are amazing. They were called “newsies”. Here’s an example.

Lewis+Hine+-+Newsies+at+Skeeter's+Branch.+They+were+all+smoking.+St.jpg