March 2020 Sock KAL - Chatter ?

Thanks! I promised my son I’d finish his striped hat next then I’d love to start working on socks. Thanks for tagging me here.

@Ms_AU I look forward to it!

@Ms_AU - I noticed that the pattern Char suggested recommends double point needles. If you don’t own dpns, there are other methods. You can use two circular needles with 16-24" cables or one circular with a 40" cable. The 40" cable is used for a technique called Magic Loop.

I’ve tried all three methods and like Magic Loop the best. Magic Loop is also really good for knitting hats.

I think it helps to have a good book with lots of pictures. I taught myself using “Getting Started Knitting Socks” by Ann Budd.

The Acorn Willows yarn looks lovely. Can those of you who have used it describe its “hand” (how it feels knitted up), please? I’m not knitting socks, so I wouldn’t knit it tightly.

(PS - My “paw” belongs to a Golden Retriever)

Acorn Willows yarn has a wonderful hand, I will order from her again and again.

Sooo - I am planning on beginning a battenberg blanket, and I would desire to do it in primarily Regia yarn for the heartiness and washability of it.

Does anyone have Regia leftovers you are looking for a happy home for? I would be looking for approx 25 grams of each color (doesn’t have to be exact - it’s a scrappy blanket).

Thanks!

Love it!!! :heart::heart::heart:

So many of my Regia leftovers are already made into charity scarves - but you are welcome of whatever I come up with from now on. Good luck in getting the colors you wish to use!

I’ll add my vote for the Ann Budd book “Get Started Knitting Socks” Good and basic. I’d also recommend starting out with something like a 5 stitch per inch sock, and worsted weight yarn. Get used to the construction techniques before dealing with small (tiny) needles and yarn.

It’s more of a challenge to find worsted weight sock yarn and it’s more challenging to have to use two strands of fingering to equal worsted weight. As someone who prefers thicker socks all the time, dk weight is easier to find and might be a good compromise. Lots of yarn companies carry 6 ply which is another term for dk weight.

I always think that vanilla socks are the best way to show off beautiful, colorful, “busy” yarns. Those are going to brighten your day every time you wear them!

Thank you @Char for letting me know about this group!! I LOVE knitting socks, usually my own designs as I’m kinda set in my ways. Lol I use dpns, toe-up, either flk or afterthought heels and I make them to the specific measurement and shape of the recipients foot whenever possible. But when I see a pattern I just have to try I usually make them for charity. I’ve been sending socks to a couple of charities ever since my truck driver hubby informed me he needed all new socks made since the 3 new pair I had just sent him out with were sent home with a grandmother he saw walking in snow in North Dakota wearing plastic slide on shoes. Her socks were on various little hands and feet of her grandchildren. He discovered she was from Pine Ridge Reservation and told her I sent things there all the time and would want her to have them. He said the smile and hug were worth all his socks AND shoes.
I have made 3 pair of socks this month so far, all identical for my daughter who has super large feet. But I’ll.start my participation with a pair made from some Serenity yarn from deep stash and then maybe a green or orange pair from my Knitcrate yarn after I get it put up in balls. I didn’t even know till today that green socks werea “thing” right now. Lol But since they are I suppose it is an excuse to use the green yarn.

1583800284033502550008.jpg

Yes!!! Socks are a “thing” for sure! I am happy we have another happy participant! :slight_smile:

@susanwayne also does charity work for the Pine Ridge Reservation if I recall correctly. I look very much forward to seeing these and future socks!

@KnitsWithHorses - I agree. Busy yarns look great in vanilla.

I love those colors!

I’m really liking the colors in this yarn. Just my cup of tea… Since my socks can’t ALL be orange. Lol

a129919bd5d03a4856afb3c217fa6461jpg.jpg

Very pretty!!! :-). You are just a sock knitting machine!

Two years ago I made so many socks (I lost count after around 75). I got a little burnt out but it’s coming back!

Oh - I should ask -
You saw the “finished” thread correct? There is a list of things you can rack up entries for. If you have any questions let me know. :slight_smile:

These are very pretty, I love the story about your husband, you are both generous people.

These socks were actually started before I found this wonderful community. They are stranded with a solid and a striped yarn. I need to learn how to post a photo and it is a sock - so please bare with me. If this works - pattern is Lucy Neatby Fiesta sock - originally cast on in 2008

7a302b54107bea08feedfc684d290352jpg.jpg