Let's see your handspun!

I like how you think.

I have a couple of bobbins that don’t cooperate. I just don’t use them.

That’s a cute pattern - thanks for linking. Perfect for handspun.

Loved this. Had no idea. What do you think that book was that she had propped up? I couldn’t read it

I love all of the colors. It will be very pretty knitted up or in your pretty rug that you’re making!

Finished the first skein of black Cormo pin-drafted roving that I had processed with rainbow firestar which I had started during our Spin de Fleece. One of my goals is to work on improving my long-draw spinning, so this has been a good exercise, and m getting more consistent. I love how fast it goes, and it’s very meditative.

Since this went well, I’m going to tackle the rest of the roving this way, and then figure out what to make. It’s already quite soft and squishy, but I’m going to lightly full the yarn using Judith Mackenzie’s method, which should help it bloom nicely.

230 yards, worsted weight
Spun woolen draw on Schacht Matchless, and chain-plied
on Hansen mini-spinner.

B1737DE0-393E-48E3-AC2E-9976EC9E0EF3.jpeg

I can only see the large yellow letters but that is all. I will have to ask her what the book is. It looks like it might be about fiber, but I don’t know if that is knitting or spinning.

Amazing! I grew a plot years ago, and spun for an event. Keep working toward growing and processing! Collect the tools as you can, an you will be doing something that is almost a lost art - hand preparation of flax! Wow! I am very impressed! Can’t wait to see the fiber, then the yarn!

Thought I should post here, to prove I do something besides dye commercial yarns. I try to spin a little every day (some days it ends up hours, lol). Now that most of my dyeing for Fall is done, I can spin for a full month and dye that! Top is green cotton, two ply, then some purchased, dyed tops, then some white (Merino/Silk/Bamboo, 80/10/10) which will become part of the fall dyeing. The green cotton at the top is natural, twist set with soda ash, and scoured a second time with soda ash.

960D6CD4-0D92-4994-8D45-F6D20EA2E210.jpeg

Here’s my latest. 221g / 7.8oz / 1689 yds of merino/silk blend from Yarnorama.

164a1e7ed430dc7edb9d3803ad8429e0jpg.jpg

b5b77ef76483a41503b90eb830e69aa7jpg.jpg

Here’s some of mine I gathered all in a pile!

@Grammaresa, wow!! That is gorgeous.

Beautiful, and I hope your foot surgery goes well.

That is a beautiful display of lusciousness! May I ask about the soda ash: I have quite a few skeins of natural white, cinnamon, brown and green cotton 2-ply recently spindle-spun and wheel plied. Do you recommend setting everything in soda ash before warping for towels? I want to mix the colors for some stripes and plaids. I have heard some people go directly to warping and scour later. I have soda ash but have not ever used it and do not have any idea how much or how long. Your green cotton is very striking (everything else too - enjoyed your prior posts seeing all the colors you are getting).

@Carlota : Thank you so much! I use the method described by the Maiwa blog: Large pot with water. 1 teasp. Synthrapol (I use this from Dharma Trading, but if you don’t use/have it, Dawn dish detergent works well), 4 teasp. Soda Ash (not washing soda - just in case someone else is reading this) for each 1/2 lb. of cotton. Simmer 2 hour.

I am not a big weaver, but my guess is the cotton will behave better when scoured (stronger), and since colored cottons change when scoured with the soda ash - they darken in color - it will help you in designing your cloth to know the correct colors.

Post a picture when you get them scoured! I love to see other cotton spinners’ work!

@fluidpaint Thank you so much for those details for my cotton notes - shortly I will be finished spinning and ready to do the simmer - you are right: better to have more known factors going into the designing and warping. Thanks for suggesting the Maiwa resource. Yes, for sure, I will take some photos before and after.

@Carlota Sure no problem. I’ll let you know if I ever get around to doing it.

Gorgeous spinning and skeins. Remind me of crocus.

Pretty pretty pile

I’m in zone 10 so we don’t see crocus here, but do get iris and pansies this color. Definitely reminds everyone of flowers!