Let's see your handspun!

Some of my hand spun, most of it is traditional 2 ply ranging from lace to fingering weight. The white is from an Icelandic fleece I got this spring that I processed myself and spun up, still need to dye it.

5f1b29f160641390c32f898418b9a00ejpg.jpg

0d46bfaaa6db878fdea9bc2024605deejpg.jpg

6b55b37062f6389f0dc62cdb7ba2d455jpg.jpg

daa748fb1be1a77aa53386ccb082ca60jpg.jpg

Some sideways pics of the last few things I’ve pulled off the bobbins… Left is a 85/15 Polwarth/silk blend from Hobbledehoy, spun up fine for weaving. Center is some kind of Merino/silk blend I got from World of Wool, and I’m aiming for fingering weight on that one – it’s destined for a MMario Rosethorn shawl. Right is another blend from Hobbledehoy, probably involving silk, and also spun up for weaving.

2019-07-24_17-17-03.jpg

2019-07-24_17-19-37.jpg

2019-07-24_17-16-23.jpg

Here’s the heap of yarns, along with a few rovings that were spun up later, that were used in my latest sweater, the Swirl Coat of Many Colors. I used 19 yarns, and only two of them were almost completely used up. So now, I’m thinking about what to do with all the leftovers. It was a fun spin!

And here’s the sweater, because it’s done and I cannot wear it until cooler weather shows up.

ETA clarity

E58A7016-2894-46CD-B126-78C85CA3768F.jpeg

72D76A77-88C7-43AE-9433-9C43723DE0D2.jpeg

E41CB0DD-983C-4DDA-ABE5-5BBE40128F8A.jpeg

Your sweater is so amazing! Awesome job! :smiley:

That’t gorgeous! I hope you enjoy wearing yours when the weather cools.

Beautiful spinning!

They are all gorgeous.

Oh this is amazing. I haven’t spun flax but really want to. I’ve had a couple of flax plants pop up in my back yard. I think they were from bird feed but not sure. Did you buy seeds for original planting?

What a beautiful project.

Finished up this skein and I love all the colors. It’s just from bits and pieces of fiber I had left from well I don’t remember what. I may do some socks with it or fingerless mitts. I saw a Berroco free pattern I liked. https://www.berroco.com/patterns/voda. I spin on a Spinolution Mach I that was converted to a Mach II.

IMG_2410.JPG

Thank you so much, @Bettymo!

That is so cool @Floppy2! I have wanted to try to grow flax, but haven’t known how to go about it. I look forward to seeing your progress! :slight_smile:

You did such an outstanding job… I love the colors of your handspun and the finished sweater… so happy and colorful! :slight_smile:

Growing flax is REALLY easy. You can buy seed from here. https://www.twolooms.com/
I had an entire thread on Ravelry on growing flax. I will explain what I did here. Find an area on your property that gets full sun all day. If you don’t have a yard you can use several large garden boxes or build raised beds. Use compost (Black Kow) and a good garden soil mix. Fill the boxes if you are using them all the way to the top. Don’t think they are too full. The rain will tamp down the soil and you may have to add more before the seeds are planted. If you have a bed, do the same. Amend with Black Kow compost and a good garden soil if the soil on your property is poor.

When the frost is gone in your area and you temps are 55 to 60 degrees on a consistent basis, sprinkle your seeds on top of the soil thickly and cover lightly with soil DO NO bury the seed as you would vegetable seed. Water the seed in. Wait. If you see some of the seed on the surface of the soil don’t worry about it. Cover as much of the seed as you can see. Just don’t bury the seed deep into the ground. Flax likes cool temps at the start of its growth. I live in garden zone 6a so the end of March into April is my start time. Find out when spring begins for the garden zone you live in and pay attention to the daytime and evening temperatures.

Once the seed begins to sprout, keep weeds at bay. If you don’t, you won’t be able to tell the flax from the weeds. Weed until the plants are above knee height and then you may have to stop. If you have kept up with the weeding you should not have too many problems with weeds; especially if you have seeded the flax thickly. The reason you do this is to crowd out the weeds and help the flax prevent lodging (falling over). As the flax grows it will begin to flower. Bees will show up and pollinate and the flowers will fall off and seed pods develop. Flax takes 100 to 110 days to develop. If you want to keep seed for the next year, keep the flax in the ground until the pods turn brown and begin the dry out. If you want a fine flax, harvest the flax right at 100 days or just after the seed pods form and the flax stems are yellow halfway up the stalk. The longer you wait the courser the flax will be.

To harvest flax, pull it up by the roots. Don’t cut flax. You will lose part of the fiber length if you cut it. Flax fiber runs from root to head. Tie the flax into bundles and set out or hang out to dry in the sun. Once the flax is dry, rip the seed heads off. You can then do one of two things. Put the flax away in a cool, dry area or rett (rot) the flax in preparation for processing. To do this, lay the dry flax out in the grass to dew rett. Or you can get some plastic storage totes as I do and water rett the flax. I do water retting because it is much faster and I like the color of the flax after water retting. I get a lovely golden flax. Dew retting will give you a silver/grey color and takes about two weeks to accomplish depending on air temp and the amount of dew you get. I rett my flax when the daytime temps are 80 degrees or better for several days.

Do some testing as you go so that you don’t over rett the flax. Take several stems and let them dry in the sun. Bend them. If the boon flakes away from the fiber easily your flax is done retting. Gather it up and hang it out to dry completely. Your flax is now ready to process.

bjr

Thank you all so much! The sweater is sitting in my bedroom, where I can pet it a lot. It’s hard to wait for colder weather to hit, and I’m thinking I will live in it this winter.

Thanks! I love to make and wear handspun items.

What a pretty skein! It should knit beautifully.

I have never seen or know that wool could be willowed! I knew it was done for cotton to open up the fibers but had never seen it done for wool.
https://youtu.be/xsnOTTTy1iE

bjr

This was SO cute I simply had to share! Keep an eye on the sheep in this clip.
https://youtu.be/akwXPgESPgg

bjr

Plowing ahead with this R project I had begun. I will need something to spindle spin white I wait for my foot to heal after surgery next week. Batts on the way.

8dc300b7af0584bc74397c9d4f4ce2aejpg.jpg

2dcf73f3964750c827e5fd29d152a63bjpg.jpg

9841ae8fb557c9cf038cada5d0e8e0a7jpg.jpg