Let's see your handspun!

Latest off the spinnrer: 75% BFL, 25% silk (Assuming tussah). Headed for the dyepots in September…
3 horizontal bobbins are 3-ply, vertical is 2-ply.

8C0822FD-8CBE-414F-AF9C-11DD8F806FF6.jpeg

I love the shine on that stuff.

Haven’t spun for almost a year, but did the spin a long here and got the bug again. I did some bunny for the spin a long, but decided to try to spin up something fast and a tad thick and thin. Not my best, but it was fun. Then I knit a cowl with it. I needed to do something mindless since I am knitting a Pi Shawl and it is taking forever, especially since I just tinked 3,000 stitches to get to a major unfixable boo boo.

IMG_0983.jpg

Love2knit, are you aware of lifelines? A smaller cotton/slick thread run through the stitches (usually at the end of a pattern repeat)? Some brands of circular knitting needles even have a slot in the cord so the lifeline is there as you knit. I don’t knit lace anymore without one; they’ve saved my bacon more than once! Of course, it means you must check your knitting after each repeat for accuracy, or you still may have to do a major think!

I love the gradient of the cowl!

Been practicing spinning cotton. I got some green sliver several years ago from a grower in AZ. Practiced all day and yay got some on the bobbin with quite a few mishaps. I’m not a long draw spinner so I taught myself that too. They go together.

IMG_2455.JPG

@fluidpaint Thanks for cheering me on. Glad to hear that when I get back to it I won’t be starting all over and can just pick up where I finally left off. I gathered up all my bits and pieces the best I could but it was very breezy outside yesterday. The info that came with the cotton also said if I wanted to darken the green to add some ammonia when scouring. Depending on how much I get, I might try that. Can’t wait for my crop to come in. My cotton tree has been having the most beautiful blossoms so I know something’s coming.

Hello-I’m new here on Our Unraveled but have been a knitter/spinner for many years. I now only have one spindle and my Ashford Traddy for spinning-downsized when my husband and I retired and moved to a small apartment. I’m recently getting back into spinning -especially spinning down some of the bits and bobs I have in my stash in hopes of getting some of it knit into winter hats, gloves and mittens. I’m finishing up some laceweight singles of Merino/Silk today(called PUMPKINS ON THE VINE) and perhaps next week I will be able to tackle the silk blends and one lovely pound of natural BFL that has been in my stash for quite some time.

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 1.23.45 PM.png

Hi MrsBee, that yarn makes me want the fall spices to come out of the cupboard - beautiful. Did you see that there might be a spinning event coming up in October? Here is that topic:
https://vb.ourunraveled.com/forum/spinning/spin-a-longs/18161-spin-together-spinning-event

Hello, and welcome, MrsBee! Lovely yarn, lovely color. Pumpkin spice latte, move over! So glad you are back to spinning in your small apartment. Don’t know if you are able to think about an e-spinner or not, but that is what I use. I have MS, and can’t coordinate my feet like I used to, so I moved to an e-spinner (Hansen). The footprint for the spinner is less than a square foot, and it can easily be stored.

Keep spinning! Glad you’ve joined us!

That sheen is a dead giveaway that there is silk! Awesome

Well,
Did not think carefully about how I was going to get up stairs to find my Russian spindle to give this a test spin. Oh well…

Thanks Carolota and fluidpaint! Finished the spinning and this is my yarn! I’ve been so busy spinning and knitting lately that I’ve been neglecting checking in on the groups I belong to!! I will certainly check out the spinning event you mentioned !

P1100298.JPG

Fresh off the wheel and out of the washtub! This is 580 yards/198 grams of DK-weight Knit Picks Gloss roving (70/30 merino/silk), hand dyed and cable plied for a total of 4 plies. I had originally dyed the white fiber with pink zones, but that was well before I grasped what “weight of goods” meant in dyeing so I got far more pink than I bargained for. The fiber sat for a while until I hit it later on, in the braid, with some purple – and then the fiber looked like, well…

[IMG2=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“height”:“147”,“width”:“258”,“src”:“https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/8/8e/DisneyCheshireCat.jpg”}[/IMG2]

Anyhow, this is probably destined for a shawl. I haven’t picked out a pattern yet, but it probably won’t be long until I find one.

cheshire.jpg

That’s amazing - nice work. I’m laughing at your comparison to the cartoon, but honestly, it is beautiful and quite subtle in my view.

Thanks :slight_smile: It is a lot more subtle spun up. It was much less so in the braid :slight_smile:

Also, I see you have the Succaplokki gauge; I have their spinner’s control card and really love it. It will be fun to see what you make of your beautiful yarn - hope you will post eventually on that.

@Char; here’s one that is beautiful!

@Char, here are some gorgeous handspun yarns.

@Char–here’s another gorgeous option for “FO Friday!”

I finally got this merino off the bobbin. I plied it a while ago. It still needs washing.
Can’t remember who the dyer was. I think Spunky Eclectic. Spun and plied on my Spinolution Mach II

Merinospin.jpg