July 2020 Sock KAL Chat - Let's be patriotic!

That’s the beauty of the yarn, it almost knits itself. :wink:

It took me 50 years to get the courage to knit my first pair of socks. Bet you can beat that!

I’m going to be the odd one out and say I love dpn’s. I’ve tried two circulars and Magic Loop and didn’t like them. One thing I do is to put stoppers on the ends of the needles I’m not working with so the stitches stay put. I generally use size 0 or 00 for sock yarn.

When I started I used Worsted weight yarn and size 5 US needles to learn the construction. These made great bed socks for the winter.

I hope you realize you’ve walked into a den of enablers, sock knitters may be the worst. :wink: I agree with recommendations to knit short socks with thicker yarn to begin with or make child size socks. You learn construction techniques more quickly that way and stop being intimidated by them. I am also a one long cable needle sock knitter. I also usually do cuff down but occasionally do toe up as well.

@pinesprairie I was a knitter for many years before I finally tried socks. I had Char, my mom and my sister with me that weekend to help me. I did get them done, and after the first pair I was hooked!

I will say I am a fan of using two circular needles on each sock, and I like to make them at the same time, so I need four circulars for a pair. Sock (fingering weight) yarn would normally take a size 1 needle, but loose or tight knitters may go up or down in size. Gauge is key, as you could end up with a pair offsides that fit you, your toddler or your husband if gauge isn’t right.

My preference is working my socks toe up because I can try them on (using the two circulars you can do this) and I really like the fish lips kiss short row heel. It fits well and is really nice to knit. My bindoff is very easy, and makes a very stretchy cuff.

Can I say “Oh Holy Cow” here? Oh Holy Cow! (Yep, I still say that). Thanks for all of your input, it’ll take me a few days just to absorb all this. And here I thought I was ahead of the game with a size 0 and one a little bigger circular (see, learning the lingo already) but it’s only a 9" cable and a sock book. Fooled myself, didn’t I?

I’m a very tight crocheter so I don’t know if that matters. And I know myself well enough that I better try TAAT or I’ll have a corner of single socks in addition to the UFO corner. I like the idea of short ones but having long ones from heavy yarn for bed socks in the winter seems like a must. Hmm.

@lovestostitch Is Magic Loop for socks only or knitting in general?

@FreedomLover I think you’re right, you all are enablers. But I bet you don’t know how many questions I can ask, are you ready?

And how about a little lesson on tips? There is so much information out there it can be overwhelming for a beginner.

WHY do people like to knit socks so much?

It’s fun to make them and wonderful to wear them.

@pinesprairie -

with a size 0 and one a little bigger circular … 9" cable and a sock book.

Yes, this would work.
:slight_smile:
I sometimes compare knitting to cursive writing… we all have our own unique handwriting… our personal signature… our favorite tools… yours will likely be different from others’…

WHY do people like to knit socks so much?
For some, it may be the satisfaction of creating by hand in this high-tech world… the joy of seeing incremental progress… the luxury of having something so comforting… the combination of novelty & practicality… the connection to tradition and ways of past generations… the artistic endeavor… the challenge of umpteen new patterns… the mathematical puzzle involved in making changes and customizing…

@pinesprairie I like to knit socks because they are fun & challenging and I have ugly feet so it’s nice to make cute socks to cover them up! Have you tried to crochet socks? I have seen patterns all over the net, I have not tried but it might be fun.
I crocheted for years and had a hard time learning to knit because all the books and videos I saw were English knitting and I just couldn’t use my right hand to hold that working yarn. Then I discovered Continental knitting and found the web site knittinghelp.com. There are videos for everything and it is so helpful in learning, especially when you don’t have someone close by who knits. Also, I use magic loop for all projects knitted in the round. Hats, socks, doilies, on and on. And, it eliminates having to use double pointed needles for decreasing. It’s addictive!

Magic Loop is for any circular knitting.

Tips - I highly recommend longer tips as shorter ones can give you hand cramps. I use HiyaHiya Stainless Sharps with a 5" tip. If you don’t like sharp tips, HiyaHiya makes a stainless in a regular tip with a 5" tip.

I see @knitter131 recommended the Fish Lips Kiss heel. That is a nice heel if it fits you. It doesn’t work for me. It gives me a tight band on my arches. I tried all the suggestions that FLKH people recommend but that just gave me a sloppy fitting sock. The other thing I think is a concern with learning toe-up is it is hard to learn when to start your heel. The FLKH pattern has a template that is supposed to tell you when but that didn’t work for me either.

The hardest part of knitting socks is deciding which way to do it! Whichever way you try, don’t get frustrated if you don’t like that method. I have tried every which way and I just looked at it all as a learning experience. My first pair of socks (made without any help) was huge. The pattern had small, medium and large and I chose large because I have long feet. I figured out that large was for really wide feet!

@Rose the Rebel Yay, continental knitting - I’m taking an online class in that right now because for the life of me, I can’t make my fingers do it the “regular” way now that I crochet. I’ve tried. So, before I can even attempt socks, I have to get my fingers to cooperate. It’s been a challenge. And here’s the thing with crochet socks. I think any kind of knitted wearable just looks so much sleeker & nicer than it’s crochet counterpart. I’m not sure why, it’s just how I see it. So if I’m going to poke a toe into the sock making area, I’m coming here where all you experts are.

@lovestostitch I appreciate the tip recommendation, I don’t even know what I ended up getting.

My eyes kind of glazed over on the Fish Lips Kiss (who knew?) have to come back to that.

However, I have crocheted Christmas Stockings so maybe I can call that a start.

Thanks everyone, you’re all very kind here.

My thoughts exactly @pinesprairie knitting just looks and feels so much more smooth and clean. I first wanted to learn so I could make socks but I realized I had to learn to knit first. I made tons of dish rags rather than making useless swatches. You just have to learn at your own pace and use resources that make sense to you. That’s how we all learn.

Just so y’all don’t think I’ve forgotten, I had to come back and start reading everything again. There is so much helpful information there and I’m going to have to take it a bit slowly. I’m still working on a couple of crochet blankets for the grands and can’t disappoint them but will be back every day. :fk:

Grands outrank everyone else so definitely get those blankets done first. :wink:

@pinesprairie - if you want to do a short row heel, the FLKH is a good one. I think the designer scares people with the massive amount of verbiage in her pattern. It is actually a simple pattern and there is one page that explains the actual construction of the heel. All the rest is about making a template and her idea of the science behind her technique. I read it through once, made a template and then pulled out the one important page.

Thank you @lovestostitch I do appreciate the information. I’ve been checking out needles today but please don’t tell @Char, she’ll call me a knitter.

@pinesprairie - I highly recommend a quality needle especially if you do Magic Loop. You want one with a really good, flexible cable.

@keidamkyo, I’m just checking in to see how your socks are coming along?

Ooh I LOVE this yarn!!! These are going to be really lovely socks!

@pinesprairie BOY did you come to the right place!! Many of these folks have the patience of saints. I think you are off to a great start learning continental. I grew up knitting English and had to reteach myself in my 40s after 20+ years of throwing because of a shoulder problem that was aggravated by the right arm movement involved knitting English. I personally love those “tiny little sticks” but I also enjoy magic loop and two shorter circs. I’ve had the best and quickest results when teaching newbies when we use two short circs though. I usually teach the basic techniques and sock construction for the first go with WW slipper socks as they go quicker and are less fiddly for someone new.
I second the motion of whoever said it is WELL worth while to get a decent quality of needle as it will make a huge difference in your experience with knitting socks. Can’t wait til a few months down the road to hear if you end up preferring toe up or cuff down and flap and gusset, afterthought heel, fish lips kiss or whatever. I suggest looking up some videos for specific techniques. Even with great written instruction there is nothing to make it click like seeing it done. Or, if possible one of those video meeting apps so someone can actually talk and demonstrate directly to what you are attempting.
Fair warning though, once you get the hang of it, store bought socks may never measure up again! It’s been years since I or my youngest daughter wore store bought socks and now I have a couple of teenaged grandkids getting way too attached to handknit ones too! Kinda wishing our family didn’t have such big feet!