July 2020 Sock KAL Chat - Let's be patriotic!

I totally understand the grands thing. Mine go from 6 to 17 and are everything to me. I thought when they started getting bigger they wouldn’t be interested in handknits anymore, especially since all but one are boys, but they still call up or text and say, “Grandma, could you make something like…” I usually can but sometimes they give me a little too much credit! This summer we’ve been learning to hand dye yarn and they are all clamoring for things knit up from their dye jobs. LOL

@KnitsWithHorses Yes, I can see the passion here for knitting socks so won’t feel too bad looking for more advice and asking questions.

@KnitsWithHorses It’s so good to be blessed like that! I know exactly what you mean, I too thought the requests would stop but they haven’t. They ask for things that cause me to spend time in the child world to even figure out what they are but it’s so fun to try. We’ve certainly had some laughs at a few of the attempts to recreate.

I love your idea of hand dyeing yarn with them and then knitting it up. The younger one would really like that I think. What did you use for dye?

Today I went back and read quite a bit of what’s already been posted about needles. Based on the success stories and recommendations, I think I’m going to start with the 2 short circs (catching on here). Regardless of assurances otherwise, I do expect a few odd looking items to begin with. I like the idea of the Magic loop so if I can get to where my socks look like socks, I’d like to give it a try.

I understand about high quality items and know that if you have the ‘right’ tool for the job, the job is always much easier.

Thanks everyone!

Hook, line, and sinker… lol

Wait. I have grand blankets to finish! I’m just preparing. Collecting what I might need. Gathering information.

Okay, maybe on the hook.

Me too!

@KnitsWithHorses I knit socks TAAT on one long needle these days, but I also love those tiny little sticks. They’re especially great for knitting in public, people can’t help but look and try to figure out what you are doing.

How wonderful!

LOL @FreedomLover That’s exactly what scares me about them! I first saw socks being made with them in a hospital waiting room years ago. Not wanting to intrude, I instead kept sneaking peeks but had absolutely no idea what they could possibly be making (until recently). Maybe someday though, I never say never.

@pinesprairie with the kids I pretty much only use food dye with vinegar or else koolaid. My granddaughter who is turning 13 and is very artistic wants to learn to make natural dyes, as do I but we haven’t yet. I live on a homestead so we have lots of resources for it. :smiley: The koolaid is by far the simplest since it already has citric acid, isn’t harmful (although it can be harmful to those who actually drink the stuff but that’s another rant for another time and place. lol) I think in the Stashbusting MAL thread you can find pictures of Ryley(12) and Sawyer’s (10) first go. So much fun!!!

If you get ready to try magic loop, look for videos on how to do TAAT Toe-up. It will rock your world. :wink: TAAT stands for two-at-a-time.

Appreciate that @KnitsWithHorses!

Trying again…

IMG_20200709_121532.jpg

Love it! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: It works now.

@Char Oh good! Probably my weenie wifi glitched or something. LOL You aren’t going to believe how big this wrap is. She really wanted people to use sport weight yarn to get usage figures but since my gauge is always loose, I really should have used fingering. I have a 6 ft wingspan and this thing is nearly twice that… I’ll measure it after blocking but it is huge. I’ve been wanting something I can wrap up in at church when they finally start having in person meetings again but it’s been pushed back… again. Can’t go now anyway but Oklahoma is having huge numbers of positive cases the last couple of weeks. Can’t imagine why… (eyeroll)

@KnitsWithHorses - you might be able to cover everyone in your pew! (In a social distance responsible way of course).

I like the colors you have here.

This months prize:

I have finished a reversible knot bag I hope will be pleasing to everyone. I have found these to be a great size to carry along a pair of socks in progress and their yarn.

First side:

Second side:

069FAF59-1134-4314-8DD9-8DC11B4C0416.jpeg

8C3EF991-0F39-480D-86C4-FCC7CA06702B.jpeg

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! I knit outside and, before Covid at least, in public a LOT so I use a lot of small project bags. I usually crochet mine and they are quite plain. This one is super cute!!!