July 2020 Sock KAL Chat - Let's be patriotic!

Thank you for the link, that’s now on my list of things to make.

I added the “how to” to the How To’s section! :slight_smile:

https://fiberkind.com/forum/general/tech-support/22801-how-to’s-and-faq-s#post60612

Thank you, @Char - now I can hopefully do this myself. By the way, your how-to section is great with all the pictures and diagrams :heart::heart:

@Char - just saw your suggestion today since clicking on notifications isn’t always taking me to the new post. I’m missing comments unless I happen to find them.

I really wanted a blue toe to stand out so I am doing TAAT and using up the red and white and hoping I make it to the toe. I’m doing a big patch of red and I think I’ll put some white on the
arch.

@lovestostitch there is a pictorial in the How to’s section (post #8):

https://fiberkind.com/forum/general/tech-support/22801-how-to’s-and-faq-s

But essentially:
Click on notifications
Then click on notifications again
You will see a “filter” option. Click that, then click on “both”. You’ll see all notifications - even those the system has assumed you have read. :slight_smile:

@lovestostitch @Char - I have occasionally experienced an anomaly with Notifications. I find that when a comment has scrolled up into “previous comments” due to a number of newer comments being posted, Notifications will take me to the Forum, Sub-forum, and topic post, but necessarily to the reply post, or to the scrolled comment.

It is not immediately apparent, but eventually I find comments that were posted days earlier. :slight_smile:

@Char gifted me a skein of Cascade Yarns Heritage Prints Color 52 and I used some of it with stash white yarn to make Chevron socks. I cast on with it again to make summer shorties and have a mindless project. Back in the day I would have called this a purse project but I’m not going anywhere that I wait these days.

20200706_082501.jpg

Yay! Two pair for one! :slight_smile:

@FreedomLover it’s beautiful yarn, and it’s great use of what’s left - you started toe up which is great, because you won’t be playing yarn chicken. Great going! I also never seem to take my “purse projects” with me anymore. We so seldom go out, no need.

I think I have enough for a pair of shorties but figured I’d do toe up just in case. I can always add white to the cuff if need be.

I’m already liking these. It must not take you very long to make them.

Sooooo, if I wanted to learn how to knit socks, how long do you think it would take a non-knitter?

@pinesprairie - I personally think that any project a person WANTS to do is much easier, than any so-called beginner project that someone else might assign to them. Therefore if you are interested in making a pair of socks, then I think that is a GREAT first knitting project for you!
:slight_smile:
I think it would take maybe a week or two, depending upon how much time you can find to sit-and-knit each day (including potentially frogging any errors to re-knit an area - rip it, rip it).
Here is one potential pattern to consider: Easy Peasy Socks, courtesy of shiny happy world (2010).

That’s a great way to look at it. My next question is, would they even look like socks when I got done? Just kidding (well, only sort of). You should have seen my want to make amigurumi results. Not so good. LOL.

Oh my gosh, YES, @pinesprairie … they will look like socks! As you begin, feel free to post as many pictures and questions as you wish. People here are knowledgeable about many different things, and generally love to share what they’ve learned along the way. You’ll get lots of help and encouragement.

Thanks for that. Now that the can is opened, what do all you expert sock knitters recommend for needles? And what size? There are so many. None of those long toothpicks though. I have enough trouble with yarn and one hook much less yarn and 4 of those.

@pinesprairie - my favorite is two circulars. Just like crochet, you’ll use smaller ones for “sock yarn” but it also depends on your gauge. Do you tend to be a tight crocheter or loose crocheter?

@qfknit, you too. I know everyone has their favorites so would like to hear about them.

I’ve tried double points, two circulars and Magic Loop. I totally recommend Magic Loop which only requires one circular needle. It just needs to have a longer cable. I use 40". Magic Loop is a valuable method to learn, it’s great for hats, sleeves, anything circular!

As to how long it will take you - that depends on how fast you knit. Why not make a pair of short cut socks as that will get you through the process but it will be much quicker. You could also use sportweight or dk weight and that will be faster.

Needle size - that depends on the yarn you choose and your tension when knitting. I’ve used sz. 0, 1, 1.5 and 2 - depending on my yarn choice. It is important to get a tight weave to make your socks durable. If you have some small size needles in any format, you could knit a gauge swatch and see what size works for you and then get a circular in that size.

Then you have to decide if you are going toe up or top down. I recommend top down with a heel flap because I think it has a more flexible fit. If you have high arches, I especially recommend a heel flap.Though I love the look of short row heels, I can’t wear them because they make a tight band across my arch.

If you decide to do a heel flap and need extra help, I did recently make some videos on the heel turn and picking up stitches for my friend to help her navigate through it. They aren’t fancy videos (my dogs make an appearance!) but I’m happy to send you the youtube link if you need some help.

Socks are so fun to make. I hope you will join us!

@pinesprairie -

Yes, although some people love “sock pins” or double-point-needles (dpns), to me they are unwieldy toothpicks. I am grateful for the invention of modern circular needles.
I tend to prefer knitting socks with one long circular needle. If knitting a first pair of socks with a pattern calling for worsted weight yarn, I would suggest maybe a size US 8 (5mm) needle. I personally like a 32" fixed circular needle, and use the “magic loop” method to control the extra length of the cable or cord (there are lots of different youtube videos to view the magic loop technique).

About circular knitting needles:

• There are interchangeable circular needle sets (for each project, a knitter can mix-and-match any cable length and any knitting needle size) and fixed circulars (one piece, with the needles and cable or cord permanently connected).

• Fixed circular needles are measured from tip to tip.
    From the tip of one needle to end of that needle, PLUS the length of cable or cord, PLUS the length of the second needle.
    So a 32" circular might have 5" needles (aka “working ends”) and a 22" cable or cord.

• In general you want a circular needle with a cable or cord that is not too stiff.

• Circular needles come with a variety of materials for the working ends, including bamboo (Clover or Takumi brand) or metal (Addi Turbo… Nova Cubics Platina). There are many brands, these are just a few that I have purchased and enjoy using.

I tend to knit socks top-down most frequently, as I find it easier to create a stretchy and resilient sock opening by casting on… rather than binding off.