January 2023

In my home? One!!!

I am doing a MAL to finish WIPs by March 31, and I counted 19! Plus, I have started three new projects since January 1!

4 Likes

Well, I have some fewer than that I believe….

I’ve completed 5, have my least favorite and no particular timeline five remaining plus one grad quilt that I need to decide what border I am going to put on it. Not “due” until May.

I really feel like I am in good shape. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am not a cross stitcher, but I stumbled across this ingenious little thing and gave one to my dil (who is a cross stitcher) for Christmas. It is magnetic on one side and you can also use it to sharpen your needles (though I’m not sure how). She hasn’t given me a report on whether she’s used it or not, but it looks like a GREAT idea! Walmart, Joanns, Herrschner’s, and Amazon all have them, but the best price I found was at Amazon, though they weren’t actually “expensive” anywhere.

2 Likes

I live not far from Vegas and my brother and sil had the same thing happen when they were having an old palm tree removed from their yard. There were TONS of black widows infesting the thing. We also had the same problem with a pomegranate bush that used to be in my backyard when I was a kid. We found it because my sister reached into the bush and got bitten 10 times when she was 13. It was bad. She was in the ICU for a couple weeks and it screwed up her immune system for life. Black widows are known for being solitary, but around here they tend to live in colonies!

1 Like

Thankyou.

Oh my word!!! Took me 5 minutes to see the elephant in the room…lol.
Love this quilt!

2 Likes

Lol I was also a married student housing resident living in old 50’s buildings. Ants came in through a crack in the exterior metal wall

I loved married student housing though.

2 Likes

If you can fit the yarn or fabric in your craft room, you can start a new project!

Says someone with two totes out of craft room in the laundry room…

3 Likes

Happy Distaff Day, Spinny Friends!

2 Likes

This is why I love the Midwest and a good, freezing cold winter. The bad critters don’t like cold. I hated gardening in TX because I was always afraid of what I would encounter. Here, I don’t even wear gloves most of the time. I only wear them because dirt is so drying to the skin.

2 Likes

My son said he couldn’t see it but it’s there!

2 Likes

Oh goodness - I have a long way to go. Lol

1 Like

I saw it right away.

3 Likes

My family lived in student housing between ages of 9-11 or so. The house we lived in had interior walls that were made of some form of balsa wood. It was not ideal!! To keep with the bug theme: I do have a strong memory of a cloud of mosquitos around the light in my parents’ bedroom. They could not get rid of them!

1 Like

For anyone who wants to do the Stashbuster MAL again this year, we now have a 2023 thread under the community tab where we’ll keep all of our stuff. thanks to @HeatherAthebyne for fixing this for me.

4 Likes

I have ticked two more UFOs off my list. One I have not had happy feelings about for over a year and it was time to let it go. The QFK facilitator said people will sometimes put such things in the annual garage sale fundraiser and others that love them, so I have ironed the pieces, put the pattern in there, and it will be donated to the fundraiser. :slight_smile:

And I finally settled on a border for this one and it is ready for quilting.

I believe that leaves me with four quilty UFOs left. :flying_saucer:

6 Likes

I only laugh because that reminds me of the home of my early marriage SO much! I’m not sure if the walls were balsa (that’s insane!) but I know that you could easily carry on a conversation with someone in the bathroom while you were in the kitchen. There was no door between the rooms, but they did share a wall and it was SO thin! I was always anxious about using the bathroom when we had company because if you made any noise it could be heard in the kitchen and I didn’t want anyone in the kitchen/living room listening to me using the toilet! :scream:

1 Like

One of our bathrooms has a common wall with the family room. The tp holder is on that common wall. If someone is unrolling tp, you get this thump-thump sound in the family room.

2 Likes

Okay, ladies, I have a knitting question for y’all. Well, really more of a design question. For Christmas this year, I gave my oldest friend her choice of what she wanted me to make for her and a choice of yarns for it to be made with. She decided she wanted a shawl or wrap from the beautiful 100% merino DK yarn in the pictures, which I have 3 full skeins of. (The colors didn’t turn out great in the pictures, but they run from a dark red to a deep lipstick pink to an almost coral orange.) She is in early menopause and rather than having hot flashes, her crazy body is giving her cold flashes. So she wants something that will take the chill off when it strikes from nowhere, but still looks pretty and not like she’s wearing a blanket.

I am intermediate to advanced in most types of stitches from lace to cables and am pretty confident with learning new stitches and styles. I don’t have a whole lot of experience making shawls, though I love looking at them. I have dozens of shawl patterns saved, but I have only ever made 2 and they were the “shawl in a ball” type so I didn’t have to worry about getting the right yarn for the right pattern because they came together. I would love to do something with some lace touches because she has always been very feminine and loves things that are pretty and “girly,” but I’m not sure if a lace design would just get lost in the colors of the yarn. I am open to advice and suggestions, so please, lay 'em on me!

3 Likes

My husband saw it right away.
I was visually following the line to the right (tail) and knew there was ‘something’ there, but couldn’t see it until I talked it out. It made no sense that way, because the feet would be shaped all wrong. LOL…that’s when the light bulb when off…lol. Oh, it’s an elephant ! LOL.

1 Like