January 2023

I have been working my way through my UFO list. And I haven’t started anything new. :slight_smile:

I have finished 2 NICU quilt tops, one that I found and didn’t want to put on my UFO list so I finished it, and my fall quilt I started last August. I have plenty of time to get it quilted and binding put on before fall…. Yellow isn’t really my color, so we’ll see if I keep it or what happens…. I can always make another one more to my liking. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I think it’s fabulous. Your work is always so amazing and beautiful.

1 Like

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I just wanted to check in quick and let everyone know that I am still alive. I had my one-week follow-up with my surgeon yesterday and he took the splints out (halleluiah!) and said everything is healing well but I still have a way to go until I am back to normal. I am breathing fine without the oxygen and am able to use my CPAP at night again, so I am sleeping better. I haven’t gotten much knitting done while I’ve been down because staying conscious for more than an hour at a time was about the limit of my abilities most of the time. I’m still on pain meds so I’m still kinda dopey, but I am tapering off now so hopefully I will be able to start feeling like an actual living being again soon. Kitty is still here and keeping me company, and I think I am going to have to declare her my emotional support cat so my sister and bil can’t take her back when they get back from their son’s house! She is such a sweetie and I have been so grateful for her cuddly little self keeping me company while I’ve been so miserable. The pic is where we found her yesterday when we got back from the doctor. She has the whole bed to lie on, she has the whole ROOM to lie on, but she chose to lie half on the lid of a box. Silly kitty!

5 Likes

If she fits she sits!!!

Here is Maggie - my support kittie. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

I actually got the laptop out for the first time since my surgery today to see if I could start deciding what shawl pattern to make for my friend’s gift and this is what happened. I think she was a little jealous of the attention it was getting over her!

6 Likes

She must be a really sweet kitty if she is being so friendly at someone else’s house. I always thought kitties didn’t do visiting very well.

1 Like

Yes, she is the sweetest kitty ever! She came to stay with me about 18 months ago when my sister and her husband had to be away from home for a couple of weeks, but she was just as friendly and sweet the first time she came and I’d only met her once before that! She has adopted me as “her” human at this house and hasn’t shown the least interest in leaving my room to explore the rest of the house, but she is friendly to everyone else, as long as they come to her. The only time she hasn’t come to sit with me within minutes of my sitting or lying down was when I first came home from the hospital. I’m not sure if she was pouting because I had been gone so long without her permission or if it was the smell of the hospital she objected to, but she got over it within a few hours. If I wasn’t able to have my beloved sister with me while healing from my surgery, I am grateful that I could have this sweet little companion as a stand-in for the worst part of my healing. :cat2: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

I am supposed to be working today. When I went out to my office I found a huge spider guarding the door. What the heck!!! I covered it with a cup, and my husband said to put something heavier over it hopefully to keep the cats from tipping it over, so I put a glass bowl on top. I’m not sure my tower can hold the spider in, but here is hoping.

2 Likes

You got close enough to cover him - you should have stomped on him! I hate spiders!!

When we lived in TX, I attended this garden walk/talk. It was so hot that I backed off the sidewalk to seek some shade from some tall bushes. I looked over my shoulder and there was the biggest spider I had ever seen, hanging in a web right over my shoulder. I started screaming and ran out of the shade back to the hot sidewalk. The speaker paused, everyone stared at me while I mumbled, “Big spider!” They must have realized I was a Midwesterner because the native Texans accepted these monster spiders as “good spiders.” I guess that’s true since they have little, poisonous spiders.

3 Likes

My husband traveled to Texas for work several years ago and he said the further south he went the bigger the spiders were - to the point he could see them crossing the road as he drove. No thank you!

2 Likes

Finished object Friday! I just pulled this off my blocking squares. It was a fun, easy knit. Pattern is called Easy Goes It.

4 Likes

You got closer than I could have! Ok, big long ramble here!

I got married in 1996 when I was 18 and moved to Davis, CA, where my then-husband was attending school. We were in married student housing that was built sometime in the mid-1950s and I was basically home alone all day while my husband was in class. One morning, I went into the bathroom to find this HUGE black spider (I swear it was bigger than my hand and I don’t have small hands!) in the tub. I screamed and not only left the room and slammed the door but stuffed a blanket into the crack under the door to keep it from coming after me that way, then called my father.

Me: Daddy! There is a GIANT spider in my bathtub!!
Dad: Silence
Me: hyperventilating
Dad: What do you want me to do about it?
Me: Kill it!!!
Dad: Cez, I am 1,000 miles away, I can’t come kill it before it goes away on its own. You’re either going to have to kill it yourself, wait for your husband to get home to kill it, or never use the bathroom again.

I ultimately decided on option 3. I not only didn’t go into the bathroom all day, but I also gave the bedroom door the same treatment as I had the bathroom door (you had to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom) and stayed as far from that door as possible. I even went to my neighbors and asked to use their bathroom at one point because I was pregnant and needed to use the toilet more frequently than normal (the wife was the only one home and she agreed with my course of action re: the spider 100%). When my husband got home, he laughed at me and said he didn’t like spiders either, but he would see what he could do. When he went into the bathroom, there was no sign of the spider so he laughed even harder. It had, of course, been about 8 hours so it had probably been gone for hours but that created an entirely new problem. I was sure it had gone down the bathroom drain and was terrified to use the shower for months!

After being a single mom and the only adult in the house with 2 littles for many years, I had to kind of get over my insane fear of spiders for a while. But now that my boys are both men, they know that if any 8-legged demon-spawn are found in the house, it is one of their job to deal with them, because I will be hiding in a closet with a towel stuffed under the door! :spider: :door: :scream:

4 Likes

lol… you guys are so funny. I actually like spiders…when they stay in their own house, outside. Like you, once they come inside I have to decide what to do with them. Usually I just take them out to the garden area.

We have black widows around here. The benefit to knowing where your black widow is living is you can leave her alone to do her job. I had one living for months close to my AC unit out back. I left her alone and was able to garden and such in my yard without wondering where one would be.

2 Likes

A question for those of you who cross stitch.
Online, I have seen a few people use what looks like a magnetic needle holder on their work.
Does any one know what this is called and where I can purchase one?
Big box stores do not carry such a thing.

It is a pretty button sized thing they are keeping on the top side of their work.
Thanks for any help.

1 Like

Needle minder! I think Etsy has a lot of cute ones. I made my own out of a couple of buttons with shanks removed and strong magnets glued on the back.

2 Likes

Is there ever only one spider? What about her family? My friend’s sister lived in Las Vegas and she hired these guys to do a garden hardscape job. In the middle of the job, she sees them packing up. The supervisor came to her and told her that she had a Black Widow infestation and they wouldn’t do any more work until an exterminator got rid of them.

2 Likes

UFO #5 is done - I have to say I am pretty giddy about this one. I hope the child that cuddles under this one loves it just as much.

5 Likes

I like spiders too, but my daughter hates them - I use a shrimping net to remove them. Ours aren’t poisonous though (except the false widows, and they aren’t lethal).

So - how many finished UFOs warrant starting another project? Lol

2 Likes