It is FiberKind's First Birthday!

@lovestostitch - did you decide on a pattern?

@Char - I finished my first square. I have picked another pattern from the same book for #2.

Oh yah - I had a spacey moment. LOL - does that tell you about my week? :fk:

Every time I go to Joann’s they have a bin of clearance yarns. I can’t help myself if I see something that catches my eye. Needless to say, I have a ton of acrylic yarn. I decided to do a block in Enterlac since the last year it has been my new fun stitch.

I picked a pattern for a second square. It is a 12 row pattern. I got through row 6 without any issues. When I did row 7, it didn’t work out. That made me actually look at what I was doing. My square looks nice enough but I sure don’t see how it looks like the picture.

This is the pattern picture:

This is my square:

Does that look like the same pattern to anyone?

Also, can anyone make sense of this? I cast on 37 stitches. Row 7 says:

K1, *p3, k5; repeat from *, end last repeat k1.

I figure 37 stitches minus the first and last k1 = 35 stitches. P3 + k5=8 so 35 divided by 8 but that equals 4.375. Either I’m making a mistake or the pattern is off. The pattern also says Multiple of 8 plus 5 sts. That makes sense in the other rows but not this one. Help me out here to tell me if it’s me or the pattern!

2EA97674-4450-478E-8F89-3699E2A61BB0.jpeg

E70EEADE-9F37-4DBC-883A-02C3D184D4F0.jpeg

I think it is the pattern. From the picture it actually looks like it starts and ends with a p3 k1 - they forgot that p3

I do think it looks like the picture ( or will)

After studying the pattern, I think it should read:
K1, P3, K5, P3 to last stitch, K1. I believe this gives you the 37 stitches.

<<Does that look like the same pattern to anyone?>>

If I read the snippet of instructions correctly, “Row 3 - K5, *p1, y”… there may be a yarn over in Row 3?
This may form the little center hole in the middle of the raised, purl-stitch donut?
I do not see an eyelet or yarn-over in your piece so far.

Just my 2 cents.

@lovestostitch - I’m posting one 12-row repeat of the knit stitch pattern, that I worked from your pattern photo.
@Char gave a good indication of the pattern’s difficulty in Row 7, and @knitter131 re-worded Row 7 perfectly! :slight_smile:

Updated post to say:
After completing another repeat of the pattern to test out the notes I had written, I noticed that the back side of this stitch swatch looks great, too! Adding a photo of the back side (AKA wrong side, WS).

one repeat of knit stitch pattern.jpg

back side of knit stitch.jpg

It’s looking beautiful!!

So what happens if the rectangles don’t come out to be exactly 9 x 12?
Some years ago our knitting group did a similar project with squares and it was difficult to piece because of different gauge tensions. Everyone did the same square pattern.

Experience?

Thanks, @DJM :slight_smile:
This was just a test swatch, which I worked quickly to help answer a question for @lovestostitch .
After taking these photos, I frogged it!
:slight_smile:

My knitting group did a blanket with assigned square patterns. It was essential for each knitter to test their gauge to make the squares the correct size. Unfortunately, those in charge didn’t think about this. I had to go down three needle sizes to reach gauge but my square ended up being perfect. When people were turning in their squares, there were some huge squares. One woman didn’t understand why hers was so big. I asked her if she had measured her gauge. Turns out she didn’t even know what gauge was. The assembler did the best she could but you can imagine it wasn’t as nice as it could have been.

My pattern book says the squares are intended to be 8-1/2" wide. I tend to knit a little looser so I figured it should be perfect. I measured it after knitting two inches. If a square is slighly smaller, it can be stretched a bit. I think too big is the bigger problem.

Thanks everybody. I’ll give that correction a try.

@qfknit - there is a small hole in my work but it doesn’t look as obvious as the picture.

For a local craft store, I have assembled blankets from donated “squares,” which I believe were part of an annual drive for Warm Up America. (link- https://warmupamerica.org/make/assembling-blankets/)

It was truly challenging work, a labor of love.

Although the size of each piece and the yarn weight were theoretically the same… there were noticeable variations. IMO, a useful approach was to lay out the pieces not only by color, but also size, weight, texture. Personally I found that assembly worked best by crocheting the pieces together. Some pieces benefited by having a frame of yarn crocheted around them, using the joining color of yarn. The frame could surround the piece on all 4 sides, or just on 3, 2, or even 1 side…whatever was needed to help with uniformity and balance… to even out the sizes/weights. The slight variation in width of the join between pieces (due to some of the pieces having a full or partial frame) was a nice design element. Again, personal preference… I found black yarn to make a very attractive join… a stained-glass effect.

I tip my hat to those who assemble blankets: There is great skill involved and much time, too!
:slight_smile:

The assembler seems to be able to work with what we give her. I think she is looking forward to seeing what comes up. :slight_smile:

You can increase the size of the hole by wrapping the yarnover the other way.
i.e. more yarn.

@qfknit I really like it when the reverse side is also attractive. I hope everyone will consider a pattern that looks good on both sides.
​​​​

I gave up on that previous square. I got through all 12 rows, finding two more rows that the pattern was wrong but I was able to fix it after I saw how knitter131 fixed that one row. After I got through row 12, I remeasured and decided it was too big and my holes weren’t showing up. I decided to frog it and try a different pattern. This is my next attempt.

92111804-E5F5-4BF2-8629-C343E1D6C077.jpeg