February 2024 Chatter

@sheiskanen that is a beautiful one. Did I take a long time to knit up? Wow…so cozy and soft looking.

https://www.allfreeknitting.com/Miscellaneous/What-is-a-Ruana

Here is a link for the Marly Bird one. There are several places to purchase her pattern. She closed up her garment…so now it looks more like a long sweater.
https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-us/p/lyvia-ruana-crochet-pattern-by-marly-bird

3 Likes

thanks - it’s Kid Mohair
@hereami - thanks - I knitted it with a machine in a day and crocheted the edges in another day

2 Likes

I’ve been swatching/ experimenting with yarn and a pattern for a friend and though I thought I had it all worked out using a yarn I’ve worked with before, but the pattern just isn’t looking right. :persevere: it’s a fishman’s rib pattern and the yarn just isn’t “popping” the stitches like it needs to get the desired look. Sadly, I think I need to return the yarn I haven’t wound yet.

Have you had that happen? Yarn just didn’t work for the stitch.

2 Likes

oh no…That is so frustrating.

I have had similar issues. I hope you didn’t get to much of it worked up before you decided it was the wrong yarn.

Will you change patterns or simply buy a different yarn?

1 Like

Different yarn. Friend picked out the pattern so I won’t change it.

Was trying to use a super soft yarn that is an alpaca/acrylic blend, ahh well… back to the drawing board.

2 Likes

My neighbor is a girl scout. (first one I have lived close by)
Of course I had to order cookies.
They came in today. Yes, I did hide them in the cupboard.

lol. I will share. But, if they are out on the counter we will speed eat them.

Thin mints are my favorite girl scout cookie.
What about you guys?

Any cookies and tea while you craft away??

edit: Because I forgot I wasn’t txting. using shortened codes and no punctuation. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

I have always been a fan of thin mints, too…. But recently they came out with these lemon sandwich cookies where the cookie was almost like an unsalted cracker. I really like those as well. :slight_smile:

I haven’t been crafting much the past few days. I really need to get the borders on a graduation quilt so I can get those finished up…. Maybe this week yet. We’ll see.

4 Likes

Thin mints have always been my favorite. I wasn’t in Girl Scouts as a kid, but I had 2 friends who were and both their mothers were their group leaders. Every year they both ended up with tons of boxes of cookies at their house and we all had to remind ourselves “no touchy!” We did buy some from them every year, but I haven’t bought any in a while because I am trying very hard to eat right and they have just gotten so much more expensive (like everything else!). I do love to have my chai tea every day and usually have a mug of that nearby while I am knitting.

2 Likes

My favorites are the Carmel Delights/Samoas, but they are more like candy bars than cookies. I also love the shortbread with Earl Grey!

And like @Char another new lemony cookie that has some kind of phrases written on it with a thin lemony glaze… they’re pretty good.

Who am I kidding? Cookies are my favorite…pretty much any cookie!:cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Oh…I love Chai. I have been combining a regular Chai with a Vanilla Chai, with a bit of sugar and milk. Just the tea bags you can buy in the grocery stores.

I was able to find a chocolate tea once at a tourist area. (Apple Hill) That was very good. I could be wrong…but I think @Lemming13 mentioned it once a long time ago.

Only thing better than some hot tea while we craft…is drinking some hot tea while we read a book. Or maybe hot tea…while we spill the tea. lol.
(spill the tea = talk about the latest gossip)

1 Like

I like Decaffeinated Mekong Chai: The Tea Table for my chai. The spice blend in that one reminds me of the mix we used back in my cookie-scooping, coffee-slinging days. Harney also has a good Decaf Chocolate Tea - Flavored Black Tea - Harney & Sons Fine Teas .

3 Likes

I like the chocolate mint from Fave tea. It is a Rooibos tea.

3 Likes

There’s a cafe at a spot I often visit (Trentham Gardens) which does fabulous teas; just at the moment they are doing winter warmers with lemon, ginger and heather honey, but they also do white chocolate (sugar free!) and raspberry, and they have just brought out a chai with cinnamon, chocolate and orange. It’s worth getting cold just to warm up with them. Of course come summer I’m on the bubble tea…

2 Likes

My favorite is Vahdam’s double spice masala chai but they have a ton of other flavors. I’ve tried most of them, but I always come back to the double spice. I recently found that adding a little sugar-free hazelnut coffee syrup to it is absolutely divine! I am going to have to acquire some more syrups and see how they taste. There is a local coffee shop that does a frozen chocolate chai in the summer and I have done some basic frozen chai before, but I think I’m going to have to try my hand at some more flavors soon!

2 Likes

Ohhh - I forgot about the Carmel delights. Lol - those may be my favorite. Have you tried the Carmel delight - like cookie from Walmart? Great value brand? Mmmmmmmmm

4 Likes

I haven’t had Boba tea in a few years now. (bubble tea)
I loved the Green Thai, Earl Grey, and the Taro.

Trouble is…they are so incredibly sweet. Someone told me I can order them not so sweet, but I didn’t order them enough to figure that out.

I absolutely love a London Fog from Starbucks when I am out and about. And they are easy to make at home if you don’t want to spend $5 on a tea.
https://theteacupoflife.com/2020/04/how-to-make-a-london-fog.html

2 Likes

Hey All,
Knitpicks is having a free shipping any size order today, Feb 29th. They have those new swivel cords for the interchangeables that I adore so much! (but wish they had come out earlier before I amassed my huge cord. collection.)
Allison

5 Likes

Our local outlet does a sugar free version, nothing but natural fruit juice as a sweetener; which is great for me as sugar makes me rather ill. My daughter usually gets the half-sweet version, she says the full sweet is way too sickly (and she has a very sweet tooth).

Does Fiberkind have an affiliate link for that?

thanks for the heads up. :tada:

1 Like

Knit Picks is on the affiliate list:

2 Likes