Current WIPs

So yes, your comment stayed associated with the other comments that go with your reply to the “Current WIPs” topic. Yay! :slight_smile:

@sewbizgirl let’s see if this works, here is the link the no tear paper piecing
http://quiltingdigest.com/simplify-p…o-tear-method/

THanks so much!

Oh wow! Has it really been almost a year since anyone posted a current wip? I am guilty, too. I have done five quilt-as-you-go hexie quilts this year, & started on my sixth. :wink:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice work and pretty fabric!

Oh wow! beautiful! Welcome back!!! Would you share pictures of your completed ones? I bet they are gorgeous, too.

This is beautiful, it’s good to have you back! I haven’t been doing any sewing lately because I have to bring everything out and then put it all away again. Knitting and weaving are so much easier to clean up after. I’d love to see any other pictures you’d like to share.

I really want to try that some time! Very pretty colors!

Since @ronsmysharona posted a quilting WIP, I will too. I have been hand quilting this hand-pieced quilt off and on for the past 5 years and expect to finish this month. I’m getting excited about being done.

IMG_20200327_141128.jpg

IMG_20200327_141203.jpg

Gorgeous!!! What a treasure!

Thanks @Kathy7661 - I’m thrilled to see it coming together.

This is extraordinary! Thank you for sharing this beauty.

Thank you @FreedomLover. I can feel a finish in my bones . .

This is gorgeous! Yes - share and share more!!! We need things that will inspire us!

Your picture can’t be doing this justice, there is so much to admire. One of my favorite things to do at the State Fair is go through the craft building and look at quilts. That you can make a machine top stitch in some of the patterns they do is amazing. But to think of you doing all of this by hand is almost beyond my comprehension. It’s just beautiful.

Aawwh, thanks @Char and @pinesprairie, it has been quite a long project but fun. I have not been marking my arcs - just eyeballing them as I go, which turns out fine and gives a sort of “organic” wobble to the whole thing that I am fine with. I have many others in various stages of making - some waiting to be sandwiched and one still being pieced. A quilting friend just enticed me into starting a 30’s-era repro house quilt, which will be fun. We will likely paper-piece the houses and I expect I will machine quilt it but that is way down the line. Gotta keep spinning and weaving tool! I have enjoyed having the above quilt in a heap at my feet, with its hoop, ready to go when I have a moment.

@Carlota the repro house quilt is going to be something else entirely. All of this reminds me of some Amish quilts I found in a little shop in Door County. They were also hand made and the women there explained the process. I remember them speaking of paper-piecing.

It’s such a fascinating glimpse into the past and sometimes it saddens me that we have lost so much knowledge from generation to generation. I think that’s why I am simply awed by the craftsmanship here and wobbles only prove it’s hand made. I remember heavy thick quilts on my Gran’s beds that were made out of clothing once the item had been passed down for the last time. Those quilts took years to make as well and saving, cutting, stitching, etc. was just a part of their daily lives. I wonder what they used for the filler? They were always so puffy.

Long arm machines are exactly that, machines. I much prefer hand made!

I second Char, please post more!

@pinesprairie - thank you and it will be fun to share the next steps before too long.

I will try! I am still trying to figure out how to use this app on my phone. This is the first one I did for my newest grandbaby, Meadow.

image.jpg

Second one for granddaughter Mickenley.

image.jpg