2020 Holiday Craft Along - Chatter Thread

@Steph - I made a number of things last year for Operation Christmas Child. I’m looking forward to seeing what you make. Since I’m trying to stay away from Covid germs, I took the easy way out this year and made a donation so Operation Christmas Child could fill boxes for me. I will miss putting the handmade gifts in.

Not only will your gifts count, you get an extra point for any items going to charity!

I think coasters are a cute idea. I have seen ones that look like tea or coffee cups. I think they are really cute.

My son-in-law (he washes the dishes at their house) loves nylon crocheted scrubbies. A friend of mine made hundreds for her church bazaar. Wanting to support her, I bought some. I put one in my son-in-law’s stocking and he loved it. He actually asked me for another one. I’ve used that Scrubby yarn to make scrubbies and I love them. I actually use them to scrub my hands clean after gardening. My friend’s scrubbies were made with nylon tulle that she cut into strips. I’ve seen the Sugar 'n Cream has a version with some scrubby added into the yarn. I haven’t tried it but it sounds like it would be nice.

I should have waited to make the Christmas masks!

I just finished things yesterday. Lol. I’m sure you will have your crafting on :wink: :fk:

Here is a picture of items made for Operation Christmas Child this year. I took the items to church today, it’s also a drop off location, to help fill other boxes.

F1927488-1964-40A4-8F75-109EB4E7ECC7.jpeg

That is fantastic! Love all of the bright colors.

That’s nice that your church works cooperatively to fill boxes. Your items are great.

But I can’t think of anything else I will be making for Christmas. :frowning: Since our gifts to family members won’t be in person, I’m ordering from places that will ship the gifts directly to them so I don’t have to ship them. I get depressed just thinking of this Christmas and no family. I’ll have to work on filling the box I want to send to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.

I told everyone on Friday’s Zoom call that we had a firepit dinner planned for last night with our friends so we could have a socially distanced get-together. It was a great evening. We each made our own foil food packets. I made green beans and salmon, seasoned with garlic and dill and separate packets of red potatoes, also seasoned with garlic and dill. Then we had apple crisp for dessert. My friends had packets with veggies and shrimp and banana boats (bananas topped with chocolate, coconut and nuts) for dessert. There was a pretty full moon and the weather was cool enough to make a fire fun. If anyone is looking for a way to visit with friends and family outside, I highly recommend it.

@lovestostitch - you can also work forward to birthdays and other “just because” gifts! :heart::heart:

Our city has just passed ridiculous laws restricting recreational bonfires and firepits. However these laws do not apply to outdoor food grills. Therefore we no longer have a wood-burning recreational firepit. We now have a charcoal-burning outdoor food grill, in addition to our propane-powered outdoor food grill.

Wow, look at all that color!!

Oh my goodness. I can’t think how many. Probably 75% of my creations were /are for myself. I’ve been knitting since 1956 although there were years when I couldn’t knit because of carpal tunnel and other physical problems, raising small children, etc. Sometimes I could knock out a sweater in a week or two, but other times I’ll take years to finish one. I truly enjoy the process of knitting first and foremost.

I have taught several people to knit over the years, too. Pass it on!

I didn’t know this was an actual “-along” or points or anything. Lol How fun!
@lovestostitch what about ornaments or home holiday decor?

That sounds really lovely. It’s actually a very common practice in this area to do this sort of thing. Fire pit or bonfire. We were planning a fire pit for our property this fall but it went the way of all our other good intentions with Rob’s accident on top of the rest of 2020. But we’ll get it done for Spring hopefully.

Do ornaments and home decor count? For my home… not a gift.

I would love to have a firepit, we probably will look for one next year. @lovestistitch your dinner sounds yummy and it’s good to get together with family and friends.

@KnitsWithHorses @DJM - hard to say if limitations on fires may become more widespread, in communities throughout the US… but just in case… when you are shopping for a firepit… I would suggest looking for one which comes with a food-cooking grill grate. That grate (plus keeping a bag of marshmallows nearby) may make all the difference as to whether you can continue to use your purchase, after recreational fire restrictions may be passed in your area.

Sounds like a “gift” to yourself, your home, and posterity!
Think of the happy family memories that will include the decor you make.
:slight_smile:

Anything handmade counts :slight_smile: