What Are You Weaving Today?

So pretty. Could you share info on the draft? Thank you!

Working on some handspun throw rugs.

image_811.jpg

Beginnings

image_814.jpg

@yarnforall I hope so. Thank you!

Those baby blankets are beautiful! I had that book and sold it, darn it!!

You know, after I took the picture I thought I should have taken the ol’ Propel bottle out of there. Being in the historical section I shouldn’t have had that so obvious anyway but it’s hard to keep bugs out of a mug. Haha
When I saw the “share your draft” comment I kind of panicked. I’m not so good at the language of weaving. I took the stripe pattern and color suggestions from a Pinterest fabric post. I am weaving in Plain weave and you may have noticed I only have 2 harnesses in. I removed 2 to cut down on wear and tear on the loom. And when working in front of a crowd I tend to screw up, thus the simple, durable plain weave. I can share specific stripe info if wanted.
I will say that it is odd how so many people are interested in purchasing the one you are weaving. I think they know that I’ll get home from the event and set it aside for months and they are off the hook. Must be that Midwestern need to be eager to buy but not really wanting to buy. It’s pretty funny.

I’d like to get it. Not sure if my loom is wide enough for the projects in there tho. I have a 36"

Oh yes I see it’s 2 shafts. Smart to keep it simple while demoing. I think people like to own what the actually see the maker making. Part of the provenance I guess.

My daughter says I have to create a whole new reply if I want to take a pic of my notes. See below.

My messy draft. 264 total ends on a 15 epi reed. I changed color plans a few times.

3095d6b2ebe70d8acce65f4221f59e4djpg.jpg

b3befab0c8f1ab824302d10d0a6f4fa4jpg.jpg

I creatively hide my water bottles. I’d rather commit a small anachronism than get dehydrated at a demonstration.

I’ve made two hideous mistakes with complexity at demonstrations and I’ll never make them again. One was weaving a Gothic Cross twill in silk for a priest’s stole. Now, you’d think good ol’ 4-shaft weaving would be simple. No. Not even. I will never do that again. The second was weaving a 7-color tartan. Constant shuttle changes. My daughter was doing the weaving and favored me with some non-period-appropriate words before it was over. It was a tartan sash for her grandmother, though, so she wasn’t too put out with me. And my mother cherished every boo-boo my daughter and I made in it.

I agree with yarnforall! Look forward to watching your progress!

Awwe thanks so much for sharing!

I’m working on a Baltic weave band-it’s my first inkle project!

c0cc8443ecd7d5d5a4341a9d13e3981fjpg.jpg

What a pretty pattern!! Baltic patterns are fun, aren’t they?

So pretty!!

@Bettymo “I’d like to get it. Not sure if my loom is wide enough for the projects in there tho. I have a 36”

I quickly went through the book and there are about 27 patterns 35" or less (width in reed) and about 6 patterns over 35" (width in reed). I have a 36" loom too and I feel I could make a lot of these blankets, maybe even some over 35" if I tweeked them a little. Hope this helps!

I only rarely make anything over 35". My Oxaback is 53" and if I use the full width, throwing the shuttle gets more difficult and I have really long arms. My David is 35" and it’s the perfect width for a wide variety of projects.

@Grammaresa I agree. I have a David too and really don’t need anything wider.

Thank you. Yes it helps.