Tunisian Tech Series

So @TexasPurl , my question is: I’ve been doing a two row border in single crochet, but I wonder if I should wait - is there a border stitch we will be learning later that would lay better?

I’ve not come across any border stitches other than traditional crochet. I’ll let you know if I do!

Thanks!

These will go over very nicely with new parents. :fk:

Hmm, that looks very nice & of course, cute. Maybe I should be making them to go along with the baby blankets & wash cloths.

Oh gosh, I’ve been experiencing that delay with things myself so I’ll hope the horses run faster for you. The nice thing is, there really isn’t any hurry. The way this is laid out, we can do them at any time and that’s very nice .

The afghan hook has finally arrived. It is a Susan Bates hook, and I was thinking I would finally know what it’s like to use that brand since I’ve always used Boye hooks. However, the actual hook part on this looks to me just like a Boye hook. So I still won’t know what it’s like to crochet on a Susan Bates-type hook. Oh, well. Anyway, I now will be starting at square 1, literally, soon. :smiley:

We’ll be waiting to see!!!

So glad to hear you received your hook. Looking forward to seeing your first block. I’ve used both Boye and Susan Bates crochet hooks and must say I prefer the Susan Bates hook, the yarn seems to glide over the hook.

Glad you’re ready to start! Looking forward to seeing your first block!

Hello! So happy to have found this “tutorial”. I have these things, and am ready to dive in with Week 1!

Vancouver-20210320-03289.jpg

Love it! :slight_smile: I look forward to seeing your progress!

Very nice! What brand of hook is that? I like the look of it. Mine has a rounded Boye type hook (though it is Susan Bates brand), and I was having a difficult time getting the hook through the loops. I’ve only done a Week 1 square so far.

@TeaNSugar, I have absolutely no idea what brand it is, LOL! I had a bit of trouble with it as well, especially at the end of the forward pass (if that’s the right terminology), but I think that might have been tension. I finished my square, it was fun. I’ll take a quick photo and post in Week 1. Are you going to continue with Week 2? I think I’ll practice a bit more simple stitch before checking out Week 2.

Yes, I want to do Week 2, but I’m very slow with getting any stitching done lately. Have fun practicing the simple stitch!

Does anyone have a good source for tunisian in the round? I’d like to try it, but don’t know how to start. I’d prefer written, but will take you tube if necessary. (or both)

@TexasPurl - do you have any recommendations? :slight_smile:

I don’t know of any good sources for TITR. My experiences have all been trial & error by first learning the basics of using a double ended hook. Rachel Henri has some of the best tutorials. https://rachelhenri.com/en/tunisian-crochet/double-ended-work-in-a-spiral/

I really need to join all my squares together.
Has anyone found a favorite way to connect the squares?

Is there a special crochet stitch you have found that looks best?
Or have you used a tunisian stitch to connect them?

I was thinking of using a basic crochet stitch to frame the Tunisian squares. Then carry that basic stitch around to make a border.
What do you all think?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rohn Strong did a Tunisian CAL in 2020, his last video show how he joined them together. He made a basic border and then slip stitched the squares together with the right sides facing, using a contrasting color. Hope this helps.