October 2023 Chatter

Nothing finished. Well, maybe I do. Saturday at Town Hall we worked on placemats for our local Meals on Wheels. We put a holiday / winter theme on one side, then an every day theme on the other. As a team we did about 40-50? Several I need to add some stitching to the middle to hold the layers together.

I haven’t even unpacked my sewing machine since I had it at Town Hall. Unbelievable :joy: It’s been 3 days!

3 Likes

I finished a cowl this weekend! Wish I had added a few more stitches, but ah well!

5 Likes

@Char I didn’t know meals on wheels did that. Wow. It is a great idea. Do they give the placemats to the people the meals go to? or sell them as a fundraiser?

@Knit2PSquare That looks very warm and cozy. I love the color choices. Is it double knit? what is it called…brioche? Did you follow a pattern or just wing it?

2 Likes

I’ve been lax on photographing anything I’ve been doing recently, so have some cats.

5 Likes

I’ve done quite a bit but I still haven’t got a decent camera (even my phone camera is now apparently trying to go back retro, everything comes out sepia). I’m also struggling to post as my cat has decided that the weather turning cold means he has to velcro himself to me even more than usual - luckily right now he thinks preventing my daughter from playing a Pokemon video game is more important.

I finished a blanket for my auntie, the pattern is A Life Inspired. Currently I’m making myself a big aran cardigan in gold, forest green and maroon as it looks like this is going to be a cold winter. I’m also making lots of stuff for our crafting group’s Christmas stall, which will be on Nov 18th. Mostly I’m doing mini Christmas stockings, cute gnomes and reindeer, scarves and mittens, but I’ve got a few crochet lace angels ready too.

5 Likes

They give them to participants receiving the meals around the holidays. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh my word!!! Completely forgot today was Friday and there was a zoom meeting.
Silly brain! :roll_eyes:

I did get lots accomplished though. Cleaned out my clothes closet and drawers. (I normally try to do this at the change of every weather season)

Also prepared the blankets for the charity I am donating them too. Waiting to hear back on when I can give them to the lady in my area that collects them. Hope it is soon.

I was able to complete 5 so far. I am working on 2 larger, teen size ones. If they don’t want the ones in this picture I do have people I can give them to.

Hope you all have a happy and safe weekend. It’s crazy out there sometimes…take care.

4 Likes

Mindless knitting for family visiting. The beginnings of a hat to donate to charity.

Canine bonus. This is Lucy, our rescue beagle.

7 Likes

I have been cleaning. Almost done with the outside windows. I,m doing the base boards too.
Times like this I feel like I need a housekeeper. But I,m the person who would clean before she comes. And I,m the person who is picky and wouldn,t trust them to do as good a job. And I,m cheap. I,m my own worst enemy.
Once I get all this deep cleaning done the rest of the year. will. be easy.

5 Likes

My FOs for the last three weeks: getting ready for winter!

The hat is for my husband. The pattern I used is the Oslo hat by Petiteknit. I used Lanecardate Lamora yarn, which is 75% merino and 25% angora. I actually used the leftovers from my cardigan for this project.

The trousers and sweater are for my daughter. I made my own calculations for these pieces. The embroidery was inspired by the pattern #forest_hoodie_baby by m.k_knit on Instagram. The yarn I used are 2 threads of Rowan merino and 2 threads of kidmohair.

5 Likes

I used a water soluble canvas. It dissolved in water during the first wash. It’s very useful fabric. Yes, it’s hand embroidery. I was inspired by pattern #forest _hoodie_baby by m.k.knit on Instagram.

1 Like

Wow!! Amazing job!!!

2 Likes

@Char. Lookie lookie what I got today!!
I dropped off 5 blankets and got enough material to make a zillion more. Well…you know. One tub of mostly uncut and I can use for backing. One tub full of already made squares. Bags and tub full of already cut squares and strips. Books and rulers. And a couple squares for hand stitching. No. I dont have a place for it all yet.

4 Likes

Oh my goodness - it’s like Christmas!

You know fabric curating is a hobby all in its own, right?

I’ve been busily working at the retreat this weekend. Our guild is planning a retreat next spring to Missouri Star Quilt Company. I’m part of the planning committee and we decided to make zipper pouches. The first two with the appliqué is for the guild president (front and back), the rest are for other attendees.

Then I decided to really see what my embroidery machine could do and I started making “in the hoop” zipper bags. It’s small in size but when I get my big machine back from service / fixing I can make bigger ones. They are fun.

:fk: :fk:

8 Likes

Have any of you had this happen? Do you know what the noise might be??
No sirens or helicopters followed the noise.

We had strange loud booms happen late at night. Even the former military members in the area were out trying to figure out what was going on. (two people I spoke to said it was too long and slow for a morter or cannon) Some say it sounded like fireworks/morters, others say like a tire blowing.
Could be anything. Could be people setting off illegal fireworks, tire exploding, military/police facility practices, the gas storage facility, etc… No one knows. And the critters apparently didn’t care. They were still out in the garden searching for snacks. (The military bases immediately near me are technically closed)

1 Like

I don’t know where you live but I thought of some kind of seismic activity?? Not an actual earthquake but something shifting deep in the earth? I live in Indiana and we’ve had an earthquake here. Just felt like a big semi passing by my house except it went on for too long.

1 Like

We have an AFB that is technically inactive but we still have sonic booms from time. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

@hereami Thank you - a friend helped me pick the yarns. I have a pattern that is brioche, but as I read about brioche I came across the Fisherman’s rib stitch, which is very much easier and so found another pattern in that stitch and combined the two. The Fisherman’s rib is worked holding one color at a time.

2 Likes

It was SNOWING here a little bit ago. Boo I’m not ready for the ice and snow.

2 Likes

It was a little chilly at my brother’s church trunk-or-treat tonight, but only the high 40s. No Halloween snow for us, thank heavens!

2 Likes