October 2023 Chatter

5 Likes

Happy October! My favorite month.

Temps cool down, leaves turn, and shorter days are relaxing.
Crafting calls.

5 Likes

I have a bunch of tunisian crochet squares to join. Does anyone have a preferred method?

Edit to say that I used a simple ladder stitch to connect the squares. Mostly invisible too which is nice.

Today I am going to plan and start the edging. Goal to have this done by Friday. With a grace period of Monday morning.

3 Likes

We finally cooled down a bit this week and it is sooo much nicer. Yeah fall!:maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

4 Likes

We have a warm spell over here. Roughly 90 degrees, till next week.
Reminds me of when I was a kid in school. I would be cold in the morning and wear a sweater only to have to carry it around with me half the day.

I managed to get a basic (sc) edging on my white blanket. Today is the day I decide what else needs to be added.

2 Likes

FO Friday: 2’ x2’ cat Blankie for Lasangna. The long underwater was too embarrassing to her.

7 Likes

Issue 10 of Blocked is now live, and the first pattern (Candy Corn Rat) is by yours truly! There are many great articles and patterns in this issue from historical knitting articles to whether or not we should all stay on the “banned books” bandwagon. :scream: Check it out and happy reading!

4 Likes

Congrats!

Interesting articles. I tend to agree with the banned books author. I have purposely requested and checked out books that would otherwise not have been a part of the library collection. I am thankful that my library system does at least take the requests and fulfill them.

1 Like

I really liked that article too. I’ve done the same with books that are more likely to be left out of the library’s collection. I have been somewhat surprised at some that aren’t there, but my library has also been good about taking the requests and fulfilling them.

1 Like

My local library stopped taking requests for books not on their shelves about five years back; you can request ones that are out and have them held for you, but if they haven’t got it in the collection they won’t order it. You have to buy it for yourself or if you have a reader card for a local college or university, their libraries just might get it for you. TBH, our local library system is cutting back on books massively, they focus more on computer use and dvds. I don’t know if there’s a connection to that, but all of our libraries have either shut down or moved into spaces which are part of our city council offices. Which means that our main city library is only open Mon - Fri between 9 am and 6 pm, because it is housed in the civic office building and that doesn’t open at weekends. And then they wonder at declining literacy in the city!

That is really sad. Our library does have the computers and a ton of digital stuff available to anyone with a card, but they still maintain a large library of physical books which they are constantly adding to. It is very sad that many cities are actually eliminating their physical libraries. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Got a sweater blocking today

6 Likes

Nice!

I love that you also use your kids alphabet tiles for blocking! I do too! :grin: I only recently purchased myself a non-alphabet set, and then only because the last shawl I made needed a much larger space to block so I needed extra tiles.

3 Likes

When they start saying “libraries are changing, are not ‘just’ quiet places with books any more!” people are self-identifying as frustrated social workers who want to make libraries over into the “community centers” that fell apart, in the 1960s-1970s, because they were useless. A library that becomes a noisy, messy place full of things other than books is useless and can be written out of the budget altogether. If we want to keep libraries we need to insist on keeping them LIBRARIES, with a focus on real books. I hate to say it, but the minute someone who failed to get a day care license starts offering free day care in the library, the countdown to closing the library has begun.

1 Like

Lovely stitching! None of my cats ever wants to cuddle up under a blanket, but most want to curl up on top of one.

1 Like

Libraries here are having financial problems too. It is sad to see.

2 Likes

Neither of mine care much for being under blankets, but the minute you put some flannel pajamas down somewhere, they’re all over it.

2 Likes

I have never had a cat that likes being under a blanket before, but my little Georgiana LOVES to climb under blankets especially to cuddle up! We have to be careful if we sit down on a chair, couch, or bed that has a blanket (or shirt, pajamas, or any other clothing she can burrow under) sitting on it because we have accidentally sat on Georgie a few times because she likes to climb under the covers. I have frequently woken up to find a warm little ball of fur under my blankets with me…and it is GREAT! She is not quite 6 months old and has only lived with us a little under 3 months, but she and her brother have wrapped the whole household around their little toe beans! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: This is the little cuddler on my stomach with the blanket over her. She was somewhat annoyed when I lifted the blanket up to get a picture of her!

5 Likes

Hi,

Haven’t seen you lately we miss your face :slight_smile: I find myself drawn to Tunisian crochet lately are you enjoying it?
Hope to see you soon.
Liz

2 Likes

I envy you in the Northern hemisphere…it will be quite hot down here in Australia and I miss knitting sweaters so much. I move to hats and socks over summer as they are smaller projects.
Enjoy what we call Autumn (Fall).
Liz

2 Likes