October 2020 Chatter

I still have times when I’m just really fatigued for no apparent reason since I was really sick in March as well. I think finding any way possible to really support the immune system is super important right now. I hope you bounce back and feel better soon.

Made a decision today to let my Etsy items expire. Packed up the yarn and put the tools away. Theyre just not selling. I’ve knit and crocheted for so long, but I am just not a natural seller. I get some requests here and there for custom items and I enjoy making money off something I love doing, but I just dont know how to do that on a larger scale. My plan for now is going to be making gifts for Christmas and making for myself. Im just going to post them up and if someone likes them, I will sell that way. Kind of sad, a bit of a relief. We just had to very suddenly put our beloved family dog down due to a complicated gallbladder surgery, so God knows we need the extra income, but I need less things to worry about so that I can grieve. 2020 is the WORST year so I think I will spend it doing what I love with no strings - or shipping costs - attached. Much love to you all! Knitters make my world go round, so thank you for being amazing and creating every day! Xoxo!

Our sweet baby Whiskey.

20200423_085953.jpg

Thank you @knitter131 :heart: He was “the dude” of dogs, was well-known and is missed by many people.

Aww. He is now an angel watching over you. Enjoy some much needed knitting time, and maybe you can sell those knitted wares on Etsy! I’m betting they would sell nicely there.

Oh no!! I agree that 2020 has been horrible in way too many ways. I believe in focusing on the good but this year has sure made that a challenge. Rest in peace gorgeous little Whiskey. You were obviously so very loved.

@Snoogins - I’m sorry for the loss of your fur baby. We’ve been through that, too. Great photo, thanks for sharing. Sending hugs.

A thought about selling handmade items this year… it seems that many people have tightened their belts, are more focused on paring down, purchasing only necessities, and then want a bargain. It may be an especially difficult time for those starting out, to sell and get a fair price for ones time and talent.

@Snoogins -

Does anyone else ever feel like finishing a WIP cleanses your soul?
Well said. The total opposite feeling from being bogged down and procrastinating… finishing a WIP is very affirming and validating!
:slight_smile:

@Snoogins

Etsy … just not a natural seller.
I took a look at your shop TheKnittingTrade, and I have a few thoughts (Just my 2 cents) .

On the main page, consider mentioning your years of experience, expertise, requests for your knitting. All in a positive, lighthearted manner. Then confidently and supportively focus on your potential customers… those interested to learn to knit… those interested in having you create custom work for them… etc… and what you can happily do for them. Invite questions via Etsy contact. Maybe don’t mention dreams to open a LYS being a long way off or needing to figure out what you want to do.

On a knitting kit page, think in terms of supply and demand, focusing on a need and then fulfilling it:

• maybe begin with a question… such as: “Have you or a loved one ever wanted to learn to knit? The first hurdle is often where to start! First-time knitters may be overwhelmed or intimidated by wondering what materials and supplies to purchase. This kit takes all the worry out of that decision for you.
  • Why purchase now?! “This stay-at-home year has many people wondering what they will have to show for it… what will they have to remember this year by. Learning to knit can be a satisfying accomplishment, a great skill to master which can provide the ability to create everything from necessities to novelties, for years to come.”
  • Who is this kit for? Ages 10 and up?
  • The contents list mentions yarn, acrylic yarn, wood… the double-mention of yarn may raise questions. Questions about what is in the kit, questions about attention to detail.
  • Yikes, the alligator mug looks scary. This predator brings to mind thoughts of sudden unanticipated battle, adrenaline rush, wariness for unseen problems lurking, and unwanted interference with my knitting causing knots and tangles (AKA a yarn barf). If you include a mug in your photo maybe one with a cozy theme that is welcoming, inspires thoughts that learning to knit with this kit is easy-peasy, and invites one to stay and linger a while on the product web page? At the end of the list of supplies included in the kit, maybe mention that the mug is not included…? And any other props are not included?
  • Invite questions through Etsy contact. You want to welcome potential customers to interact with you, see how awesome, knowledgeable, trustworthy, dependable you are… so they will be confident in spending their money in your shop.

Again, just my 2 cents.
:slight_smile:

So sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved family pet, he looked amazing, with an attitude.

I’m so sorry for your loss, I know how heartbreaking this is.

@Snoogins I am so sorry for your loss. I also lost a beloved dog this year…in May. Your Whiskey looks like he was truly an amazing and unique pet. Thanks for sharing that photo.

I agree, finishing a WIP is such a good feeling. I have found that when I accomplish goals, (WIP’s) and when I get rid of some of the major ‘stressors’ in my life I have more creativity, energy and more brain power to figure life’s problems out. I hope this happens for you too.

p.s. The pink critter in your avatar makes me smile every time I see it.

@Snoogins - I’m so sorry for your loss. Losing a furbaby is so hard. I’m sure you gave Whiskey a wonderful life.

So sorry to hear about your beloved dog, they really are family members and I’m sure he will be greatly missed.

I have SAD and find that this time of year even with the extra D I’m sleepier. I use a light therapy light and find it really helps with my energy. I start at the Autumnal equinox and finish at the spring equinox, about an hour a day , usually when on the computer.

Sweet little Whiskey. RIP.

Hello all! I have an easy cowl on the hook today for my Wednesday WIP

PXL_20201007_145519480.jpg

I love the colorway!!

What beautiful fall colors!

I have been envious of Others lately…of their fall/autumn foliage. Then, I remembered I had this yarn…purchased from my LYS.

So far I have been struggling to find exactly what to do with it. I bought these beads at a local Bead shop last week. So…this is my Wip. A puzzle involving Autumn Camo and bone beads. (Yarn is not called Autumn Camo…LoL. It has a lovely name. I know it says Chris on the label. When I turn the label over they say it is from the “Memorable Women” collection with the name “Elizabeth Zimmerman”

Which makes me think I should find a knit pattern. Oh boy…my indecisiveness is going to make for a very long day.

I would appreciate suggestions. I know I want to be able to wear what ever it ends up being. :rolleyes:

Resized_20201007_090900.jpeg

The colors are great, but I’m curious if your yarn glows like the lable says?