October 2020 Chatter

1. I have a shawl I was working on last April and May. Happy colors that remind me of a water melon. The colors seem too bright and happy at the moment.

2. I have yarn that I purchased the last time I went to visit my parents in Washington State. The yarn reminded me of all the colors I was seeing around me at the time. I even bought beads to use with it. I can’t seem to begin to use the yarn. I just keep going to the box, opening it and touching the yarn. Each time remembering my visit.

Logically I know that if I made something with it I would get to see and feel the yarn all the time. Part of me is keeping the yarn safe and part of me is waiting for the ‘perfect’ pattern for it.

Surely, I am not the only one who owns craft supplies with memories attached to them.
I have no idea what the ‘cure’ for this is. Except to be very careful when I am visiting loved ones and craft stores during the same trip…lol.

@hereami - my DH has been asking me on recent trips where the LYS are so I can buy my souvenirs. :slight_smile:

Is it procrastination if you have a logical reason? I have a loom knit 10-stitch blanket that is on the final round. I only complete a few rows a month, just so I can say it has been worked on. I have it for when my left wrist hurts too much to crochet or knit. I crochet left-handed and knit mirror continental. I learned to loom knit with my right hand.

As promised pictures of the heirloom blanket I am working on for my youngest. Each color has 2 different block styles. Teal, pale green and peach and they will be crocheted together with a cream colour.

20200922_223843.jpg

20200922_223800.jpg

20200922_223829.jpg

20200922_223733.jpg

@hereami you are not alone. For me… Let’s see if I can explain it. Once I knit it up, it’s over. It’s not there to look forward to anymore. If course I have the thing I made but that’s going to be in a closet or drawer most of the time as “those” yarns usually become something I only wear once in a while. I know that makes me sound silly but I guess I don’t want to give up the anticipation and the joy of the memory that comes with just looking at and holding the yarn and thinking of the possibilities?

I love your color choices, it truly will be an heirloom blanket.

These are wonderful! Definitely look forward to seeing your progress.

It’s going to be beautiful. A true heirloom.

That is just going to be gorgeous! The colors go together nicely!

This is going to be stunning!

@Steph I don’t call that procrastination just good planning!

I’ve got two major naughties - an afghan I have been making for my son since 2018 (my excuse is it is squares based on his favourite games and he keeps changing those!) and a mystic lanterns one for my daughter on the go since last October (I ran out of yarn and the online yarn store ran out of stock of what I needed till last month).

They are going to love these. What special gifts you are making.
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us all.

@hereami I haven’t been sticking to super traditional red and green really. One of the ones I’ve already made is actually camo! My grandsons are definitely outdoor types. Lol I love using gold and nice low key shades of green or blue and was thinking I had some nice sage green and and off- white to make for grandsons but found some small remnants and remembered I had used it already. I have plenty of browns and purples and oranges but can’t quite see that being their Christmas stocking from grandma. I have been trying for several years not to buy mass market acrylic unless it was for a specific purpose and I’ve been diligently knitting it up for kids hats, charities etc and had gone through a lot more of it than I realized. I hesitate to use the high end stuff for stockings because my daughters would probably want to be able to easily wash them before packing them away each year.

@KnitsWithHorses I think our families are twins…lol!
I have one family member who lived in camo…for years. Cause camo is a neutral and goes with everything…even other camo’s…lol. He even hand painted his truck camo. (he did a great job of it…didn’t look sloppy or weird. Maybe he should be an auto painter) Once he fell in love, with his now wife, he is actually wearing other colors.

Your Stockings sound fantastic. Have you posted pictures of them before? I have a girl who absolutely loves orange. Orange Hoodie, Orange base ball shirt, orange socks. Her favorite base ball team has orange on it. Do your grand kids have a favorite sports team? or Video game character you can get color inspiration from.

Isn’t it nice to go to your stash thinking you still had a lot of “—” to work your way through. Only to discover you are closer to your destash goal than you thought. Good job!

I am getting close to the point where I will have to purchase yarn in order to tie other yarns together. Although, I really like the look of a scrap quilt and keep thinking I need to crochet something like it one day.
Praying for you and your hubby.
Hope things are going well at your home this week.

What are we going to do if we ever actually get to the end of our yarn stash?

Happy Monday everyone! I hope you are well!

I haven’t been very talkative lately, been focusing on crafting. :slight_smile: That and napping. I’ve been very tired lately. Not sure why. No other issues, but tired. I am not over worked or over stressed, but feel the need for a nap most days. Maybe I’m practicing for retirement. LOL I’m quite a ways off from full retirement, but can you begin practicing too early?

What are you working on? Anything fun happen this weekend?

I’ve been making progress on my UFO baby blanket, expecting to finish it this week. I’ve been a little under the weather, so taking it easy today.

@Char - hope your energy level picks up soon! :slight_smile:
Have you been tested for anything? In addition to going to one’s medical care provider, there are a variety of independent labs which perform a broad range of tests. I post about this from time and will share again that a Whole Foods Plant Based Diet can work wonders for improving one’s overall health, wellbeing, and energy level.

@qfknit - I did recently find out I am Vit D deficient, and I think that has a lot to do with it. I feel like I haven’t been able to shake the exhaustion since I was VERY ill in March. I started on an 8-week regimen that I hope will help a lot of things. :slight_smile:

@Char - sounds promising! :slight_smile:
And enjoy the naps! Sleep is important!