November 2022

I know surgery wasn’t exactly what you were wanting but I’m praying once that healing process is done that you will be better than you were 3 years ago :hugs: and then be able to get back on your RA meds so you can feel better all around!

2 Likes

I have not used it yet and I’m not quite sure how I’d be able to demonstrate it on zoom because I don’t have the equipment to have my phone held above my hands to show everything easily. I have done darning with using duplicate stitch on items for my husband and I because I’m usually able to catch wear and tear before it becomes too bad. We’re not too hard on our knits but there have been a few over the years. My sister, on the other hand, doesn’t get things to me until there are holes. She had a pair of slippers I made her that I repaired 2 times (both with multiple worn areas). I told her after the second time that I wasn’t going to repair them again if there were holes again because I had asked her before to not wait until there were holes before asking for help. To be fair, the slippers were originally made with acrylic but the repairs were done with wool. She hasn’t asked me again for the slippers :wink: I bought the mending tool just in case she brought me other holey knits. This tool would have been very useful with her slippers! She has since become a knitter herself so I’m not sure if she will try and mend things herself or bring them to me.
Here are some videos for this darning tool. The first 2 are by the Katrinkles lady but it seems kind of awkward so I’ve included another one showing how to use it and I’ve included one using the Speedweve which is another darning tool. I chose the Katrinkles tool because I could buy an expansion pack that “ allows the Smaller Darning Loom to mend larger holes in a variety of yarn thicknesses.” That way I have 1 main tool with multiple heddles to be able to mend more than just socks (fingering weight items). I don’t believe the Speedweve gives you that option but I could be wrong. The video for it could be helpful in understanding a weaving darning tool.

5 Likes

All excellent ideas. I love the pattern keepers.
I have a darning loom, but it is a little different.
I love to make patches on my favorite old jeans so that I can keep wearing them for yard work.
PS: It is the Speedweave type, just not an original Speedweave.

1 Like

Thanks Joy. That is an interesting tool.

1 Like

The exciting news is that my hubby has informed me that my craft room has now reached the top of his To Do list! Now the pressure is on to decide what I really want. I know what I want on my window wall - cabinets on either side of the window, small cabinets under the window with a window seat but no cushion. I plan to use the window seat as a plant shelf.

The tricky part is how to organize the spot where I sit. I have a rocker/recliner in a corner. I currently have an ugly cart on either side of my chair. I want something with spots to put all my must haves for knitting, phone, tablet, etc. as well as a table top for my tea. Anyone have a great set-up or ideas?

7 Likes

Hoping for a good outcome. My mom.always sufferedwith her sinuses.

2 Likes

Will you need a table? I really like the fold-able styles. I would put casters/wheels on the legs.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/norden-gateleg-table-birch-90423887/

I have adored old school card catalogues since I first saw them as a girl. I would store my supplies in them. They look long enough for knitting needles. (I really miss these things)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1299050004/library-card-catalog-cabinet-pharmacy?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=card+catalog+cabinet&ref=sr_gallery-1-29&pro=1&frs=1&edd=1&organic_search_click=1

2 Likes

I currently have two tables. I’m looking at either getting new tables (mine are hand me downs from my brother) or spray painting these a soft white. They are good, sturdy wood tables. I don’t want a table with folding legs because when I use my sewing machine, it needs a solid, stable table.

I’ve now done cabinet consultations with an online company and Lowe’s. The design from Lowe’s is exactly what I was thinking of. It just costs more than I expected. The nice thing is it is a much easier job for my husband. Installing cabinets is a lot easier than designing, buying the wood, cutting, sanding, painting and installing. Prepainted cabinets also have a much more durable finish. Whenever we’ve painted something with latex paint, it’s not durable. I’ve learned that spray paint dries to a much harder finish but I’ll have to wait till next Spring if I want to spray paint the tables.

1 Like

I really like these … such a simple design, but so effective.

1 Like

I’ve decided Carly needs a new sweater. I’m going to give this one a try.

5 Likes

@lovestostitch this is what I use for my machine- love it!!!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Table-with-2-Drawers-in-White-HOLT4602BJ2/312063246

1 Like

My husband has one of these for his work computer desk … he stands all day long.

1 Like

That’s an interesting table. I wish it was all white. Does your machine make a table shake? Does this table stay still?

1 Like

My machine is 45 pounds, 55 if the embroidery arm is 55 pounds. The machine does not make the table shake, the embroidery arm might? I’ve never noticed it shake though. I steer clear because the arm moves around so much when embroidering. I’ll pay attention later today when I quilt another quilt and see if it seems to vibrate.

The table is on wheels, so it is able to move, but it only moves when I want it to - the wheel locks are quite secure.

1 Like

Good morning, All!

The Crochet Project is offering a new course, called Use it Up. I found out this morning that there is one opening left for a student who can’t afford the course to get it for free. Below is the info about the funded option, follow the link above for course info. I hope the free class is still available!

“There is still one funded place remaining on the course if anyone would like it - or wants to forward this email to someone who might. Funded places are free places for those who otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford a course. It’s done just on an honesty basis and noone will know that you have accessed it. If you would like to take the course but cannot afford it, just use the code FUNDED at checkout. Funded places are sponsored by course sales and some generous customers also donated spaces too. I’m delighted to be able to offer this and am looking at ways of extending the scheme.”

3 Likes

So exciting! If you are a minimalist, I would advise against pegboard as I have, it looks totally messy, even when it is straightened out! LOL. I like the idea of cabinets/shelving with lots of compartments or baskets that hide what’s in them, except for decorative yarn!
A

F O Friday!!!
I finished one doll, one dishtowel, and a couple of sewn bags/baskets before my thumb strain from cutting fabric stalled me out. (I have since ordered a double suction cup grip for my cutting rulers.)
I am bummed because I messed up the bottom of the basket and I can’t put it in my shop.
I also did a bit of painting this week: some beadboard, some radiator covers, and chalk-painted a little side table I found at the dump for my tea and chart holder. (It’s still drying.)

I’m praying I can gently knit today. Or do something,

6 Likes

Have you found anything to replace the 2 ‘ugly’ carts on the sides of your chair?

1 Like

I tried the magic loop method for crocheting in a circle yesterday.
It is a very interesting technique.
Curious…Do you guys use it?

I was trying to help some one learn how to do a specific granny square.
Her tension was so tight we had to go up to an “I” hook.
We were using a good housekeeping pattern and the online instructions were going way too fast for her.

2 Likes

I ordered an organizer end table. Walmart had them reduced in price so it was very inexpensive.

Re: Magic Loop - I use it all the time and love it.

1 Like