Migration is complete! Post questions here!

On my device it looks similar held in portrait mode but different in landscape – there’s a difference but it’s not much. The site’s built to try to be readable either way – what are you looking for, functionality-wise, in the non-mobile view?

Hi Heather,
I’m the one dealing with having to navigate via mobile browser.

My biggest issue with mobile versions of sites, and this is applicable to any site I can’t put into desktop mode via my mobile browser, is that things aren’t in the same place because everything is smashed into a column. When someone tells me that “X is on the right hand side”, I would like to also see X on the right hand side, even if I have to scroll, instead of somewhere nebulous that I have to search around and find, wasting time that could be spent moving on to other tasks. I’m left with a very different, and honestly very disappointing experience of the website. It effects how often I visit a site and engage there, which when one is a moderator is kind of important to be doing both on a multiple times a day basis, in my experience anyway.

So specific to FK, in mobile view: 1) there are several items that appear at the absolute bottom of pages that require another icon (a wrench) be clicked on to access instead of being on the side, in easy access. 2) there’s no way to navigate to the top or bottom of a thread without scrolling for what feels like an extreme amount of time. Not bad for 10-20 posts but when a thread has upwards of 160, or more it’s very time consuming.

These are my two main issues as of now; I find the site to be very bright (cannot use dark mode; many people with astigmatism have problems with it) and am trying to limit my time on it so I don’t trigger a migraine. I will say that now that I’ve discovered where the wrench is located (point 1), at least I’m not searching any longer

Síle

I’m trying to find the Dueling and Exploding Snap threads that were in the Harry Potter Lovers group before the migration. I looked through the group and can’t find the threads anywhere and when I search for the names nothing comes up.

1 Like

I just started them over because I couldn’t find them either. They should be all set up for you to play :blush:

2 Likes

This isn’t a very important question so no rush but is there any way to be able to enlarge words within your text of normal sized words?
Say I wanted to emphasize the word like by making it bigger in the sentence “I really like your project”. Just curious if that’s something we can do here :blush:

In the Stashbuster MAL thread we have a thread for weekly results 2022. None of the older posts are there. Is there a reason they didn’t come over. We should have a weekly post and a monthly post for every week/month up to this point.

At the top of my screen is three lines - click that and you can toggle between mobile and desktop view.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

How do I subscribe or re-subscribe? Can’t seem to find a button on the threads.

At the bottom of the thread there is a box that says tracking it has a bell icon. Click that to watch a thread. The bell is also at the bottom of the timeline at the right side of the page.

Yeah, this is considered the “best way” (and I know it’s not for you) to design sites these days, so that things are immediately readable on any device. I’ve heard of some apps which make your phone browser pretend to have a bigger screen than it really has, so things show up like they would on a desktop; I’m happy to take a glance around for one if you’d like to share what kind of phone you have. It would be a solution for more than just FiberKind if one is available.

When you’re at the top (or, I believe, the bottom) of a thread, a box should show up with the post number and total post count (as in 22/29 for this thread, as I write). If you tap on that box you’ll get a scrollbar for the whole thread plus the option to jump to a specific post number or date.

This is an effect of modern mobile web design; I hope that the above scrollbar tip helps with this.

I will work on an alternate color scheme to help with this.

1 Like

Keep using the new threads; I will look for the old threads and see if I can figure out why they aren’t showing up. They should have come over like everything else.

Add 1 to 4 ‘#’ characters

before the text you wish to enlarge.

Fewer pound signs

will make larger text :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll look into this too.

Thanks!

Thank you @HeatherAthebyne :blush::blush::blush:

We just started the word games over so it’s no big deal if the old ones didn’t come over but thank you for looking into it :grin:

Thank you for the scroll bar tip; that works very nicely to get up or down :blush:

It looks like all topics did not migrate over, thanks for looking into that. We had some locked ones that I am not seeing (they were planned to be re-opened when that activity started again), and at least one of our most recently created topics is missing.

What if you want to only enlarge # one word?

You can use any of Markdown, BBcode, or HTML to add formatting – BBcode is closest to what we had in the last forum but HTML is also a good choice. You can do a Google search for BBcode cheatsheet as reference.