March 2023

$2.20! That is a great deal. Do you like Reuben sandwiches? I already cooked one corned beef this month and we ate it all up as Reubens. We made them on my homemade rye bread. Soooo good.

2 Likes

I love Reuben sandwiches, but I’m really the only one in the house who does. So I shall be cooking up the second one at some point and probably freezing some and keeping some out to make sandwiches with. I love rye bread too, but again, I’m the only one in the house who does, so I only make a small batch at a time.

1 Like

There are some positives to being the only one who likes something. Unfortunately, my husband and son like everything I make and it disappears so quickly. Corned beef looks like a nice sized chunk until you cook it and then pull this tiny block out of the crockpot. :frowning:

2 Likes

Made me wonder what the two of you get up to when she comes to visit you.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s always disappointing to start out with a packed-full crock pot…and pull out barely enough to feed the family. :unamused:

1 Like

The joy of the gift will last much longer than the joy of the surprise.

4 Likes

@Char I am probably reading too much into this story. But, it sounds like there are more layers to this story. I am sure there was a reason she felt the need to tell him. Sounds like he didn’t believe her visit with you was a simple visit.

Perhaps he doesn’t want a big deal made out of an upcoming event and there has been a family argument/discussion about it and he didn’t trust his mom to abide by his wishes.

In that case…I completely understand how she felt the need to defend herself and show him what you guys will be up to. Sound more like a desperate act than a planned ruining a surprise.

Are you known for awesome parties or famous for your chocolate caramel cake? For us…you’re kinda known for your quilt making. I bet everyone over there hopes they receive one of your beautiful creations.

I am sorry this happened. But, I am sure he will absolutely love the gift.

1 Like

@lovestostitch lol - we took a cruise once, and even then we didn’t do anything we shouldn’t have. At home, watch chick flicks and craft, talk about work, normal stuff.

@hereami - he is actually a rather manipulative little snot - and he was probably making his mom feel guilty about being gone an extra day. I didn’t really want to make him anything but felt guilty about not doing so since I was making other graduation quilts in her presence. Oh well. @HeatherAthebyne is right - the joy of the gift lasts longer than the joy of the surprise.

On the 13th day of March I didn’t craft at all. I did browse crafting books, though, to try and settle on a pattern for my son’s bed. Nothing has clicked yet. I’ll get there. :slight_smile:

I might be able to get some cutting in this afternoon. We’ll see. It is board meeting night and I have meetings from 6:00 to 8:30, and I am generally exhausted after. :yawning_face:

3 Likes

Happy pi day everyone!

4 Likes

I’m not known for anything extravagant as far as cooking…. Sometimes I make something that everyone seems to love and finds “five shades of awesome”.

Just my crafting. Everyone seems to love my crafting. And it makes me generally happy. Win win.

4 Likes

My family have a rule on gifts - they should be a surprise unless they involve live animals (fish, birds) or plants, because it isn’t fair to give people something they will have to work to look after if you don’t know for sure they will want it. Both my kids are adults with autism, so they are usually shy of surprises or sudden changes, but both of them are fine with surprise gifts (though things that make noises can be problematic). They also know to be polite and if they don’t like something, don’t tell the donor. But maybe your friend’s son has some issues that mean he needs to be forewarned of things?

1 Like

On the 14th day of March I opened some “squishy” mail (oops!!! So much for the fabric diet). I didn’t get any real quilting done, but it was a long day.

Tomorrow on the other hand - I plan on a lot of sewing.

4 Likes

I just cut out some cotton fabric for a simple sleeveless top. I have sewing to do too.

2 Likes

The last couple of days have been full of preparations for my daughter’s 21st birthday. We went out for dinner last night, and she ordered her first alcoholic drink, which, thankfully, she didn’t really like. Now I have to get back to my regular work – which I’ve been procrastinating about as I am just starting my day at 10AM!

While searching for decorations for yesterday, I did pick up a couple of balls of Red Heart Scrubby, and also a pair of bamboo knitting needles, as I am still flirting with learning to knit. I am looking forward to getting back to some crafting this evening!

I am planning to put an Easter basket for my parents, and I thought I’d drop a couple of scrubbies in there…I’ve wanted to try that yarn for a while. But let’s face it, I gave into temptation!! However, I did resist buying some of the new Caron Cakes, which were surprisingly soft…hmmm…

3 Likes

Spent the beginning of this week celebrating my Birthday, and watching a couple of movies while crocheting on my spring fling teen blanket.

I had to take out a couple of rows as well. Apparently, I should not watch the old black and white Dick Tracy while crocheting the end of the rows…lol. Dick Tracy vs Cue Ball in case anyone wants to look it up.

If you need a reason to cry today, I heard a beautiful song by Rory Feek and Dolly Parton this morning. “One Angel”
https://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=YZWYZ7NX&utm_source=Crosswalk%20eCard%20Update&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=03/15/2023&utm_source=&utm_campaign=CrossCards%20Update&utm_medium=email&utm_content=7858408&recip=524951443&aps=87b0a8ef6f67f1a57c9eb901b44b5ce0d26fca8e14b920e161e3a0f0b4149d78&lctg=524951443

5 Likes

I love scrubbies made with Scrubby yarn. I crochet mine. They are great for scrubbing dishes and they are great for scrubbing people! I keep one at my potting bench that has a sink. I have a little spray bottle of vinegar, soap and my scrubby. I’m terrible about not wearing gloves when I garden. Tomato tar is the worst to get off my hands. The solution is to spray your hands with vinegar, use the scrubby to loosen it up, then a soapy scrubby. I also have a scrubby in the shower and I do a soapy scrub on my legs and arms after gardening to wash off any bugs like chiggers. I’ve never gotten chiggers at home but after one case from a campground, I’m extra careful. I have a scrubby in the camper too. I have them everywhere because they are so great!

2 Likes

Happy Birthday!

3 Likes

I guess I have castonitis. I started a baby blanket with some LB Mandala Baby-dbl strands, J-hook, and am redoing the Sequares and Dishidents from Blocked Magazines with dishcloth cotton instead of the old wool I made the first 3 out of. I figured that I could use some new dishcloths if I don’t want to sew them together. No Spoilers, people! I also dragged out my natural handspun wools from last year so that I can get started on some socks when I finish my current pair. And no, I’m not done with the Buzzards Bay (beachy) Blanket. soon, soon.

5 Likes

Would this be a good time to remind people that Fiberkind has a weekly Zoom Craft every Friday from approx 1-4 p.m. EST and that if you want to join in on the fun, message @Char ?

6 Likes

@MBearMakes @lovestostitch I LOVE my kitchen and bath scrubbies too. I made a bath set with a long back scrubby thing for my gift in the white elephant game my family played at our Christmas/Lunar New Year party (my sister and her husband were not available all of December, so we did our family Christmas party late) and it was very much desired. I held it with regular cotton and it is about 26" long. My only problem with the scrubby yarn is it is REALLY hard on the fingers while you’re working on it. Normally, I just work with it in short bursts, but for that, I had a short deadline so I had to work with it longer than I would have liked, but it was such a great item that I am seriously considering making another one for myself.

4 Likes