July Chatter-

This is quite lovely! Will it be a wall hanging?

I’m currently have two active WIPs. I started a hat, but probably would need to rip it off till ribbon as I feel the needles I use are too big. So while I’m thinking about it I started a dog toy for my son’s birthday. Hope to finish it in time.

IMG_20220706_203221.jpg

I have finished all the pieces of the Hedwig the Owl I am making for my sister, but my hands have been hurting so much lately and I am not able to hold the yarn needle to sew them together just now. I am also working on the rectangle shawl for my daughter-in-law’s mother, and am about a quarter through it.

WIP 1 6 July.jpg

WIP 6 July.jpg

I can’t wait to see it finished.

It’s so hard when we have the will to work on something but our body doesn’t want to cooperate. Does knitting hurt your hands? Crocheting makes my hands hurt pretty quickly but knitting isn’t as bad.

This particular owl has been a long struggle to complete…if remember correctly. I am so glad the pieces are made. I hope your hands feel better soon.

That shawl is so beautiful. I love the colors. Which pattern is it? How many skeins will it take?

Have you tried thermal gloves or compression gloves? I have one pair that’s a thicker fabric that helps warm my hands. They’re all fingerless & helps support & provide heat. There was a time when I was misdiagnosed with RA, but it turns out I have something else. I have some chronic dislocation issues and repetitive motion makes my hands swell. If I’m not careful, I can also wind up poking holes through my skin, too. I had to learn how to hold my hands to minimize how much my fingers move for both knitting & crochet. I move my elbows more than my fingers, and I have learned how to “lock” things like my thumbs to keep things stable & where they belong. Things like the shape of the tip of the knitting needles & the material might help too. Bamboo with sharper tips are easier for me. I’ve also found that longer tips on circular needles help. One thing I want to do is move to dpns instead, since that’ll give me more needle to help support my hands. I really liked the olive wood knitting needles I had, until they broke.

I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to adapt a sewing needle to still sew but be easier to manipulate. Figuring out how to do what I want when my body won’t allow me to do it like most people is something I do a lot. Would something like this maybe help make gripping the needle more comfortable? https://www.etsy.com/listing/235190366/chain-nose-pliers-jewelry-making-tools?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=needle+grip&ref=sc_gallery-1-13&sts=1&plkey=66aa8afa7eb4886b8d75058d15b1423ba627e7ac%3A235190366

I used to weave chainmail and had similar pliers that were comfortable to use.

We got some much needed rain and my garden is going crazy. This is today’s harvest - Swiss Chard, two types of Kale, two types of Mustard, and Pak Choi. I also picked two Ronde de Nice squash and some black Egg eggplants.

My squash tunnel.

My first try at growing sweet corn.

Now all I need is a shower and then some knitting time!

FFDB1279-5921-4EB3-A0A1-4F3E11647B06.jpg

451D0CDF-4F1D-4BF5-BF2A-BF28A9832510.jpg

C871D535-4602-432C-A9BC-AB439D54FD13.jpg

Looks great!

Wow, such pretty cables!!!

Yes I have arthritic issues too. Sometimes I go months or years without picking up my knitting.
I have also worked out ways to support myself so I don’t cause strain. And i had to learn to stop at thefirst twinge of pain. That is the hardest.

@Nyssareen - I saw the discussion above and wanted to show you the compression/comfort gloves that I use. The blue ones don’t have a tag, but they were in Lion Brand packaging when I purchased them. I found the orange pair at Hobby Lobby, and these are my favorite. The brown pair is a thicker, cotton fabric that I found at JoAnn. I found the fabric to be too thick for using while crafting, but they are perfect as light, “fingerless” gloves for slightly cold weather.

Brown brand.jpg

Brown gloves.jpg

Blue gloves.jpg

Orange brand.jpg

Orange gloves.jpg

Ooo thanks! I will look into the Lion and Hobby Lobby ones. I can definitely see the problem with the brown ones, they would almost certainly get in the way of knitting.

I am SO annoyed! I’ve been working on this Rose Trellis shawl for my daughter-in-law’s mother and came across a break in the yarn. At first, it didn’t seem like it would be too big a problem, but as I went further I realized that the color change was sudden and obvious. I had been hoping that when the yellow changed back to green, it would be just as sudden, but it most certainly is not. You can see the beginning of the light yellow-green at the top and it is nothing like the change from the green to the yellow lower down. I have another cake of the yarn, so I can frog it back to the end of the green section and redo it so the transition from green to yellow is more gradual like all the other color changes. Even if I can fix it, this section was a good 3-4 hours of work, so I am PISSED!

Problem.jpg

I think you should keep going. I think it is beautiful and your daughter in law’s mother will love it.

Good morning everyone and happy FO Friday!!!

Here are a couple quilts finally ready to go. I’m feeling much better in many ways, and happy to be back at my sewing machine.

42EEEDBC-6307-4A0E-AB61-F8F43C145660.jpg

DE5B765A-DC55-403B-AC6E-0FD13B2426F8.jpg

I have the orange ones, and I can knit and embroider with them. They are very comfortable.

How frustrating!!! However, I agree with @Char. Of course, we don’t see the whole project, but too me it just looks like the pattern. I can barely see it where you marked it.

So wonderful! I love them both, but the heart is my favorite.

So happy you’re feeling better, and delighted to see yet more beautiful quilts in your gallery of gorgeous. You are a true textile artist.