January 2023

How terrible will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

2 Likes

Just catching up on things, have been out of commission for a few days with a nasty stomach bug, just starting to feel like doing anything.

4 Likes

@KnitsWithHorses please keep us posted on things. You and your family are in our prayers.

@crosstitchlinda I am glad you are feeling better!

I was at a retreat last weekend. Started and am almost done with this quilt. I need to add a few rows to the outsides and join the panels. I’m considering border options. We’ll see.

5 Likes

@Char that is lovely. Hope you enjoyed the retreat.
@crosstitchlinda I hope you are feeling better.
@KnitsWithHorses Oh no. I am so sorry. Praying for a complete recovery for Caleb.

I have been slowly crocheting a border for a baby blanket this past holiday weekend.
I have a couple of what would you do questions. (I miss Ann Landers…lol)

1.There is a group of ladies who would like someone to join them and teach them how to knit and crochet. (for free) Although I love the idea of getting together and do not mind helping people out, I have a sneaky feeling there are some pitfalls I am not seeing. I am wondering if any of you have done such a thing and any helpful advice.
2. A family member eloped just about a year ago. And is now thinking of signing up for a wedding gift registry. I told her she better hurry up cause it’s almost too late. But…is it? Did I say the right thing?

1 Like

Iused to love to knit while watching a football game.

1 Like

Sending my prayers.

I hope he swears off motorcycles after this. My dad was badly injured on one years ago. There’s no protection u fortunately.

Any update?

2 Likes

Glad you are recovering.

1 Like

Oh my, Char! That is really pretty :star_struck:

3 Likes

Regarding the elopement. I’m sorry, I’m not Emily Post, but that just hits me as wrong. They should have sent out wedding announcements shortly after the fact. Then people could send gifts. Personally I don’t send a gift unless I attend actually the wedding.

3 Likes

I don’t see a problem he!ping teach the ladies. Unless you don’t like teaching. You could tell them you would help get them started but not to expect too much.
Do you enjoy their company? That is my primary consideration.
I was in a church knitting group like that several years ago. One lady taught several others how to knit. A number of us already knew how and came for the comaraderie. It was fun.

3 Likes

@KnitsWithHorses - I’m praying for Caleb.

@crosstitchlinda - Hope you’re all better soon.

@Char - WOW! I love that one.

3 Likes

It’s one thing to be in a knitting group with people who know how to knit and you offer each other little bits of help. It’s another to be a free teacher to people who don’t know how to knit.

I’ve been in groups where people wanted to use me as the free teacher even though I never volunteered. It’s not very fun. I ended up not being able to chit chat with the women so I didn’t get to know them. The needy knitters monopolize your time wanting help. If I got a chance to start chatting with someone, the needy knitters would interrupt, needing help.

Then there are the needy knitters who have no crafting talent. No matter how much time you spend helping them, they want more because they can’t get the hang of it.

If you are thinking of joining a group for social purposes, I wouldn’t volunteer to be the teacher.

Re: the elopement. I think it’s already too late.

2 Likes

God bless you Caleb :pray:

3 Likes

Agree. Knitting group should either be an actual class or else a social group where you ask the others questions like what contrast color should I pick or how are you turning your short rows.

I think some people think knitting must be easy when they act like that.
I always dread when people have a “quick question” at work. It’s never quick.

@hereami Way too late for gifts. That’s kind of forgone with eloping.
Unless they now want to have a reception to celebrate publicly with family and friends.

3 Likes

@Char Wow! That is beautiful! Also, re: the elopement. I just know how I would feel if I got information about a registry a year after the event. Just - no. I also think people sometimes forget that a gift is actually a voluntary thing. Anyone who wanted to give them something already will have done so.

However, here is an idea for her. She could register somewhere and then if friends/family ask her what she would like for Christmas or a birthday, she could say something like, “I’m trying to complete a set of china, so you could check my registry.” She just needs to make sure there are a range of prices for the items on the registry, so she’s not just basically asking for a ton of money.

Re: Teaching. If you want to help out, but aren’t sure about it, you could just set a limit on time and frequency. For instance, you could say you’d be able to help them for an hour or so once every two weeks or every month (if you are free), or once a week for a month. Something like that.

@KnitsWithHorses God bless him, I am praying.

2 Likes

I just got back yesterday from a trip to visit my parents. While I was there I created another WIP! That makes 21 or something!

I can never figure out why greens and blues in my photos never show true.

This is the Starry Mitts pattern from Interweave Crochet. There was an error I had to correct in it, and I am modifying the pattern to have a smaller stitch count at the top of the mitt, so the closure does not have as noticeable a seam. The yarn is Zauberball.

5 Likes

This is beautiful.
Wow…21 Wips!
I need to clean my craft area again…to see how many I have. (I thought I was at zero…but that is wrong)

1 Like

:umbrella: Thank you all for your advice. I appreciate it.
The group of women who want to learn to craft are strangers to me. It did sound like they knew nothing at all about either craft. (So…I think I will pass on this opportunity)

I like the idea of suggesting an Amazon Wish list instead of an actual gift registry. That way people who want to send something can at any time. The elopement was sudden and shocking full of drama, and they moved very far away. So the wish list is the best route I think.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday @Char!

3 Likes

Happy Birthday Char!

3 Likes