January 2023

Agreed! Very nice needlework! Despite the extra "help!":rofl:

1 Like

@Ruth Welcome!

2 Likes

Aren’t they yummy? I laugh at how fast my family polishes them off every time I make them because they all looked at me like I was crazy when I said I was making rye cookies. :grin: :yum:

2 Likes

I’m ready to try one of these iron-on transfers but they say to use a hard surface, not an ironing board. I don’t have any hard, heat proof surfaces other than a glass board in my kitchen. Only problem is the glass board has a pebbly texture. I think I need something smooth. For those of you who used these transfers, what kind of surface did you use?

1 Like

It seems like the majority of people in this area have a truck as one of their vehicles. We had one for 20 years but now we make our son help us instead, ha.

1 Like

Your husband may have some plywood you can make one out of…

Check out this video:

Make it any size you want, tuck it away when you aren’t using it. I made one 2’ x 4’ for my quilts. I’ve seen some that are made tv tray size for portability.

3 Likes

I used my kitchen counter with a towel laying over it. (one of the benefits to having a non fancy tile countertop. You can really use it and not worry too much) Otherwise…I love Char’s idea. Borrow a piece of wood and drape a cloth over it.

@HeatherAthebyne Thank you for helping set up the reading challenge area for us all. We would be lost without you. :fk:

(The book reading challenge is located in the Community Wide Events under Reading Challenges. )

2 Likes

Here’s my WIP Wednesday. Trying to decide on a border.

The gray is going to be the same material used on the backing. I have plenty of pink and gray. I’m limited in the amount of black - I might use the black for binding instead.

4 Likes

Finished

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

How many strands of floss did you use on the tea towels?

I haven’t sewn on tea towels yet. I think that was @PurlgirlButtons . :fk:

I did find this site. It has helpful hints about how many to use for different reasons. For example…if you want one part of the design to stand out a bit more than other parts. You might have to do a small test to see what look you would prefer.

I always have to jazz up my embroidery. This last time I used glitter thread to help the bow tie and the lips stand out a bit more.
https://www.floursacktowels.com/blogs/news/how-to-embroidery-on-flour-sack-towels-best-tips-and-practices

1 Like

I saw that website too. Those towels don’t look like my flour sack towels! Mine have a much more open weave - easier to put the needle through but harder to get a smooth looking final product.

1 Like

Are cotton dish rags a thing you’re looking for? I’m advertising them as a fundraiser. I have a micro-knitting business, not enough (with one knitter!) to keep a physical store open. Can take commissions for knits online, especially simply shaped things, e.g. 5 to 6" square dish rags, 8x12" place mats, 36x36" baby blankets, 40x78" blankets. Discounts if you can send yarn of your choice.

Sweaters by mail order work best if you trace the outline of a sweater that fits the intended wearer in the intended way. I still have to pay land taxes before I can even think about buying a camera.

1 Like

ironing board ! but make sure you put some pcs of paper underneath because it will go through. Don’t ask me how I know

1 Like