January 2021 Sock KAL - Finished Posts

They look great. I love scrappy socks. Don’t forget to save some scraps for April when we have scrappie socks on our schedule.

@KnitsWithHorses Congratulations! You are this month’s prize winner! I have your address.

D610C0FD-7A1A-4ED4-9ACC-1669F2A17590.jpeg

Congratulations, Natalie!

Congrats, Natalie! Mailing from Northern Michigan today. :slight_smile:

SWEET!!! Thank you!! I have been so curious to knit with some handsoun and this is so pretty! I can’t wait!!

@KnitsWithHorses, you’ve never knitted with handspun? Oh-uh. I hate to tell you this … but it’s addicting! The next thing you know … you’ll have a spinning wheel. :wink:

If I had a place to spin, I would already have one! Been living in an RV so it wasn’t an option. When we get the barn fixed up a bit more I’m hoping I can get a spinning wheel and a loom. And then go to the spinning classes at Get Stitchin in Tulsa. They have a great group that meets there.

@KnitsWithHorses not to enable or anything, but a spindle doesn’t take up much room :slight_smile: I learned on a spindle before “graduating” to a wheel.

@crosstitchlinda A spindle? Like a drop spindle? I got one in a drawing once years ago along with some roving. I don’t think the spindle or the roving was very high quality but that’s probably a good thing. I never could figure out how to make it work. That was before Youtube University. LOL I assume you can only do a very small amount of yarn at a time on one of those? I bet it would be really fun to teach my granddaughter to do it if I could ever figure it out myself…

Beautiful socks! They don’t look scrappy at all, and aren’t handspun socks the best?

Insert emoji with heart eyes 10 times here!

Very nice! All set for Valentine’s Day!

@KnitsWithHorses, give the spindle and roving to your granddaughters and turn them loose on youtube. Then they can show you how. :wink: You can produce a lot of yarn on one of those things, but it’s slower than a wheel. I much-much prefer to spin on a wheel, but I know people who would toss all their wheels for a good drop spindle, so it’s a personal preference only.

@lovestostitch, never fear! I doubt I could run out of scraps if I worked at it all year. @PurlgirlButtons, yes! I love my homespun socks.

I agree with @Pegg Thomas I will add that my favorite type of spindle is the Turkish spindle . You end up with a center pull “ball” of single to ply. I have taken spindle and roving travelling when space was a factor. I remember spinning in the lobby of a hotel on a tour and I had a bit of an audience. I found it hard to learn from a book, but I took one in person and it clicked. You tube would probably be a good source.

@Pegg Thomas @crosstitchlinda okay y’all are starting to get me excited. I’m betting that amongst the spinning ladies at Get Stitchin there will be someone who can teach me to use the spindle. They do limited seating in person and zoom both so I probably wouldn’t even have to go to Tulsa. I like the sound of the Turkish spindle. I’m going to do some YouTube university and pricing. I know there are some local folks who can provide roving but not the best pricing. Which means I’ll get it there as often a I reasonably can but shop around as well.

@KnitsWithHorses Yay! Love enabling new spinners!

Thanks y’all. :hugs:

And for color i even got a sunset picture that includes the pink in my yarn even though now that they are knit up you don’t really see the pink in the yarn. When it was in the skein it looked like there was way more pink than that. :grin:
[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: 20210114_135024.jpg Views: 0 Size: 341.5 KB ID: 87417”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“87417”,“data-size”:“small”}[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: 20210101_102534.jpg Views: 0 Size: 345.2 KB ID: 87418”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“87418”,“data-size”:“small”}[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“small”,“data-attachmentid”:87419}[/ATTACH]

Your socks are beautiful and coordinate perfectly with your view.