January 2021 Sock KAL - Chat

I started my socks and chose the size based on the pattern’s circumference measurements. I thought mine would be smaller because I was using a smaller needle size but I tried the cuff on and knew they were too big. I frogged and started the smaller size. I think they might still be too big. :(. I’m going to pull out a pair I knitted with the same yarn and compare.

9C4C227E-DAA9-4A20-8C88-644D780720E4.jpeg

@lovestostitch, that’s 170 yards each, so 340 yards total. And, yes, I knit shorty shorts, but for a size 11 foot. :0 These skeins are a fine sock weight, a little finer than I was shooting for, but they’ll work.

@lovestostitch there must be something in the air. Lol I had to frog and restart mine twice but I’m finally underway! Forgive the messy photo. I’m putting off turning on the heat because it was a beautiful day and I’m in denial that it is now turning cold again. So I’m sitting under my covers in my bed listening to a book and surrounded by my WIPs. :stuck_out_tongue:
​​​​​​​

20210105_172942.jpg

I’m knitting for a sz. 11 foot too. :slight_smile: I think we should have a bonus entry for knitting for big feet!

@lovestostitch - YES!

Time to frog - again :(. This sock has multiple problems. The ribbed cuff is the same width as another pair, knit from the same yarn, that fit well but this sock is wider in the leg. Another issue I just noticed is the weird gaps on the cuff. I think I did some sloppy color changes.

98E468B8-715B-452F-B648-A62911ADB709.jpeg

7A67D32F-982D-461F-BD61-9BE2E964E001.jpeg

9C4C227E-DAA9-4A20-8C88-644D780720E4.jpeg

@KnitsWithHorses, son is a size 12 and hubby a size 13, but thankfully - I guess - he doesn’t like wool socks. Son is all legs, wears a 38" inseam for his jeans, and likes the long socks. Knitting for him takes FOREVER.

My youngest daughter having such big feet is why I got serious about making socks. She is 6’3". By the time she was 13 it was either make her socks or buy men’s. Didn’t take long till she doesn’t really ever wear anything but handknit socks. She pretty much has to wear men’s shoes and boots but by gosh she has pretty socks!

I think I found my people! I’m a women’s 12w shoe! I usually buy men’s shoes, but have found a source for women’s boots. I love my handmade socks, but it does take almost a whole skein for ankle / crew socks, and if I want longer, then I need a 2nd skein ! Love that I have found others with big feet like me! :slight_smile:

Well, Practice makes Progress, right ? …So sorry that you are having issues with these socks. Hopefully third time’s the charm!

Lol @Spice2s
We could find a few sources for shoes for Harmoni until she could no longer wear a women’s 12 or 13. In women’s I guess she would now wear a 15, if that even exists outside of taylor made. With sneakers and boots she doesn’t mind but for church… I’d love to find someone who make a simple pump in her size.

I have found my people too! I wear an 11.5WW and I have been wearing men’s socks almost exclusively for years. I came across TUK brand boots a while ago and they are the first shoes that actually fit my big feet and are really cute too! I will occasionally come across some women’s socks that will fit my big feet, but I’ve finally decided that if I want the kind of socks I like that will fit my feet, I’m going to have to learn to make them for myself! I made my very first pair of socks for my now 2 month-old great-nephew in October, and am now ready to try making some for me! Once I get the hang of them, I’m going to make some nice socks for my brother, too. We have lived together since 2007, and I’ve watched him struggle to find shoes and socks to fit his 14W feet the whole time. I can’t do much about the shoes, but once I get the hang of socks, I can help with the socks issue! If any of you who are more experienced have any suggestions, I’m open to them!

Well forget that bonus entry for big feet. Sounds like we all have long feet! For those looking for a shoe source, I order from Zappos. The best part is you get free shipping to return shoes that don’t fit. I don’t think I’ve seen bigger than a woman’s sz. 12. My problem is my foot is a bit narrow so men’s shoes are not an option because they are way too wide. In a sandal, I can get away with a sz. 11 though I need sz. 12 for closed in shoes. When I searched for 11N sandals, there was one choice. I didn’t have to waste time deciding which pair to get!

I buy Dansko shoes for dress. They cost the earth but last for years. I think they are made in the Netherlands. It’s funky sizing and I wear a 42 … I think. But they are great for wide feet like mine. I rarely wear tennis shoes, but I have a pair and they are men’s. The women’s FatBaby boots from Tractor Supply fit me, but I think I went up to a size 12 in them. My muck boots are men’s. I don’t wear sandals ever, I just don’t like them. Around the farm, I’m pretty much barefoot all summer. My grandma always said that large feet were a sign of a good understanding. I’m inclined to believe her. :wink:

Maybe we need to change the name of this challenge to the 2021 Sasquatch Sock Challenge. :wink:

@Pegg Thomas - the yarn is absolutely beautiful! It will be a pretty pair of socks!

As for the rest of you, I thank you for making my feet feel positively petite–all these years I’ve worn either a 9 extra wide or a 10 and I always thought I had big feet, but it’s all matter of perspective, apparently! :slight_smile: But I love that we have options with our knitting, for sure!

I know I tend to find that I use a size smaller needle for knitting my socks. I think I knit looser on metal needles. But there’s no point in spending all that time making a pair that doesn’t fit well, for sure!

I am just starting my sock toes as well and am wondering if I will need to frog and go up a size as well. It’s worth it, though, if you make a pair with all those stitches and then can’t wear them. You would do the same for a sweater and they say a pair of socks has as many stitches as a sweater. (Can’t prove it though!)

Sometimes I think it just goes different the 2nd time around. I have a sock that I am knitting as a mate to one I knit early in 2020 and even though I’m using the same yarn and I’m doubly sure it’s the same needles, it seems tighter than the first one. (It’s another reason I generally do 2 socks at a time–I think even waiting a while can affect tension)

@rkennell - This yarn (That Yak Sock) is a very light fingering and I find it is the perfect weight to fit in my walking shoes. In the summer, I wear those light liner socks but I need something warm in the winter. This yarn is perfect - as long as the sock fits well. I don’t want the bulk of baggy socks. The pattern I was doing had 2 ktbl, p1 on the cuff but it switched to k2, p1 on the leg. The leg pattern was considerably wider. I don’t know if a ktbl snugs it up more or if my gauge is different on the different stitches.