January 2021 Sock KAL - Chat

Here is my January Socks cast-on that I did today during our Fiberkind Virtual Yarnies meetup. The yarn is KnitPicks Hawthorne . I am thinking about a slip stitch lines pattern. The view out of my office window today…very dismal skies, but no snow, so the grass is faded yellow-green, an aqua-blue house.

[IMG2=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“src”:“http://fiberkind.com/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==”}[/IMG2]​[IMG2=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“src”:“http://fiberkind.com/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==”}[/IMG2]​​​

IMG_2920.jpg

File_000 (8).jpeg

Your yarn goes perfectly with your view.

You sure captured the colors!

I think I’m going to use this… several of the colors match the palette from my view. Not perfect but it’s either that or gray socks.

​​​​​​​

Screenshot_20210101-170758.jpg

20210101_102534.jpg

I think that’s a great choice!

Here’s the view out my front window. Snow and pines. I carded some white wool today and two different shades of green. One is too spring-ish green, and the other is a very blue spruce. I think I’ll go with that one. Or maybe spin them both and ply them together. Time will tell!

The last photo I snapped out the back window with the light on after dark with the snow coming down. So maybe I’ll do white and navy!

Pre-Christmas snow 12-13-20 3.jpg

156603354831add9ff52826e582ad31fjpg.jpg

e785becf3b062bcdb9fa1c35e216f481jpg.jpg

Ooh I bet they would look pretty plied together!

I love the colors in your stormy picture.

That’s awesome!

Brave soul for spinning the yarn to knit up into socks this month! But it matches!

@rkennell, it only takes about 2.5 ounces to knit my shorty socks, so it’s not that big of a deal to spin that much. I got both colors spun this weekend, and will ply either tonight or tomorrow. Wash, set the twist, I could be knitting by the weekend!

This colors really are perfect for that night photo. And they are going to be pretty!

Definitely a good choice!

@Pegg Thomas - Good for you! I need to do some more spinning–I just can’t seem to find enough time, with weaving and knitting!

I have to agree–your colors work perfectly with your photo!

It looks like the perfect yarn–the greens stand out beautifully and a white pair of socks tends to look dirty a lot quicker anyway, even with just dust on the floor! Our snow is hanging on as well; lines keep snapping and we keep having to go crank up our generator until the power company guys can get things up and going! It just isn’t thawing and the power lines are sagging lower and lower with the ice and snow. A good time to be inside and knit!

Got my yarn plied last night, skeined and washed this morning. Woo-hoo! Will be knitting soon.
Skeins are each 2 oz and about 170 yards 2-plied.

January sock challenge yarn 1-5-21.jpg

@rkennell - We were on the far northern edge of the ice part of that winter storm. We got a light glazing but it melted quickly. Sounds like you got the real stuff.

Beautiful!

Pretty colors! What weight is your yarn? I’m amazed you can make a pair of socks with 170 yds. Are you doing short cut socks? With fingering weight yarn I need about 430 yds and about 325 yds of the dk yarn I’ve used for socks.