Is it just me? I'm excited about knitting again

I have taken a break and started finishing off WIP that I have had OTN for a while.

Hi all. I’m always excited about knitting and thankful that’s some tech people have started this site. I stumbled across a great fiber company website today that has tons of great free knitting patterns. Check out fairmountfibers.com

As with others I am so thrilled with this site. The admin has done absolute wonderful work. He’s on top of everything. I often wonder when he sleeps. The members are all so caring and helpful to each other. I simply love being here. And yes my knitting mojo is back.

You’re definitely not alone. I’ve been so encouraged by this site.

@runner5 I agree so much. I really felt like I lost my community when I deleted my R account. I moderated a couple of groups and had regular conversations online with some of the people in those groups. My mom has late stage Alzheimer’s and when I moved her here I had to give up most of my regular groups and activities, so for a long time I wasn’t getting out socially like I used to. Still, I always had a place on the other forums and could connect with other people even if it was a cyber connection. I do have a prayer shawl group that I go to, but more often than not I leave early because has become such a downer with people spending the whole time complaining. Mom is in memory care now, so I do have more freedom again, but it’s hard to reconnect. I generally knit every single day, but for the past couple of weeks I just didn’t feel like knitting at all. I really started to feel a sense of community again these last couple of days. I even started a destashing group here and today I knit 6 rows on a shawl I’m working on. That’s quite a lot because I’m near the end and my rows are VERY long. Plus the section I was working on was garter and boring. Now I’m to the final lace section, so that should be faster.

Anyway, I think this site is really moving forward and the people here seem really great so far. It’s fun to see familiar avatars and usernames, but it’s also so cool to meet new people that weren’t active on the R forums.

Me too! I finished a sock and am joyfully crocheting now. Feel so fortunate. The help and positivity here is the best!

Full disclosure… I have been like a yo-yo and yesterday I had actually felt down about knitting in weeks. More so, feeling the loss of the few groups I had just started to participate in before the event where I had felt so welcome and never a harsh word was spoken. Between the Gorgeous Gradients and BooKnits, I had more projects luring me to complete than would be possible in this lifetime. The only upside is that I can concentrate on using up my stash instead of feeling the need to buy another hank of yarn. Every day over there, I saw more and more yarn that I just needed to have and my wallet has sighed some relief. Now, to prepare myself for Stitches Midwest.

Agree with you totally! The R experience made me believe that most knitters were mean and unhappy. It’s so great to have this place where the nice knitters meet and we can trust each other enough to just be ourselves.

Beautiful patterns! Thank you for the ‘heads up’!

@Raine and @sewbizgirl - I know it probably felt like everyone was mean, but I sincerely believe it was a vocal few and administration that were behind all this nonsense. All I ever experienced on R was a group of wonderful crafters more than ready to help and was surprised as anyone when all this blather came up as I was totally unaware of it (I mainly kept to the main forums - have no idea what went on in groups). Already I know I’m in a similar group of helpful, wonderful crafters. So happy to be here. But I was sorry to leave R, mainly because of all the helpful people there - I’m a long time knitter, but not an experienced one so I’m hoping to call on all you experienced knitters and crocheters when the need arises. (Casting on today - so excited!)

Those in control ruined it for a lot of us wonderful crafters. I hope the nice people all find their way over here and R is just left with those who made it the awful place it became.

I know there were lots of great people there as members. I’m hoping they all came here!

I am feeling the same way–liking this group and the positive vibe!

Like all of you, I too am so happy to be here. It feels truly inclusive - without name calling and judging. Thankful for this site and all who are making it a success.

I truly appreciate and enjoy this site more than R.

Everyone here is possitive, friendly and helpful to all.

I’m happy to be here and join a site that I can participate in without having to navigate around the insults. I rarely used the old site for more than checking out new yarns and looking at patterns, but I found that I was buying way too much yarn for patterns I would never get to. I still plan on making more things, but I decided to move toward a more utilitarian style: blankets, sweaters, and such rather than a 50th lace shawl!

But the lace shawls are so addictive! I say that as I am worried about playing yarn and bead chicken with my current project.

Yes they are, but in my case they’re turning into collectibles as I can’t possibly wear as many as I have. I say that as I finish up on one. Now that I’m not bombarded by hundreds of, quite frankly, similar patterns, I’m looking ahead to school sweaters for my grandsons, some warm wooly blankets and a couple wearable sweaters for myself.

Maybe you could auction some of your shawls for a charity or something?

Maybe, but most of the charity auctions want “new in box” type stuff when it comes to apparel. I am not up to developing tags and labels. I give some away to friends who I know appreciate handmade things, but many do not. "“It almost looks machine made” is perceived by many to be a compliment. LOL.

I’ve been tossing around the idea of bartering my compulsion to knit with neighbors who have a compulsion to garden. The weeds in my yard are out of control!