Inkle, Card, Band and Backstrap Weaving

Thank you @DebbiRYarn

Beautiful

@Kathy7661 what type of loom are you using? Band, Inkle? I’m thinking of trying band weaving on my rigid heddle.

@maryemilee I use my Louet Erica to weave my inkle bands. A rigid heddle loom will definitely work well for inkle bands too. I hope you try soon, I’d love to see what you make!

Thanks @Kathy7661. I haven’t pulled out my rigid heddle for years. I would like to use it for something.

OK, after many internal conversations with myself about why I did not need to buy an Inkle Loom, I just ordered a Schacht Inkle loom. Rationalization is a powerful drug! I NEEEEED it to make loops for towels, leashes for my kid’s dog, interesting design elements for my woven work… I just pictured my self sitting on the screen porch weaving a beautiful band to use for something.

I look forward to seeing what you make!

Woohoo! Look forward to seeing your projects!

@Char@Kathy7661 you are both enablers! I am warping for a set of towels now. Loops will not be far behind. If you get a minute you should look at these towels. I came across them by accident and knew I had to make them. Will probably send them to my daughter.

​​​​​​​https://schachtspindle.com/weaving-to-woo-week-friendship-towels/

Those towels are definitely on my to do list! I read from other reviews that they are huge so you may want to double check the size. Please let us know your results.

I need to figure out how to read weaving patterns. It seems Greek to me

They are almost 21 inches in width on the loom. I looked at making them narrower, but that would cut off one of the bands and I like the balance of having the same pattern at both edges. That’s why they are so wide. I could have make the bands narrower, but I thought that would take away from the effect. I may make them shorter, they are about 40 inches on the loom as written in the pattern without hems. That is really long. I’ll see how it goes as I’m weaving.

@Char With your mathematical mind it will come to you easily, I’m sure, in no time at all.

@maryemilee That makes perfect sense regarding the bands in the pattern. I actually enjoy larger towels.The width would be fine for me but I would definitely shorten them…40" is quite long.

@Char a game changer for me was getting weaving software and inputting the pattern (which is the threading, tie up and treadling; you’ll see it when you open the software and have a draft in front of you) and then being able to see the draw down, or how the pattern looks. I can zoom in and out and then I can tell which part of the threading gives me which part of the pattern. You can download PixieLoom on your laptop for free (you can’t save or print but you can see all the design elements). I bought iWeaveit for my iPad. For the iPad it is very inexpensive and I can print the draft so if I make changes I have the draft. It is more expensive for laptop but I actually like having it on my iPad. I’m an engineer and at one point in my career worked for Apple and Intel so I love having the software to help me see what I am doing. I think that’s why I love weaving. It is so incredible to do something so manual and have such a remarkable result. Anyway, just my two cents to help you on your journey.

Oh thank you! I will look into that. :-). I love playing with crafty aps.

@Kathy7661 you will love weaving these. Really easy to warp and fast to weave. I’m doing them on my little 4H Artisat. And I love them. These are cottolin, but I have a bunch of 8/2 unmerc cotton I can use. I can’t wait to get my inkle loom, I am going to put loops on these. I heard today the loom had to be ordered from Schacht and it may take a while.

friendshiptowel.jpeg

1 Like

Well after I re-looked at the pattern directions, the towel on the loom is 39 inches, the two hems are 2 ea, so that is where 43 inches came from. After washing, I’ll prob lose about 10-12% so that will put the length at 35 or 36 which is pretty long. So maybe I’ll decrease the length by about 4 inches. I think a 32 inch towel is still pretty long. The pattern also calls for leaving a little white band and embroidering a heart in the middle, which I think I will do.

This is gorgeous!

Thank you @FreedomLover. Looks like you are in my neck of the woods. I’m in Tennessee. We spent a month in Beaufort SC last Oct/Nov and really loved it. I could live there.