Inkle, Card, Band and Backstrap Weaving

@Bettymo “Do you mind sharing the details? Yarn, #of threads, width?”

I don’t mind at all.
Lunatic Fringe 5/2 mercerized cotton from a previous project in blue, magenta, gold, yellow white and black.
91 threads
2" wide
3 yard warp woven on Louet Erica loom.

Thank you!

Warped my little Mini-Tex inkle loom today. I’m taking it to the fair tomorrow for demo. I forgot everything. Sheesh. Had to get my books out. White? What was I thinking. Hopefully it will get better once I get up into the weaving zone. That’s the problem with this little loom and it’s hard to tension. Using #10 Crochet cotton.
35 Threads - there is a warping error but it’s ok for demoing.

cca3ac01fab6374789376cee5368b677jpg.jpg

That is so pretty. I’m curious about those looms. I know they are not easy to come by but what is the real advantage there? Whenever you have time…I know you are one busy woman.

I like them because they’re miniature counterbalance looms. Instead of heddled / unheddled as inkle looms are, there are two “shafts” with Texsolv heddles. As one shaft goes up, the other goes down and it gives you a good shed. You do have to hold the shed open with your hand. The shafts don’t lock into place. They have apron rods, a warp beam and a cloth beam. They’re functionally little shoeboxes with a closed bottom and you can put things in the bottom like your bone paper folder which makes a nifty pickup stick, your draft, your Kindle and a candy bar! Instead of sliding the work around the inkle pegs, you release the warp beam brake and advance with the cloth beam brake. You can warp them back-to-front or front-to-back. They have interesting built-in lease sticks. I find them a little more stable than inkle looms, especially the inklette, as they have more side-to-side stability. Honestly, they probably aren’t significantly better than inkle looms and, as you say, they’re harder to get and more expensive. I got mine used, so it was quite reasonable. I will also say that I probably won’t go back to an inkle loom. Hmmm… maybe I’d better do another review. Because there’s one gotcha with these. The apron rods can break. George replaced at least one of mine with steel rod. That puppy doesn’t break now!! Hope this helps!

An EXCELLENT documentary on backstrap weaving in Guatemala and some of South Amercia. DO give it a look. [h=1]Century of Color: Maya Weaving & Textiles (English)[/h] https://youtu.be/Ehwx_ZGXcVY

bjr

Methinks you are about to go down the bandweaving hole @Floppy2! Looks like a fascinating documentary! I am just starting watching it.

Trying to get a friend of mine to make me an inkle loom. Will get there one day.

Oh…boy! One day! One day I will weave a band like that…oh yes I will!

We weavers on Our Unraveled SALUTE you! Brilliant!

We weavers on Our Unraveled SALUTE you! Brilliant!

You just purple yourself away my dear. Well done

@Floppy2, I am. No regrets!

I forgot to ask, how did the fair go? I’m hoping we can get back into it at some point.

Wheeee!!! There she goes!!

DebbiRYarn and yarnforall!!! You two are nuts! Thanks. Glad to enter the frey.

There are several wonderful documentaries on Mayan weaving on YouTube. I’ve spent many happy hours watching them.

Finally got to do a little band weaving…my kitty was napping!

20200119_153445.jpg

1 Like