2022 Reading Challenge

When I’m stressed out I am drawn to things that are familiar so reading the Miss Marple story for our cosy selection in the I Love a Mystery group set me on a Miss Marple binge.

1. At Bertram’s Hotel by Agatha Christie
  2. Murder at the Vicarage by A. Christie
  3. The Body In the Library by A. Christie
  4. The Moving Finger by A. Christie
  5. A Murder Is Announced by A. Christie

Lady Darby does sound interesting, I can add the first to our suggestions for February and March.

I re-read all the Miss Marples at the end of December. Such a cozy friend to spend time with.

1. A Bias for Murder
  2. A Holiday Yarn
  3. The Wedding Shawl
  4. A Fatal Fleece
    Above all by Sally Goldenbaum
  5. Heidi by Johanna Spyri. – I read this because we’d just watched the old “Heidi bowl” version of this story. Boy is the book different, much more nuanced.

I love this quote! It’s so true.

historian-novelist.jpg

7: The Television Detectives Omnibus edited by Peter Haining. Mystery tales of different detectives, from Sherlock Holmes to Inspector Wexford, all of whom have been televised. Some old familiar ones, but a lot were new to me. 4/5

I read that Heidi so many times as a child.

8: Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golem by Peter Ackroyd. Another blind pick. Not sure how to classify this - a mix of historical fiction and thriller I suppose. It was interesting, but very unpleasant in parts. 3/5

11 Love in Lower Case by Francesca Miracles - NTM #6 - This was highly recommended on a couple of lists I follow so I have it a try. I feel like it was trying too hard to be sophisticated. There were a couple of characters I liked enough to make it worthwhile but the main character wasn’t one of them and neither was the lady he was pursuing.
12 They Do It With Mirrors by Agatha Christie 13 A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie
14 4:50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie
15 The Mirror Crack’d from Side to Side by Agatha

1. Abigail’s Peace - by me - releasing in June

I know, it’s cheesy to count this, but I had to read the whole thing before I sent it off to my editor. So I am. :slight_smile: It’s book three in my Forts of Refuge series. And the last in that series … I think … although people are wanting me to write one more with the brother, Henri Geroux, of the hero in book two getting his own story. We’ll see. I’m not sold on that idea … yet.

1. Her Redcoat - also by me

I just got the rights back on this novella that was part of The Backcountry Bride Collection published by Barbour Publishing. So I’m turning it into a stand-alone ebook. I had to re-read it and wound up editing it to add 2,600 more words. :slight_smile: The cover artist got me the new cover yesterday and today it’s off to the proofreader. (Needed to hire one since I added so much content.) I hope to have it up on Amazon by the middle of February!

The Survivors Club: The Secrets and Science that Could Save Your Life by Ben Sherwood. Very good book with lots of interesting stories of people who have survived the unimaginable.

1. Emerald Fields - by me - releasing this fall

Honestly, I really do read books by other people! But I needed to get these past three read one more time before sending them to my professional proofreader. These are the three titles I’m releasing in 2022.

Emerald Fields is book one in my new post-Civil War series, A More Perfect Union. It’s a hero-centered series of historical romance books where the heroes are all Civil War veterans who have been negatively impacted by the war. In Emerald Fields, the hero is physically scarred. In book two - Cobalt Skies - the hero is emotionally damaged. In book three - Silver Plains - the hero was financially ruined.

I wrote Emerald Fields more than two years ago, so it was actually fun to go back and read it. And … dang! … it’s really good! Now I’m even more excited about putting it out. :slight_smile:

For Jan I was able to read these.

1. At Bertram’s Hotel by Agatha Christie (mystery)
  2. A Cajun Christmas Killing by Ellen Byron (mystery)
  3. Christmas by the Sea by Melody Carlson (Christian Fiction. ‘Hallmarkish’ )
  4. Hosea (KJV)

9: The Bumper Book of Useless Information by Noel Botham. A compendium of interesting but generally meaningless facts. Fun, but there were a lot of repeated ones and some I know are outright untrue. 3/5

Maybe that’s why it’s useless!

10: From the Depths edited by Mike Ashley. A British Library horror story collection themed around the sea; for once I hadn’t read a single story in it, and enjoyed them all. 5/5

All That Glitters by Molly Talbot 3/5 - Personal story of a woman raised in an abusive dysfunctional home and her struggles with mental issues, addiction and broken relationships, and how she regained her life through ice and rock climbing.

1. Genesis NF 3
  2. Job NF 4
    14 Murder in Merino by Sally Goldenbaum
    15 A Finely Knit Murder by Sally Goldenbaum
    16 The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers
    17 An Then there Were None by Agatha Christie
    18 Trimmed with Murder by Sally Goldenbaum

Being snowed in helps with both knitting and reading!!

11: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Classic romantic thriller. 3/5
12: Buried For Pleasure by Edmund Crispin. Humorous mystery. 4/5