2022 Reading Challenge

@crosstitchlinda I love both Christie and Sayers - how would you compare Goldenbaum to them? I’m always looking for new “light” mystery writers.

Goldenbaum is good, but not in their class! They use language so well and so much better than today’s writers. I’d compare Goldenbaum more to Donna Andrews and the like.

#1 One by One by Ruth Ware - 4 stars
#2 The Downstairs Girl by Stacey Lee - 3 stars
#3 The Newcomer by Mary Kay Andrews - 4 stars
#4 Sunflower Sisters by Martha Hall Kelly - 4 stars
#5 The Postmistress of Paris by Meg Waite Clayton - 2 stars
#6 The Last House on the Street by Diane Chamberlain - 4 stars
#7 Reckless Girls by Rachel Hawkins - 3 stars
#8 Mrs. March by Virginia Feito - 1 star
#9 I Owe You One by Sophie Kinsella - 3 stars
#10 The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave - 3 stars
#11 People Like Her by Ellery Lloyd - 3 stars
#12 The Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins - 4 stars
#13 The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman (Thursday Murder Club #2) - 4 stars
#14 The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner - 3 stars
#15 The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman - 4 stars
#16 The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin - 4 stars
#17 The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah - 4 stars

13: The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L Sayers. Classic mystery. 5/5

Not sure, but there is a mix of French and English transliterations of Native American names involved! And yes, northern Mi has many names that are spelled one way and pronounced another.

Metabolical by Robert Lustig
Dr. Lustig’s premise: sugar is nutritionally unnecessary. It is as addictive and bad for the liver as alcohol. The food industry and pharmaceutical companies conspire to make you first hooked on sugar and then dependent on insulin. The healthy way to get food is preindustrial family/local organic farms. He has a valid scientific case, but it is stretched to an extreme. Sounds like the book @annekepoot just reviewed.

His cellular biochemistry might be too much for someone not educated in the field. He seems to have no understanding of life in a rural working class community. Few of his ideas would work here, other than to switch to whole milk.
He praises an idea from 100 years ago as a silenced prophecy if he agrees, but belittles ideas of the same era if he disagrees. He has lots of axes to grind, often calling out colleagues and competitors by name. I am not very political but it was tiresome how he blamed anything bad that happened from 1980-1988 and 2016-2020 on presidents Regan and Trump, but something in 1997 just…happened in 1997. Would have been better if he had made his points graciously and in about half the page count.

@Sjuly - that’s why I like some of the other authors (like Campbell, Esselsteyn, Barnard, Greger) because they give you the facts in a nearly apolitical way - here’s the info, do with it what you will - sort of way. They do, at times, take digs at big Pharma and big Agra but nothing that we didn’t already know or suspect. It’s always “follow the money” and like you said, those big conglomerates know very little about what life is like for the ordinary farmer. Blaming others is never a mature or healthy attitude - “if you can’t say something nice, then don’t say anything at all” - or at least be fair-minded that others may have different opinions from your own. Something we can all take to heart in today’s social atmosphere, whether it is political or health-related.

@Sjuly
Thank you for your review. Very informative. I’m off to find out why I need to go back to using whole milk.

I usually end up reading most books on nutrition that are getting much attention as well as watching about a bazillion videos because it will usually come up in a group I run on Facebook. I agree completely with your assessment of Lustig. He has some excellent points to make but there only thing worse than reading the way he writes is watching him on video. So smug and arrogant. Even if I was completely on board with all his views I would look elsewhere for my role models and inspiration.

@hereami, I buy whole milk because it contains all the fat-soluble vitamins naturally in the milk.

Whole milk is good also because foods with fat satisfy for longer and sooner. This is why fat free foods leave us wanting more. Also fat can add flavor which is why fat free foods add so much sugar.

Choosing Civility: The Twenty-Five Rules of Considerate Conduct by P.M. Forni - This book was recommended somewhere so thought I’d read it. Good rules to follow in an age of increasing lack of manners.

1. Angelina’s Resolve - by Cindy Ervin Huff

I enjoyed this “what if” story. Author Huff explains that the idea came about from “what if” Horace Greeley’s “Go west, young man!” had been answered by a group of women. And while it could have been a typical “I’m as good as any man” type of drivel, it’s not. It’s a refreshingly honest look at what women could – and couldn’t – hope to accomplish on their own in the post-Civil War years. I’m looking forward to the next book in this series.

This sounds interesting. I noticed it was written in 2003. Did you find the information still relevant to what is going on today? (I know Manners are always important.)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/253777.Choosing_Civility

I think it’s even more relevant today with the “cancel culture” and extreme divisiveness we are experiencing (at least here in Canada where we are supposed to be the most polite culture!). It seems like you can’t have a contrary opinion without someone censuring you for your thoughts or ideas. It used to be - we’ll agree to disagree" and now it’s more like “if you don’t agree with me, you are wrong and you are dead to me.” There are some things happening where I think “well, if that’s what you think or feel, you are free to think or feel that, but don’t make me agree with your delusion or your decision.” Anyway, I was reminded myself of some things that we consider the norm nowadays and perhaps it really is rude and I should stop doing that. Always an opportunity to learn.

14: SPQR by Mary Beard. Interesting history of ancient Rome, but the author is a bit inclined to leave out anything that doesn’t fit her viewpoint. Worth a read, all the same. 3/5

I need input from readers. I’m noodling doing a giveaway of one of my paperback novels where I’ve hand-written notes throughout the book. Insights into my writing process, my historical research, why I chose a particular name, what made me laugh or get teary, etc. To enter the drawing, people would have to sign up for my monthly newsletter and/or follow me on social media sites. Do you think readers would be interested in that type of prize?

Definately.
My only thought is those who already love your work, and are following you are left out of this particular give away.
I think they are the ones who would be super duper excited to get their hands on this book.

@hereami, the way the program works - RafflePress, a WordPress plug-in - is that people click on the boxes to enter. If the box says “join my newsletter” and they are already subscribers, it’ll still count that as an entry. Ditto for “follow me on Goodreads” or whatever other boxes I set up. And it looks like I can create a box for “share with a friend” that would also count as an entry. I’m still researching what all the program will do before I purchase it. And thanks for chiming in!

I would think that would be a very special prize for any fan of your work.