2022 Reading Challenge

@annekepoot I think Schatzker just doesn’t have the writing chops of Michael Moss. There were times as I read that he would mention something and I would think, “Ooh! That is quite interesting. Wish he would have organized the book better so that fact would be mentally linked with that other thing…” Etc
As for applying “follow the money” to today… Don’t get me started. My daughter is reading The Real Dr Fauci and we’ve been talking about it all morning.

I’ve been tempted to read that book but I just can’t read things that are really going to upset me deeply right now. What a brave woman.

5: One Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters. second Brother Cadfael mystery, and a classic. 5/5

I read that one last year. I can’t remember exactly how many I read but I need to figure it out so I can go further with the series as I really enjoy them.

@KnitsWithHorses - It’s not a book I would recommend or read again for just that reason - the truth is sometimes too horrible to put into your mind and you trust that someone stronger than you is doing something about the issues.

A Tale of Two Omars by Omar Sharif Jr. 1/5

The Future of Nutrition by T. Colin Campbell - Thorough examination of nutrition today and the influence of business and corporations on what “nutrition” means. Campbell comes from a stance that the science of nutrition was hijacked by ignoring the importance of food on the state of our health, and overtaken by surgery and pharmaceuticals, which both have their place, but not at the expense of food and the impact it can have on our health. A heavy slog and not for the faint of heart unless you love lots of detail, which fortunately, I do!

So how did it compare to his other books for you?

1. Lumberjacks & Ladies - by Jennifer Lamont Leo, Naomi Musch, Candice Sue Patterson, and Pegg Thomas

This was a really fun collection to be a part of. First, I got to write with some of my favorite authors! Second, I got to set my novella in the collection right in my own backyard. Third, I got to write a lighter, more upbeat story after digging into deep issues and harsh history in the Fort of Refuge novels.

Follow the stories of lumberjacks and their ladies as trees fell across the country from 1851 Maine to 1865 Michigan to 1881 Wisconsin to 1890 Idaho.

@KnitsWithHorses - Umm, I think it was too technical for the average reader and written more for those who are really invested in the whole foods movement or for those on the research track. But then, I’ve read the China Study twice, so I probably fall into that category. I guess my only critique would be that it was a tad long-winded on each of the subject chapters.

@Pegg Thomas - It must be fun and a challenge to work with a group of other writers on a common theme!

Woo Hoo!
Did you make a shawl for this Novella??

@annekepoot - it is!

@hereami - you know it!

6: Sands of Time by Barbara Erskine. Short story collection, and a blind pick in a charity shop. Two of the stories, the longest ones, are sequels to novels and don’t really make any sense if you haven’t read those, and I didn’t enjoy the other stories much either. 1/5.

1. AN ARTLESS DEMISE – by Anna Lee Huber
  2. THE DRESSMAKER – by Kate Alcott
  3. QUENTINS – by Maeve Binchy
  4. Quicksilver – by Dean Koontz
  5. ICE (book two in the Mark Kane Mysteries series) – by John Hemmings
  6. A Ripple in Time: A Historical Novel of Survival – by Victor Zugg

Why the heck would they put sequels in an anthology? Sorry your blind pick didn’t turn out fun.

Without the sequels there wouldn’t be enough material to fill a book, they took up half the pages. Never mind, I only paid 99p to find out this author is not for me, and my first one (Captain Corelli’s mandolin) was excellent.

I looked up the Lady Darby series and it looks like it could be a good one for the I Love a Mystery group to consider. Maybe for the not-cozy side? @Lemming13 are you familiar with this series? I’ll definitely be checking it out.

@KnitsWithHorses and @Lemming13 , the Lady Darby series is so much FUN to read. The author is big on the historical fiction angle and she also has a great sense of humor that keeps things “not too heavy.” The author has a FB page for Lady Darby read alongs. https://www.facebook.com/groups/280145276918663