2020 50 Book Challenge ?

Finally!!

1/50 Where the Light Enters by Sara Donati Historical Fiction; New York late 1800s; I give it a 3.

To me, the woes of the world have been making their way into everything and I can’t help but think how many times that was evident in this book. I liked the characters, if only there wasn’t so much of today’s social justice narrative woven into the story to the point I had to resist the urge to spend time fact checking. The distraction is why it took me so long to complete this book (reading since Christmas) and I am sticking with it!:wink:

I’ve seen a movie of that, with William Powell; I enjoyed it, but I really must get hold of the book now.

10: Wakenhyrst by Michelle Paver. Excellent, atmospheric horror story. 5/5

I looked that one up on Goodreads. It’s on my list now!

1. The 5th Wave…Rick Yancey (Audio) 3/5 Dystopian Sci-Fi

11: The Secret Lives of the Nazis by Paul Roland. Not very in depth, more of a dipper-in, but interesting. 3/5

I’ve been reading a lot these last couple of days (too snowy to go out in the garden). So -
12: The Food of the Gods by HG Wells. Not one of his best, a good science fiction concept but spoiled by ponderous “comedy” and very heavy social satire. 2/5

Start with one book and see where you go. One is one more than none! Right now my reading time is occupied by:

#1. The Re-Enchantment of Everyday Life By Thomas Moore

OK. Not finishing this one–and THAT is ususual for me. On the an new one that I will call the real #1. I just don’t know what that book will be.

1. One Second After…William R. Forstchen (Audio) 4/5 Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

13: The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett. Excellent detective story. 4/5

I have it on my “To Read” list. I’m glad you liked it, I’ll keep it on the list.

And another -
14: The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko. Interesting Russian dark fantasy. 4/5

1. Cross Fire Trail by Louis L’amour 5/5 (quick read and helps when I am missing my dad.)
  2. The Thin Man Dashiell Hammet. 2-3/5
    I had a hard time with this one. And in the end I thought the movie was better than the book. I knew the character development, since I had seen the old movies, so I hung in there till the end. I love the awesome banter between the two main characters Nick and Nora, but was hoping for more of it. We are talking about it over on the Mystery lovers group. You all are welcome to join us.
    :fk: edited to add the Group is called… I Love a Mystery

15: Dark Water by Koji Suzuki. Horror stories by the writer who created The Ring. Pretty good and some very creepy. 4/5

#2 The Dead Fathers Club by Matt Haig. 3/5 A ghost story with a twist-a suspenseful and poignantly funny update of Hamlet (swiped from Barnes & Noble)

1. When Did White Trash Become the New Normal by Charlotte Hays 4/5
    One of my favorite quotes from this book is found on page 144. “You may not all be scholars, but you can all be gentlemen.” Captain William Gordon McCabe

2. Being Dead is No Excuse by Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays. 4/5
    “Your emotions do funny things at funerals. You may not even have any emotions. But you can still have grace.” found on page 101.

Both books are humorous and full of southern recipes. Very quick reads.

edit to add:
11. Lean on Me by Pat Simmons 4/5
#1 in a Series. 3 sisters make a pact to keep and take care of their dear Aunt who is suffering from Dementia.
Sounds serious and depressing…but it is not. Christian in theme, love story, family sticking to it’s values, facts about dementia delicately given out, and an encouragement to love on and take care of our ‘care givers’.

16: The Sandman Preludes and Nocturnes, by Neil Gaiman. Dark fantasy graphic novel; excellent, but he was just getting going with Sandman so not the best of the series. 4/5

17: Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart. Charming , funny and touching Chinese comic fantasy. 5/5

1. The Innocent…David Baldacci (Audio) Crime Thriller 4/5

18: A House of Ghosts by WC Ryan. Paranormal mystery set during WWI. 4/5