#2 - Tunisian Purl Stitch - TPS

[SIZE=18px]Hello everyone & welcome back! Today we explore the Tunisian Purl Stitch![/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]We’ve learned the TSS - once you have TPS (Tunisian Purl Stitch) down, there are so many fun projects incorporating this with other stitches!

A video tutorial for TPS is available from CrochetKim HERE.

The Tunisian purl stitch, or TPS, gives a soft texture to the fabric and also counteracts curling. Few patterns use only TPS. I believe it to be a “Utility” stitch in Tunisian crochet more than a design stitch. It’s works so well when combining it with other stitches to create unique textures. This stitch looks almost the exactly like knitted purl stitch. What distinguishes TPS from other Tunisian stitches is the placement of your working yarn when you insert your crochet hook and how you pull up the loops. Just as in knitting, TPS is worked with the yarn held in front of the fabric, rather than it’s usual position behind the fabric.

TPS is a stitch some people struggle with while others have no issues, so don’t get discouraged if it is a bit awkward at first, it may take some getting used to but it is a very good stitch to learn. It’s a little fiddly to master, but with practice it’s a great addition to your skills. Similar to TRS (Tunisian Reverse Stitch), it produces as thinner, less dense fabric.

Hint: A row of purl stitches after your foundation row (regardless of the stitch pattern planned in the project) and another row prior to binding off can reduce the curl of the overall project considerably.

The very popular Honeycomb Stitch uses a combination of TSS & TPS.[/SIZE] [HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]Below is the written instructions for TKS:

Begin this & nearly all Tunisian projects with a Foundation Row:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Create a chain (later we'll explore different cast ons)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](1) Insert your hook into the second chain from the hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Those steps create your foundation row. You'll see your vertical bars across the row and proceed to make different types of stitches in the remaining rows of the work.

TPS with a single ended hook.

Tunisian Purl Stitch (TPS) is worked similar to TSS with one exception: the working yarn is held to the front of your work.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Forward Pass - WYIF (with yarn in front) - Insert your hook from right to left (assuming that you are right-handed), so that the hook goes behind the front vertical bar (keeping the hook to the front of the work, not front-to-back).[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Draw up a loop. Leave it on your hook. Repeat across the row to the last vertical bar before the left edge.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Last stitch of the forward pass - work a TSS final stitch of the row.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Return Pass - Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Continue making Forward & Return passes to your desired length.

Bind off row.

There are only a few times when the bind off isn’t necessary. It typically isn’t needed for most lace designs since that would close up an otherwise lacy project.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Binding off starts just as you would any other row. Insert your hook as you would for TPS.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]WYIF - Yarn over and pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook. You're only doing a slip stitch, just like any other slip stitch in regular crochet. Repeat across the row to the last stitch.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Last stitch - insert your hook under both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and finish the slip stitch. Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.[/SIZE]
[HR][/HR][SIZE=16px][B]TPS with a double ended hook. - Working in the round[/B]

Using a double ended hook produces the same stitch definition as working flat with a single ended hook, but gives you the ability to work in the round. TPS in combination with TSS & TKS in the round adds texture and definition to the project.

We’ll explore double ended stitching in another session.[/SIZE] [HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]Free Pattern[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]Tunisian Purl Entrelac (Video)[/SIZE] [HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]Some examples of TPS. See the photo captions for descriptions.[/SIZE]

TPS Front-Back.jpg

TPS Round.jpg

TPS.png

Block Pattern Suggestion [LIST=1]

• Ch 30
  • Pull up a loop in each back bump of the chain starting with the 2nd ch from the hook (30 loops)
  • Basic Return Pass
  • Work 1 row TSS & Return Pass
  • TSS in next st, TPS x26, TSS, TSS in last st. - Return Pass
  • Repeat row 5 until block measures 5-3/4"
  • Work Bind off row in TSS [/LIST]
  • I’m ready!! Once I get the purl stitch down, I think I will try the block pattern. Off to try a sample. Thank you!!

Have fun!

I have a question about the foundation row for TPS. Do I use the back bump only of the chain? as you say in post 2. The directions in post 1 don’t state this so I’m confused ( I’m easily confused!).

Yes, Ann Landers!! Thanks for the clarification.

“Dear Easily Confused” is how I address myself when I try to read some crochet patterns.

Oh - now I really don’t wish to work, and instead do this block. But - I’ll be a good girl and at least make my way through a few more budgets. :slight_smile:

I’m ready to go, but my wrists are not. I’m going to give them a few more days and see how it goes but I can’t wait to see everyone’s blocks!

I hope your wrist feel better soon! It’s most definitely a different physical movement than traditional crochet.

Thanks. I do remember this from last time. I’ve got some other hooks coming that I hope will help. I have to be careful about overdoing it with the tendons anyway but I’m determined. Maybe slow, but I’m in it now!

I swatched the TPS and think I’m in the category that finds it fiddly. My left egde looks a little wonky. I love the no curl at the bottom.

DSC_0434.JPG

I’m in that group also. I don’t follow directions well so once TexasPurl let it slip that a tps row after the foundation row can be used to tame the curl, I used it on that gold square. Eliminated the curl but took 3 times as long. I know it will get easier with practice but I run out of patience. Even though I look and look I can’t find any anywhere!

I hope your wrists feel better soon. I hate when my body says no when I want to do something.

/hands @pinesprairie some patience/ - it’s all I have but you are welcome to it!!! :slight_smile:

Best to rest! Hope your wrist are ready for action soon!

Thank you for sharing your swatch with us. It looks like your left edge is improving. Can you give us any tips?

Well I’m really glad now that KnitCrate sent me that J hook because I got a notification that Amazon delivered my interchangeable set. Says they handed it directly to a person. Except they didn’t. There are 4 homes on this 2 mile dead end and at 3 of them nobody has my package. The 4th guy (where that fire was the other day) he is very antisocial and if he had it I’ll never know. Second time this has happened in the last few months. Found it by a cattle gate last time. :confused: Hoping I can see well enough tomorrow to try the new stitch.

Oh no! Hopefully it will turn up - any chance they handed it to your son like they did the last package?

@Kathy7661 I used a stitch marker to keep me on track.