Week 1 Prize--Please Read!

WEEK 1 IS ALMOST DONE!

I am so excited to see all the spinning being accomplished this past week! It’s so fun to see everyone’s progress and their lovely fibers and wheels and spindles and such. I am sorry if I’ve not commented on your posts, but there are so many I can’t keep up!! I’m excited to be learning a new technique (long draw) and even though I’ve gotten in daily spinning, it seems slower than I had hoped, but I’m learning and getting the hang of it, slowly but surely. Maybe by the time we’re done, this will be a new favorite technique.

And I said this last year, but I’ll say it again: I’ve enjoyed watching some of the Tour de France as well–I am so impressed with the endurance and strength it takes to ride those hills. At least our spinning wheels stay on a flat surface!! (Unless you’re one of those who are so good at drop spindles that you can walk around while you spin.) I still think treadling should count for exercise. [IMG2=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“src”:“https://ourunraveled.com/plugins/emojiextender/emoji/twitter/tongue.png”}[/IMG2]

Friday is Day 7 of our Spin de Fleece–I can’t believe it’s been a week already! And that means Saturday is the day we will draw for the first week’s prize. This week we will be giving away some fiber donated by @Char – it is lovely Malabrigo Nube 100% merino roving from the Woolery, one of our affiliates. Char says it’s incredibly soft–it almost tempted her to take up spinning! (I think we’re going to have to send her some more roving to tip her over the edge! :wink:)

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: image_8813.jpg Views: 0 Size: 161.9 KB ID: 71383”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“71383”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“data-tempid”:“temp_33_1562977677782_670”}[/ATTACH]

So to be reminded, the rules for participation are simple–you need to have had at least 6 out of 7 days where you’ve spun for at least 20 minutes (or did fiber prep or plying, etc). Again, this is on the honor system and we’re not going around checking to see if you did that or not. (Ain’t nobody got time for that!) So, if by tomorrow evening (Friday the 4th) at midnight you qualified for this week’s drawing, please comment below and post your name. If you care to show a picture of what you did or at least tell us about it, that would be awesome. (And if you had a day where you didn’t meet that amount of time but you made up for it another day, then you still qualify!)

If you’ve already met that qualification, feel free to go ahead and post your name; you don’t have to wait until tomorrow evening to do so. But to keep it fair, no posting after midnight on Friday, please.

I will not be putting my name in any of the drawings and I will be using a random name generator on the internet to draw your name.

Okay, I had a good first week. I spun every day, some days longer than others, but always at least 30 minutes. Here’s what I got done.

Wow–you did have a good week! Beautiful work!

Thanks! I tend to use so much fingering weight yarn that I wanted to add some squishiness to the stash.

I have spun every day of the tour for at least 30 minutes, usually an hour or more. Here is the current bobbin #7, which I expect to finish tomorrow during a local Zoom online spinning event sponsored by my LYS. This is Carlota (C. Hykes).
[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: IMG_20200904_162907.jpg Views: 0 Size: 87.5 KB ID: 71612”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“71612”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]

I spun 30 for all 7 days. No pictures yet. I finished one bobbin and the second is halfway finished. I also put a little on a thired bobbin.

I’ve been mostly working on this. Its a super springy Dorset, and Polypay blend, I got from R. H. Lindsay co. I’m spinning it long-draw and finishing as 2ply.
Its a lower grade that includes some lint, and VM, and a lot of dust, so I’m only working on it outside. the dust falls out nicely as I spin and I just pick out and toss the VM and wast bits as I go. but I got 2 pounds of it really cheap so expected that. all in all I’m really happy with it. Its coming out really fluffy, round, and lovely. and drafts beautifully.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“360”,“width”:“479”,“data-attachmentid”:71650}[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:71651}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:71648}[/ATTACH]

That looks lovely and I’ll bet it will be wonderful to knit. It looks so bouncy and elastic. I’m amazed at how much yarn you have on that spindle!

That looks squishy and nice!

I’ve managed at least an hour, sometimes two or three every day so far. Yesterday I plied 5oz. of BFL, and today I prepped and spun…DOG FUR! :scream: I have an aversion to it, but I have to admit that it’s incredibly soft. I needed to conquer it for 51 Yarns, so today should have been a challenge day for me!

This is my giant Magpie bobbin. It holds so very much that, even if I spin 30 min a day for a week, it hardly makes a splash! On the right is where I started with blue Targhee, on the left is the slow progress of brown shetland covering it over. :grinning:
Edit: Being in Alaska, I know I’m past midnight elsewhere, but I thought I’d share anyway!

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!! @Carlota – you are the lucky winner!! @Char will need your mailing address to send you the lovely fiber she is donating. Congrats to all of you for working so hard this week! Keep up the good work. Our first rest day is coming on Wednesday, the 9th, and you’ve all earned it!!

I included you in the drawing. Your yarn is beautiful!

Yes, every time I brush out our Golden retriever’s hair, I’m struck by how soft it is, but just can’t bring myself to spin it. Good for you on doing the 51 Yarns! You’re welcome to call today your challenge if you want since tomorrow is the challenge day. That would take some effort, just to get past the fact of spinning dog fur, for me anyway.

It just looks so super soft and squishy!! Good work!

I’ve added you in–can’t wait to see the pictures! Keep up the good consistent work!

@Carlota – I’m sure you’re eager to give this yarn a try… you’ve certainly spun a large amount of it! It’s beautiful and I can’t wait to see what you knit with it!

Congratulations!!!

Love everyone’s fibers. So pretty!

Oh my goodness, thank you! I haven’t won a prize in about 50 years! Blushing here!

I think it would be strange indeed to be able to keep spinning for over a week and not change bobbins - but that would also be very nice for portability’s sake, and I guess you have an idea of how many ounces have been slurped up. And for plying it would be so luxurious to wind up with huge skeins.