There's a problem

I wonder if others are having this problem. Someone is sending me emails from “Creative Crochet Corner.” The e-mail contents resemble some things Arakhne’s posted, though that doesn’t mean someone else isn’t copying her style. But instead of a video, they contain a button to “DOWNLOAD PATTERN” and, if clicked, this button opens a form that demands the e-mail address to which the e-mail was sent. So the sender, who blocks replies, is phishing on someone else’s behalf.

I suspect whoever it is got my e-mail address from this site. That doesn’t mean anyone who posts here is doing it; I’m trying to find out whether others get these e-mails, and, if someone here is involved, to let that person know that this is not a cool way to build an e-mail list.

1 Like

Can you forward one or more of the suspicious messages to me, as an attachment (important for examination), at heather@athebyne.com ? I should be able to figure it out from there.

1 Like

I’ve gotten 24 of those emails since 30 July of this year. I never opened any of them since I don’t crochet. I just figured it was something from a site I’d visited and forgotten about. I did click on the “unsubscribe” at the bottom of one and it takes me to a form to create an account so I can change my email preferences. If I don’t have an account yet, how did they start sending me emails in the first place? :thinking:

Addendum: I just noticed that the emails are coming to a different address than the one I use here. The email address I am getting the Creative Crochet Corner emails at is nowhere on my FiberKind profile.

2 Likes

I went through all the emails I’ve gotten from the Creative Crochet Corner and only one of them came to the email address on my FiberKind profile. It appears to be something to do with Premier Yarns (which I know I am registered with) but I can’t explain why I am getting the emails if their own site says I am not registered with them.

1 Like

Yeah, it looks like they picked up your email from somewhere else. Your email address here is only visible to admins, and neither of us are affiliated with Creative Crochet Corner. The emails aren’t going through our system, either.

I’m pretty sure it’s illegal for them to require an account signup to unsubscribe from their mail. For the unsubscribe link, they may legitimately request that you put in the email address which is getting the unwanted mail, but cannot force you to give any other information.

If their unsubscribe link isn’t working that way for you, reporting it as spam should tip off your email host to keep it out of your inbox in the future.

2 Likes