SkeinLink web application for project and stash tracking

https://github.com/heatherathebyne/skeinlink

I succumbed to the urge to write a new piece of free and open source software for tracking my projects and stash. I’m designing the architecture to be able to grow into a multi-user shared project, pattern, and stash tracking system – something I’m missing, these days. I make no promises as to what I will actually release, since coding time cuts into my knitting time, and I haven’t figured out how to do both at once* :wink:

If you are here looking for a personal download-and-install project tracker, this might not be the right one for you. This is a web application designed to be hosted on a web server. It’s usually not hard to run it on your own computer (especially if you’re on a Mac or running Linux), but you’ll need to be technically adventurous if you don’t already have that knowledge.

Anyway, I hope it helps someone. Okay, I’ll admit I’m really hoping for code contributions, too :slight_smile: It’s a pretty standard Ruby on Rails application so far, if that’s your thing.

Screenshots and caveats from the README: [HR][/HR]Personal project warning! I’m writing this for myself first, and features are implemented in roughly the order in which they are most important to me. Code quality may be all over the place. Specs will happen when I feel like writing them. I <3 pull requests!

This is not desktop software! If you are here looking for a personal download-and-install project tracker, this might not be the right one for you. This is a web application designed to be hosted on a web server. It’s usually not hard to run it on your own computer (especially if you’re on a Mac or running Linux), but you’ll need to be technically adventurous if you don’t already have that knowledge.

This is nowhere near feature complete! Or even feature adequate.

This is currently not safe to put on the public internet! No spam protection, project authorization is all over the place, no file type restrictions, … the list goes on. It’s not that the app is inherently unsafe, just that I haven’t yet put in mitigations for certain common methods of abuse. [HR][/HR]
[HR][/HR]

• My spinning wheel, on the other hand, is probably the best physical tool I have for solving coding problems.

project_page.png

single_project.png

You are awesome! I look forward to seeing your progress!

No screenshots yet, but I’ve added a barebones yarn database function and company listing. I’m now to the point where I’m starting to catalog all of my stash – meaning that I don’t anticipate having to backfill a bunch of stuff later :wink:

If someone is interested in hosting an instance for multiple people, please reach out – I’m willing to work with you to make it safe to run on the public internet, and otherwise provide some support.

@HeatherAthebyne Do you mind if I scope it out and see if it could dovetail into the vbulletin authentication and plugin as a widget?

Sure thing! I’m not familiar with how vBulletin does auth, but I’m using a pretty robust library (Devise) so there is probably a blazed trail between the two.

Who was already using a new version of encryption? Did you manage to lock the local file? I must be doing something wrong because I cannot achieve the result. Where to read about advanced settings of the latest program version? I am looking for some professionals in my city. The population is Seattle is big, so I am sure I can find somebody here without any problem. What do you think?

I’ve added basic stash functionality, and the underlying structure to later support usage tracking and a yarn database. :tada: I also updated the main post to clarify some things – it’s not impossible (and probably not even hard) to get SkeinLink running locally for yourself.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:34210}[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:34209}[/ATTACH]

I forked your repo! Yay! I have no experience with Ruby (Python and PHP here) so we’ll see how it goes. :slight_smile:

Yay! Ruby’s a lot of fun :slight_smile: PHP was the first language I did any serious work in, and I’ve done a tiny bit of Python work.