September 2023

@Char I LOVE your little Scottie dogs!

I am going to have a pattern published in the next Blocked Magazine, so I have been working on making sure everything is right in the pattern and knitting up both versions. I just went to start on the larger one and realized I didn’t have enough of one of the colors, so I have to run to the store today and get some more…even though I was JUST there yesterday! I am a little nervous because I haven’t found anyone else to test knit the pattern for me yet, but I will be sure to share the link when the next issue goes live anyway! :crossed_fingers:t3:

3 Likes

Since retiring in May of 2021, I have been expanding my charity knitting to several organizations. Just finished blanket number 36 for this year. It took me awhile to settle on the organizations, as unfortunately, some of the organizations are not very kind to donors. I think it is a mind set of “that’s the way we have always done it” and “these are the only people we want involved”. That said, I have found several wonderful organizations that are so appreciative. I have been knitting for over 60 years and I do quality work with quality materials. I don’t “need” to be thanked because I give without expectation of being thanked but it is very nice when they do. Has anyone else run into any issues with charity organizations?

6 Likes

IA slightly different problem - the craft group I belong to has several members who knitted blankets and clothing for premature babies for our local hospital, but earlier this year when one of them took several months’ worth to them she was told they didn’t want any of it, they had too much stuff. But another of the group went on a different day and was told by a different member of the preemie staff that they did want as much as they could get. Also, I and others used to regularly donate handmade hats, gloves and scarves to a charity for the homeless but when a new administrator took over the charity she said they didn’t want any more handmades, and we should only donate cash or store bought items. I am told as well that some charities locally are not worth approaching to volunteer unless you already know someone who volunteers, because they make it very clear you are not welcome if you don’t have a friend on the inside. Sadly, some people care less about the causes they are supposed to support and more about their own cliques, power bases or snobbery.

2 Likes

Thank you for answering! Yes, that is just about exactly what I have been experiencing. An organization that I have knitted baby blankets for recently told me they were “holding” my blankets and that I didn’t need to make anymore for awhile. Then I see a notice in a church bulletin that they are looking for volunteers. :person_facepalming: Another organization I contacted wouldn’t tell me where the meetings were held. :person_facepalming: That said, I have several wonderful wonderful organizations (not local) that I have found to donate to.

2 Likes

How sad. What country are you in? In the USA, I know there is always a need for wool hats for military members. I know of a group called Warmth for Warriors and there is another that accepts hats for sailors.

Another charity that I have sent things to is Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. The people are so poor and the living conditions are terrible. They are very appreciative though you don’t get an acknowledgement because they are so overwhelmed.

1 Like

I am in the U.S. I do support Pine Ridge - I agree they are very appreciative. Been working on a stack of stuff for their holiday parties. It is very easy to get in touch with the coordinators there - which I much appreciate. There are a few organizations (mostly national) that are heartwarming to work for. The issues I had are mostly with the local groups.

1 Like

I don’t donate to local groups because I find they give the items to people who are not in need. For example, most of the people in my community have plenty of money so a charity that gives a free blanket to every kid who comes to the hospital seems ridiculous to me. If I took my sick child to the hospital, I did not need a free blanket. My guess is that lots of these blankets are given away or thrown away when the child goes home because it doesn’t coordinate with the child’s bedroom colors! If I go to the effort to make something (blanket, sweater, hat), I want to give it to someone who needs one of those items.

Another charity I like to support with small, handmade items is Operation Christmas Child. You fill a shoebox with goodies and drop it off at a local drop-off spot and the boxes are shipped overseas to poor countries. I have made handmade toys, little pillowcase style dresses and beaded socks.

3 Likes

I think you are correct about donating to local groups. Not everyone appreciates the love and care that goes into a handknit or crocheted blanket. I started knitting blankets for a local group (a chapter of a national group) where you have to drop off your blankets in a designated location. While dropping off the first two blankets I made I noticed the drop off bin was nearly full of what looked like “used” blankets. Okay - not my call. The next time I was going to drop off the coordinator told me she had already picked up for the month and was taking the next month off so the blankets wouldn’t be picked up for two months. So I called the national headquarters to find out if I could ship the blankets directly to her and the woman in charge of donors actually yelled at me! So I donate blankets to people who will use them - several different pregnancy support centers - Rachel’s Gift - Pine Ridge Reservation - and Covering the Blue. All of these groups are very thankful and supportive of the donors.

4 Likes

I’ve started giving blankets to local homes for seniors with dementia, a local animal rescue and two children’s hospices. The old people love the textures of knitted and crochet lap blankets, every resident gets their own; the same with the rescue animals (though they don’t take crochet unless it’s very dens, no holes to trap claws or paws), theirs go home with them when they are adopted. And the hospice kids love a handmade blanket in their favourite colours. They also let families have them from the senior homes and hospices as a memento of loved ones they have lost.

2 Likes

Whew, I didn’t realize how blessed I am to have a local org that interfaces with a bunch of different local hospitals, hospices, shelters, etc. so I can just drop off my things and they will distribute it appropriately. They’re always sending out emails about current needs for a bunch of different places.

5 Likes

I had never actually done needlepoint before. Saw some neat church work, and figured it was time to try it. This is a vintage kit acquired inexpensively off ebay; figured it was a good way to start, and it has been thus far. I’m still trying to get my tension right, but enjoying it.

Bonus cat.

5 Likes

I have recently been treated very poorly by our local Quilts for Kids chapter director that I have given so much to over the past couple years. I had to leave the group. It is sad when organizations act that way. I miss some of the people, but they come see me at craft days I hold at Town Hall. :slight_smile:

I have found other organizations that will love what I make. And I get to make things that make me happy, and will make children smile. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Speaking of crafting at Town Hall - I finished this yesterday at our monthly crafting day. :slight_smile:

And today I started making mug rugs for a retreat I leave for next Wednesday. So far we have 25 people - it is a guild retreat. I’m betting by the time it comes around we’ll fill the facility. I think we can have 34?

7 Likes

You do such beautiful work! I am so sorry you had to leave your group, and I understand how you feel. That has been my quest, as well, to find the organizations that love what I make and for me to able to make things that make me happy and children smile. Some of the things that happened to me have pushed me toward the organizations that are happy to receive my work.

5 Likes

Your Scottie quilt turned out so cute. Do you have someone in mind to give it to?

3 Likes

Very nice and feminine, but I also loved those BRIGHT baby hats in the SkeinLink. Fantastic!

4 Likes

Started my 1st ever Stephen West project while the sleeves of my Eileen Cardigan were blocking, The Jigsaw Puzzle Blanket. I’m using handspun that are bright and some are from my early spinning days, but figure it’s nice to use them.

4 Likes

:heart_eyes: I am looking forward to seeing your bright colors.
I have never seen one of his shawls, out in the wild. Or known anyone who made one.

Are you using 2 circulars? or more?

Thank you! I loved the bright scrappy hats too! I wanted to make one for myself, but I know I just don’t wear hats very often because it just doesn’t get very cold here, so I made them for the family reunion instead. The biggest one I made was a teen/small adult size and an adorable girl of about 12 bought that one. It looked SO cute on her, but I didn’t know her parents personally so didn’t feel comfortable taking a picture of her. Two of the baby hats were bought by my niece for her boys, so I’m going to have to ask her to send me pics of them wearing them because they are SO cute (both the hats and the boys!)

1 Like

I don’t have anyone in mind for the Scotty dog quilt. I’m not sure I can bring myself to donate it, but maybe. :slight_smile:

3 Likes