OLAD!!! You know you need it!

I tried the non skid pads under my Leclerc Artisat on a wood floor. They were only marginally successful. But they do help a little. But the Artisat is VERY light. I think your Mighty Wolf is heavier so would probably work better. This is a great get for you. If I had a choice this is the loom I would buy. Enjoy!!

How exciting! What a wonderful Christmas present for you, I can’t wait to see what you weave.

That’s awesome! For under the feet, I might think about cutting up one of those silicone potholders into quarters - something super grippy. My loom is very heavy and is on carpet and does not slip. I think the carpet helps buffer the noise and vibration, but I think it’s good to try the easiest solution first. I love wood floors! Congratulations!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! @oldeworldfibres - I can see where you read that wrong and I do hope to try weaving a rug or 2 on it, but it’s generally not a heavy-duty loom, so we’ll see how that goes.

I think I will try the suggestions you and @Carlota mentioned with the nonskid options. We do have a basement underneath and anything that happens on that floor echoes throughout the whole house because of the open ceiling in the basement–our daughter had this for her bedroom and we could hear any time she dropped a hairbrush or something. She learned to holler when she dropped something to let us know it wasn’t anything serious, even when it sounded loud, so not sure how this will go! :slight_smile: @maryemilee - it’s possible this one will be too light, like yours, but I’ll give it a try and go from there.

@FreedomLover - I am eager to start weaving on it, but I think it will be after Christmas and maybe after the holidays in general. I watched Kelly Cassanova’s class on floor loom weaving all the way through and I want to use her pattern, so I’ve ordered the yarn from the Woolery just to keep it all the same for my first run-through, and I don’t think it will make it at least until after Christmas and maybe later, the way the mail has been these days. Also, it sounds like my folks might be coming up and we might possibly be keeping my Mom here for a week or 2, just to give my Dad a break from being a caregiver. They both had covid and they are both getting over it fine, but Mom has a bit of early Alzheimer’s and takes extra care, so we are hoping to get her to come up and stay with us for a while. So all that to say I’m not sure when the weaving will happen, but we’ll see!

[QUOTE=camelheights;n4093]Finally I was able to locate a Louet David 8 shaft 36" weaving width loom!! It is a long story how I came to own it. There is two parts missing which I have on order from Louet!!

[/QUOTE]

Woohoo! Congratulations! I have the same loom and love it!! You must tell the story :blush:

A lot of my friends knew I was looking for a David Loom. Someone in Ft. Myers Florida sent me a text about a new Louet David 90-8 in box for sale $2500. I replied to the message and found myself a few days later driving 3 hours one way to Ft. Myers. It was pick up only. I met a very nice lady. She works at a center for disabled adults. So I had my choice of 5 boxes to choose from. She had 5 of these Louet David’s new in box! They were donated about 2 years ago to the center. I selected what thought was the best box, no rattle. They loaded it in my car and on the road again home…3 hours. I am not a long distance drive. I am a GREAT long distance rider and can relieve you for 1-1.5 hours then I will sleep for the rest of the day. So this was a huge adventure for me.

As tired as I was when I got home, I unloaded the huge box by myself, got it into the kitchen. HAD to open it up! I found an extension cord, 2 curtain rods, a woolen banner with the hanging bar attached, then I saw the bottom of a David loom. The castle was on the bottom of the box! With more curtain rods, some nasty looking cords to weave with. I emptied the entire box. There was a used Louet David loom, but not all the parts were there. After I cried, I called the lady, I had her personal cell number. She couldn’t believe it! She promised that tomorrow she would open all the boxes, find the new loom and have it brought to me. There was no new in box loom to be found in any of those boxes. But she did have the parts that were missing from mine and replacement parts for pieces that I wasn’t happy with. But she was still a 6 hour trip away and I was in no mood to do it. The gal who mentioned the ad to me just happened to be going from Ft. Myers, her home, to Jacksonville, 5 hr one way trip. I met her along the highway to exchange parts. So now my loom is almost complete! ALMOST!! It turns out that all of the looms in the boxes were missing the swinging beater bar, the beater bar parts to attach to the loom, and the two toggles with the O rings that are at the end of the two beams. So the price went way down from the $2500 cash I paid for the new in box loom. I contacted Jane Staffords group, and the missing pieces are still available and should arrive at my home withing 2-4 weeks.

And that is the rest of the story!

Well, not true. I have been listing the other David looms as she builds them, from the instruction sheet I found on line. So far, I have been able to direct 2 buyers to her. She still has 2 other David looms, but I don’t know anything about them to list them for sale. To me, some weaver is getting a great loom at a great price. And the center is getting $$$ to help their non profit group, that helps adults with disabilities. Its a win win to me!

Sorry you asked for the story? ha ha

Every loom seems to have a story…and this is a great story!! Thanks for sharing and no, I’m not sorry I asked! :blush:

@DebbiRYarn It’s always so fun to purchase a new loom…and we always find a way to justify it. :blush: You’re excuse, I mean reason, sounds like a good one to me! Post pictures when you get it.

@DebbiRYarn I probably don’t either :grinning::joy:. I am such a sucker for nicely made handcrafted tools. I saw this lady’s work on a Facebook group page and was instantly ensnared.

It came, it came!! Looks like it took a detour all the way to Africa. :flushed:

It’s beautiful! If only it could tell you about its travels…

Thank you @DebbiRYarn !That would certainly be a hoot if it could. I had given it up as lost, but glad it turned up.

@yarnforall What a lovely loom! So glad it arrived, happy weaving!

Thank you, @Kathy7661 . I didn’t like the agony of thinking it was lost, but ultimately it was well worth the wait. The creator of these does exceptional work.

So…it’s official!! I’m sending off a check to the (now) former owner of a Mighty Wolf Loom. I think it’s really a good deal–only $1800 for the loom, the bench, and all the accessories!! The owner is away from home until the 10th, so hopefully soon after that we can meet up and I will bring it home. Super-duper excited!

Thankfully I didn’t have to twist my hubby’s arm too much. I guess it’s a combo Christmas gift/pay for doing our family and farming bookwork. (Hey, I had to sell the idea somehow. :wink:)

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: 121274987_3977643125584880_7751860714206379910_o (1).jpg Views: 0 Size: 176.8 KB ID: 83506”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“83506”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: 121150294_3977643288918197_7685199992717726376_o (1).jpg Views: 0 Size: 124.9 KB ID: 83507”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“83507”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]

Congratulations!!! It will be happy in its new home for sure. :fk:

Thanks, @Char ! I really wanted something wider than my 24" RH loom and I had been looking for used 32" looms over time and I just decided that since I knew I would someday want a floor loom anyway, that it made more sense to just get a floor loom with that width instead of spending around $500 or more on a RH loom with stand and all it’s accessories, then turning around and buying a floor loom. This is 36" wide, so it’s perfect for most of what I want and I can do double-weave as well for blankets if I want. I’m excited to think about also making fabric to sew clothes with. I have seen some of those on RH looms, but so many of them look boxy or square. I want to have something that I can cut with a pattern and make it look “normal”, if that makes sense. I grew up learning how make my own clothes, so I think I could definitely do it!

Congratulations! I look forward to seeing what you make on it.
looks like an excellent deal to me.

@Sommerfugl , I think it is a good deal. I’ve seen some since then and they are about the same price (anywhere from $1500 on up) and most of them don’t include a weaving bench. I’ve priced the benches alone and most of them are around $400+, not to mention all the accessories she’s got here, so I feel like it was a bargain. I’ve purchased a weaving class from Kelly Casanova and I’m already starting to watch it so I will be ready to go when it comes!

I’m so excited for you - I don’t think you can go wrong. These have tempted me as well (but I love my old Leclerc Fanny so no need). I would have a hard time passing up a Baby Wolf though. My local weaving shop is a dealer too so I could try out. That’s a nice array of stuff to come with it too. When I took my floor loom class last year I was on a David so did not get to weave the Mighty Wolf that was there but they are lovely to look at. Schacht products are nicely made. Kelly is a wonderful teacher - do share about that class. If you are on Craftsy the Janet Dawson floor loom class is quite thorough and I seem to recall it is taught on one of the Wolf line looms.