October 2022

He also said, if you can get varying size of wood that fit easily in his hand and make different smaller items that is a good way to start. He said whales or sitting birds are a good way to introduce yourself to the craft.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. I found a youtuber with great videos. He did one on different brands of knives. I think I’m going to go with Beavercraft. They were his #2 favorite and they have nice kits with a few knives, strop and a carrying case. They have one kit that also has a scooping tool and a spoon sized block of wood. My son loves wooden utensils so I think he would enjoy making a spoon.

3 Likes

WIP Wednesday! I’m making scrubbies for stocking stuffers. My son loves orange so these are for him. I’m experimenting with Yarn Bee Scrub-ology Scrub It yarn instead of Red Heart’s Scrubby. They are both polyester but the Red Heart Scrubby is softer and is an eyelash yarn. I know I like Scrubby but the Yarn Bee is substantially cheaper so I’m using one skein to test it. I’ll have to get one of these scrubbies wet and feel it. I’m doing two different patterns of scrubbies.

4 Likes

I would love if you showed off his work here (if he’s ok with that)! We have a friend in Michigan who is deep into it and he gave us a couple of pieces and I love them!

2 Likes

Would you Let me know how it holds up and how effective it is :blush:

I won’t be able to give a durability report until after Christmas. I can tell you that Red Heart Scrubby is great. I use it on dishes and on myself! I keep a scrubby on my potting bench where I have a sink. I use it for scrubbing garden dirt off my hands. I hate wearing gloves! I also have one in the shower that I scrub with to knock off any chiggers. I’ve never gotten chiggers in my garden but I got them once when camping from just sitting in my lawn chair. They were awful! I read that if you scrub before they really get chewing, you can knock them off so I scrub just in case. The Red Heart Scrubbies show no signs of wear and I made them a couple of years ago.

4 Likes

My WIP Wednesday :camping:

6 Likes

What is it going to be?

Update on scrubbies - I tried making one with my favorite scrubby pattern but it didn’t work at all. The Yarn Bee yarn is so much stiffer. I have finished two using a free Yarn Bee pattern leaflet I picked up at Hobby Lobby. The pattern calls for making two circles and single crocheting around both of them. I thought it was a bit big so on the second one, I made the two circles but just stitched them together.

1 Like

I’m so your family will be all together for Christmas this year.

1 Like

people are showing off their works-in-progress - so here’s mine :rofl:

I’m going to knit it for my husband

7 Likes

For my Wips this week I am working on a brown and purple cowl and a knit hat.

I had great difficulty casting on for my first choice pattern for the hat. So, in frustration, I grabbed a headband I had knit last year to use as the brim for my hat. I picked up stitches and began knitting. My goal was remembering how to work in the round with so few stitches. I am finding it easier to use 5 double pointed needles than the one cabled needle I had. Next up, I get to practice how to do deceases on a hat.

5 Likes

My son used to whittle … One thing I appreciated, is when he wore and apron or had a piece of canvas over his lap, to catch the shavings!

2 Likes

Great idea. I love aprons so I have one he could borrow. I just ordered a new one for myself that is waterproof. My aprons are all that stiff canvas type material but when I wash a lot of dishes, I manage to get the front of me soaked.

2 Likes

Have you ever tried it? I’m wondering if it’s hard on the hands because I’ve thought about giving it a try. Tony said it wasn’t but sometimes mens and Womens hands experience things differently. I’m wondering if any gals on here have tried whittling?

2 Likes

No, I don’t think I’ve ever tried it … other than whittling ends of sticks to use as hot dog sticks for campfires :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have finally finished knitting with the awful twisty yarn and cast on a blanket because it is unseasonally cold here in Melbourne at the moment. Not like Spring at all…

5 Likes

Happy Finished Object Friday!!! Have you finished anything today? I’m working on cutting fabric for QFK today. Hoping to finish the box soon, so I can begin quilting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@LizB I have knitted with a twisty yarn before but it wasn’t too bad. The orange one in this picture is from a my LYS owner and dyer. This one is very twisty and I am starting to get annoyed.
Any helpful hints?

@Char I managed to finish a hat this week. Woo hoo! It wasn’t knitting in the round that was the problem for me. It was the tool I was using to do it. Once I switched to the multiple needles I sped along nicely.

2 Likes

@LizB

Please post the info about the Breast Cancer fundraiser going on in your area.
The prizes sound amazing.

1 Like

Happy Saturday everyone! It is crafting day at Town Hall…. There are 7 of us so far, and I have confirmation of one more coming eventually. We range from 12 to 60+. I love it.

What are you doing today?

5 Likes